The online racing simulator

Poll : How are things?

All is good
I like unicorns
All is bad
I've been bored with LFS before, now just returning to it for a play. Maybe I'll get bored again quickly, not sure.

Our racing team has almost died, think most people in it got bored too. We're all still here, just not playing LFS as much any more.

My home life mostly killed LFS, I had 2 kids (ok so the wife did that bit), moved house (back to Scotland), but now I've built a large shed in the garden for the computers and the wheel is set up. I plan to play a bit tomorrow night and we'll see how it goes from there.

I think some of my boredom comes from being slow.. doh...

Yes granted, LFS could do with some updates. Its still the best feeling racing sim out there and I still enjoy scoffing at the Xbox360 boys going on about how realistic (insert game name here) is. Mind you these are the same crowd that think playing FPSs using a joy pad is the most accurate way. LOL.

Oh and the forums? Not sure, don't visit all that often. Sometimes I pop in and its the usual sort of thing, think that's what forums are about though, they follow the product. If the product is mostly the same sort of thing it was a year ago, then the forum will be too.

We also have to remember LFS is unique. There is no other game that has gone on this long with such a large following (ok there may be a couple more). We're all passengers on the LFS ride to glory!

Keep on Moooing.
4 years in ,still not at wr pace. So much left to lurn. so many races to win.
:nerd:
How can you give up if your not the best yet?
The pope owes me a beer!

I think the forums would be re-lifted if I started to post here again. Sadly that may happen depends if I can take the abuse from short people like tweak

wub you all!

Started in August 2002 back when the gravel and grass didn't slow you down one bit. Also we were allkinda noobs...apart from Cedje Devro but he was a robot.
A bit bored I must say. The game still feels mostly like back in the day when I first heard of it at the West Racing forums when the first public version was found. I was preaching it to everyone I knew in those days. Today I'm a bit turned off because the lack of immersion, meaning I need more realistic/photoreal graphics/effects (dare I say improved shadows) and most of all the last lil bit of truely driving the car. Sometimes I do feel a bit disconnected. Whether that be the fault of graphics/sound/physics, I'm not sure, probably all of them combined.

But in the end I'm anxiously waiting for the Y-patch and seeing what improvements there are to be had. Some new toys like the Frex stuff could help too, but those being a bit too expensive considering the lack of time I'm investing in driving games in general...
Bored with LFS of bored with the content?.

TBH, I find it VERY difficult to get bored with LFS, I mean, it's racing, and racing doesn't get boring.

However, I am VERY bored with the content in LFS, driving round and round the same old tracks, with the same old cars is now starting to get very tedious, and I do find myself looking toward things like rF,GTR2,RACE etc etc, to allevate the boredom.

I notice it even more so when looking at combo's for the upcoming RSWC, every combo I look at gives me the same " christ, another 30 laps round that track?" feeling, and it is a bit worrying.

IMO, the core of LFS is good enough to stand up against the test of time, however, the development team REALLY need to step up and give us some new (not re-hashed or re-jigged) content, tracks or cars, or both, and SOON.

p.s., your poll options SUCK
I'm bored with LFS, but then again I'm only a demo user. Hopefully I'll have enough cash to buy S2 soon, then that will tie me over for a few months, but I'll probably start itchin' for content like the rest of you fools. Allas, only time can tell.
~Bryan~
w00t, post 400 I'm getting up there.
Quote from dropin_biking :I'm bored with LFS, but then again I'm only a demo user. Hopefully I'll have enough cash to buy S2 soon, then that will tie me over for a few months, but I'll probably start itchin' for content like the rest of you fools. Allas, only time can tell.
~Bryan~
w00t, post 400 I'm getting up there.

Get a lisence and you can survive 4 years like us other did :P
new tracks would be really a good addition...
I'm somehow bored even that I haven't played much lately (in the past half year) because my wheel is starting to fall apart (G25 has been on the "things to buy" list for about an year already... ). Partly lost intestest because of that altough I haven't played much other sims either.

Everyone is wanting new tracks, new tracks and new tracks... but that doesn't fix the problems in the current tracks. Also people should realize that improvements to certain areas (tyres, damage, especially engine damage) would concretely change how you drive the old tracks. Maybe you even would need to brake for the chicanes...

Devs could easily spice up this time of silence by giving a little teaser (read: screenshot). "Yeah they don't do hype" and from a player's point of view that policy blows but how could a single screenshot from the new cockpits (that have been promised to be in the next patch many times) be anything else than good? It would be a clear message from the devs that "we're working on the game".

Also it doesn't feel good that the patch Y might be the last ones for S2 before final tag. I think there are just too high expectations and this patch might be one of those make it or break it kind of patches.

Quote from deggis :
Everyone is wanting new tracks, new tracks and new tracks... but that doesn't fix the problems in the current tracks. Also people should realize that improvements to certain areas (tyres, damage, especially engine damage) would concretely change how you drive the old tracks. Maybe you even would need to brake for the chicanes...

Devs could easily spice up this time of silence by giving a little teaser (read: screenshot). "Yeah they don't do hype" and from a player's point of view that policy blows but how could a single screenshot from the new cockpits (that have been promised to be in the next patch many times) be anything else than good? It would be a clear message from the devs that "we're working on the game".

Yes indeed, got to agree with that. Physic improvements should chance the game totally! And it would be great to give a sneak peek some time before the official pre-patch madness teasing starts! We haven't seen anything from Eric in the last year, so one screenshot wouldn't be that much to ask, but their choice I guess.

Quote :Also it doesn't feel good that the patch Y might be the last ones for S2 before final tag. I think there are just too high expectations and this patch might be one of those make it or break it kind of patches.

Well, what I understood, they are just going to get rid of the Alpha tag because it makes the game unappealing for some people trying the demo. Alpha is linked to buggy products that don't work and such. But I think Scawen promised that the work should still continue improving the S2 before work on S3 is started.
Quote from deggis :Devs could easily spice up this time of silence by giving a little teaser (read: screenshot). "Yeah they don't do hype"

Hmmm I seem to remember that whenever there's something concrete we get teaser shots and "something is coming" reports on the main site.

Quote from deggis :Also it doesn't feel good that the patch Y might be the last ones for S2 before final tag..

I thought it was last before "beta" tag, no?

I agree though with the change in gameplay dynamics affecting the appeal - even a slightly revised damage model, as I mentioned on the second page of this thread, would indeed change things dramatically.
I am still enjoying LFS for the most part, I have only been playing for about 10 months though, so I haven't been playing as long as the rest of you have. I don't think that new content would make me play any more that I do now, as I usually stick to the FOX on only a few track layouts.

The only problem I have at the moment, and probably will continue to have for a long time, is that there usually aren't many people racing online when I am. Since I'm over in the states, it seems like there are a lot of people racing when I get home from work, 5-7 pm usually. Problem is, I'm so tired when i get home that chances are good that I'll fall asleep behind the wheel after more than a couple of races. By the time I am really ready to play a couple hours later, there is no one left and I usually just end up running laps by myself working on setups. Not really the developers fault at all, just wish more people over here played this. I still have the weekends to get some good racing in though, so its not all bad.
Ya I remember when I was visiting these forums more than ten times a day and catching anything that's unusual (yes, patches come under this category) but now that I'm at university and life has started kind of rolling on its own I don't have time to visit here.
As a matter of fact I don't really miss this forum as there hasn't been much noteworthy changes to it but more importantly, to LFS.

I'll get an e-mail of patch Y anyway without having to come here hunting patches and seeing people burning banana'ing each other

So all is fine for me.
Official state-of-the-thread post
Dear LFS community,

I'm officially positively surprised that the vast majority of participants read between the lines and understood what were my grand schemes for making this thread:

A) Hearing honest views and feelings from both newcomers and veterans about the state of LFS's development
B) Getting laid

Despite Cr1t1calDraft's feeble attempts to troll the über-troll himself, I'm proud that we managed to share a wide spectrum of boredom and frustration mixed with joy and freshness.

Personally I have no problem jumping aboard to other sims if something better - or shall we say more interesting - comes along. However I have a hard time believing that a community surrounding a game could get much better than what we have here.

I propose a toast to all of us and Godspeed Live for Speed - for better or worse!

At the time of writing of this post the grand scheme success rate is at 50%.

EDIT: Success rate increased to 100%!
I can't say I'm bored with S2 yet, as I've only been licensed for just over a week, but to be honest, the one thing that's killing me (at least S2-wise) is the lack of actual good servers.. Yes, I like cruise servers, because when I have a rough day or something I don't have to worry about the pressure of real racing, but seriously, wtf is this? There's only a handful of racing servers open regardless of what time it is, and I'm getting tired of it..

Since my demo days, the lack of new, changing stuff, has been boring me. I've been playing since Patch U, and besides physics and graphics improvements, I haven't seen anything really worth getting super-duper-omg-addicted to LFS for. Yes, I love LFS, and to be honest, I play pretty much every single day, but with each passing day I my interest in it decreases little by little. I think it's time for an actual update, not just bug and physics fixes..
You, sir, you confuse me

@ Spanky ofcourse
Quote from Mithras :I can't say I'm bored with S2 yet, as I've only been licensed for just over a week, but to be honest, the one thing that's killing me (at least S2-wise) is the lack of actual good servers.. Yes, I like cruise servers, because when I have a rough day or something I don't have to worry about the pressure of real racing, but seriously, wtf is this? There's only a handful of racing servers open regardless of what time it is, and I'm getting tired of it..

Since my demo days, the lack of new, changing stuff, has been boring me. I've been playing since Patch U, and besides physics and graphics improvements, I haven't seen anything really worth getting super-duper-omg-addicted to LFS for. Yes, I love LFS, and to be honest, I play pretty much every single day, but with each passing day I my interest in it decreases little by little. I think it's time for an actual update, not just bug and physics fixes..

Maybe there should be ratings for servers. 1 to 5 stars for example, depending on player preference, race frequency, ping (global average) etc.
#119 - col
I don't understand all these folks hoping for new track(s).

My understanding is that we will get new content each time a new 'S' number is released. ie. S1 = got some new content, S2 = got some new content... part of the business model is that we pay for new content, and it is added per major release. So I don't expect any significant additions to content until S3.

We might get an easter egg or two if we're lucky. Maybe a new car, or a new track configuration.

I think we will most likely get some reworked improved versions of existing cars/tracks (either/or).

@ the folks wanting regular public test patch releases: I think that is very unlikely. In the last development stage, Scawen was working on 'compatible' components. things that could be updated without having to reset LFS World, stuff that would not prevent folks with earlier development patches from racing folks with the latest one.
Now he is working on game elements that would break compatibility with each patch released. If these updates were released as regular test patches, LFS World would become meaningless and the community would become fractured. It's not going to happen !
Nowadays I'm mostly online at weird times when I'd have the choice to race either FOX BL1 or ASNat GTR, both of which are super boring unless I'm lucky enough to meet some Aussie who is up to par. It aint all bad but LFS World is like a ghost town at night.
Quote from spankmeyer :EDIT: Success rate increased to 100%!

well jack does refer to himself as a forum whore after all

to the actual point of this thread
my lfsing is suffering from having little time to devote to it
additionally its not so much that i am bored with all of the tracks and cars its just that i dont like a large portion of it ... most noteably aston which doesnt have a single combo i like

as for this forum im just happy that xaotik is back to complete the triumvirat of good humour again
Quote from Blackout :Well, what I understood, they are just going to get rid of the Alpha tag because it makes the game unappealing for some people trying the demo. Alpha is linked to buggy products that don't work and such. But I think Scawen promised that the work should still continue improving the S2 before work on S3 is started.

Quote from xaotik :I thought it was last before "beta" tag, no?

I exaggerated but I also said "last ones" and I mean major, incompatible updates. Now Scawen is fixing the AI so it looks like he wants to fix the obvious faults (too bad that for lots of players AI isn't an issue at all) and stamp the beta/final tag on the game... which would basicly mean goodbye for lots of features until S3.
Quote from deggis :which would basicly mean goodbye for lots of features until S3.

I very much suspect the feature list for S2 was, for the majority, decided upon a long time ago.

Just look at the last version of S1 and compare it to what we have now. If the change is as pronounced from S2 to S3, then there should be little to worry about.
#124 - Rob
For me it's the lack of apparent progress which means I don't bother coming here too regularly anymore.

What's so hard about writing a regular dev update? I think it'd help show which direction the devs are taking and would also help get the majority of people excited about the new content.

As it stands we're left speculating about what Scavier is working on, we assume it's going to be good as we've not heard much for a while, but we just don't know...

The game needs a few more tracks and a lot more car types, surely this wouldn't take too much developer time and would yield a lot more interest in the game.

I've been stuck tweaking the game to try and eek out a bit more pleasure from LFS, but even that gets boring after a while.

Rob
Quote from spankmeyer :Dear LFS community,

I'm officially positively surprised that the vast majority of participants read between the lines and understood what were my grand schemes for making this thread:

A) Hearing honest views and feelings from both newcomers and veterans about the state of LFS's development
B) Getting laid

Despite Cr1t1calDraft's feeble attempts to troll the über-troll himself, I'm proud that we managed to share a wide spectrum of boredom and frustration mixed with joy and freshness.

Personally I have no problem jumping aboard to other sims if something better - or shall we say more interesting - comes along. However I have a hard time believing that a community surrounding a game could get much better than what we have here.

I propose a toast to all of us and Godspeed Live for Speed - for better or worse!

At the time of writing of this post the grand scheme success rate is at 50%.

EDIT: Success rate increased to 100%!

Despite spankmyarse's feeble attempts to try to make a funny post, I'm glad we managed to keep our sanity in his thread.

In other news, everyone says that s2 will instantly elongate your enjoyment here, but I managed to stay almost 2 years enjoying a majority of demo.

I mean s2 is fun and all, but it's not the complete zenith of LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG