The online racing simulator
Don't buy Test Drive Unlimited
(55 posts, started )
Oh man, where do I start on this piece of crap.

First things first, the game hardly even WORKS. When I first bought it, it was unplayable because the graphics were totally glitched and screwed up. After the year it took them to fix THAT (which happens to ALL nvidia card users, good job testing, morons) the game is still broken. As soon as I go within 2 miles of another human player, the game basically freezes. And I can't even force quit.

Oh, and the physics are terrible. Nothing at all like a real car, it's just dumb. And I get constant framerate stuttering. Oh, and the publisher is so hard-working, they released 30 downloadable cars for the 360 version, and only 2 for the PC version. Because converting them is just SOO hard. Sure, it has pretty graphics. But if you want decent FPS, you need a $3000 computer (or you can turn all the settings to minimum, so the game looks terrible)

I wish I had bought it more recently, so I could get a refund for this crap, but I bought it in March, so it's too late now.

Advice: NEVER buy a game from Atari. NEVER. Every single game Atari has ever published is riddled with bugs to the point that it's unplayable, without exception.
#2 - Jakg
FTR it is NOT every one with an nVidia card - i never got an issue like this.
And fyi: Atari has changed ownership a few times in recent years and so the development team has changed with that. The name Atari has been passed around the computer industry like a bottle of port at a state dinner.
AND fyi there's a whole thread going through this already
Quote from dude56 :Oh man, where do I start on this piece of crap.

First things first, the game hardly even WORKS. When I first bought it, it was unplayable because the graphics were totally glitched and screwed up. After the year it took them to fix THAT (which happens to ALL nvidia card users, good job testing, morons) the game is still broken. As soon as I go within 2 miles of another human player, the game basically freezes. And I can't even force quit.

Oh, and the physics are terrible. Nothing at all like a real car, it's just dumb. And I get constant framerate stuttering. Oh, and the publisher is so hard-working, they released 30 downloadable cars for the 360 version, and only 2 for the PC version. Because converting them is just SOO hard. Sure, it has pretty graphics. But if you want decent FPS, you need a $3000 computer (or you can turn all the settings to minimum, so the game looks terrible)

I wish I had bought it more recently, so I could get a refund for this crap, but I bought it in March, so it's too late now.

Advice: NEVER buy a game from Atari. NEVER. Every single game Atari has ever published is riddled with bugs to the point that it's unplayable, without exception.

Ok, In no order. (And I am not a TDU fanboy)

1) Several people on my xfire/msn have said they have no problems with it. What are your specs btw?

2) Where does it say TDU is a sim? It is marketed as an arcade game, the physics reflect that. The unlockable hardcore mode is more of a sim-lite physics. NOWHERE does it say 'TDU tries to be a sim'

3) 'You need a $3000 computer' Ok then, how come my TDU works just fine on a £700 computer, With all the settings on high, that was bought in January?

'The game is riddled with bugs' The game does have problems. BUT IMO it is great for firing up and just cruising, a good stress-reliever. I can count on one hand the # of crashes and freezes I have had.

'Never buy a game from Atari'. Ooh, look, there's Pong, shall I stay clear of it in case the ball vanishes? Or one of the paddles moves in the wrong direction?

DK
Not very true. With a 5000+ and a 1950pro it runs great with 50FPS+
Quote from Crazy Harry :Not very true. With a 5000+ and a 1950pro it runs great with 50FPS+

Almost same here, A64 3800+ HD2600XT ,the dude has just shitty PC ,and cuz he cant play it himself ,he doesnt want other to have fun.

But about the "Dont buy games from ATARI" ,im agreed ,almost all games ATARI made are crappy in bugs, they all have stupid bugs etc...

But TDU is fine for having fun, but about the cars ,really WTF - 30 cars for xBox and 2 for PC ,but the car models in TDU are reallly
well... Matrix - Path of Neo was crappy...but HEY - IMHO - It's got some of the best fights you can find ANYWHERE in games (TEKKEN can hide under the bed) especially on PC...

Quote from Kirill.D :Almost same here, A64 3800+ HD2600XT ,the dude has just shitty PC ,and cuz he cant play it himself ,he doesnt want other to have fun.

not obligatory true
Pentium 3.0, 2GB Ram, Ge Force 6600 (256mb)
under 20 FPS in 640x480 while in low quality settings of the game...
Every game such tbh, the only one that haven`t is LFS... You could compare LFS with Chuck Norris, they are equally good
TDU worked fine for me until I plugged my wheel in, then it became a stuttering mess.
Hooning around on the bikes using a joypad is great fun though.

The only other problem I had was that the uninstaller deletes all files in the root of C:, which isn't as widely discussed as other bugs but is pretty serious.

Both the above bugs were in the closed Beta, and didn't get fixed for the release.
runs fine here Pentium d920 @3.03 ghz X1650 pro oce'd and 2gb ram run at 1680x1050 @most 36 fps with all settings upped
i've never had any problems with this game, and i use Nvidia. TDU is great fun for meeting up with some freinds and cruising along in the nice cars
Quote from Bean0 :TDU worked fine for me until I plugged my wheel in, then it became a stuttering mess.

Had the same trouble with my old pc. Was a 2800+. Since I have the new one no more problems with this. Maybe too much for the old pc to calculate all that ff stuff.
#14 - Jakg
Had the same issue with my kickass 3700 @ 3 GHz, yet not when i use my Momo, it's a TDU bug....
Once i was thinking of buying it and i had a chance to play it at an internet cafe..Physics didn't feel more advanced than "road&track-need for speed". Gfx sucked on a mid range gpu and i decided to buy a bottle of Olmeca instead.

Now i think if you take it as a simulator it sucks.But might be a good game if you want to do cruising online with a few friends.
Quote from dude56 :

Sorry , but atari have a great games like , Neverwhinter night , NWN SoU , NWN HoU , NWN 2 and expancions ,D&D online

IMO, if you don?t a good pc perfomance , dont play game you can?t handle
________
Angelina jolie pictures
Yep. Maybe I should also point out that Atari is the publisher, not the team who made it (afaik). If the game is faulty blame the team who made it.

Atari has published at least one Firaxis game and so far every game out of them has been superb (the old MicroProse wizard Sid Meier works there).
Don't forget the Unreal series, those are Atari IIRC and I've never once had the slightest issue with any of them.

As for TDU; I've also never had one single problem with the game. The public relations people, on the other hand, all need to be fired. The joke that became the download release was absolutely pathetic.

TDU is great fun, though, for a time.
Quote from dude56 :Oh man, where do I start on this piece of crap.

What u said is TRUE.

This game is just ****ed up. I spend €50 for this shit.

Very funny huh?

I firstly played this stupid game at Single player mode. It looked all fun. But i came about 20 bugs across game freezes, crash gameplay sux, Hardcore mode is just a dumpshit mod.

I rather could spend my money on R****tor. I was damn mad that day. I wanted to bring it back. But it had a CDkey so it wasnt possible.

So.. I made someother boy happy with it. (Hope so)
If something like that happens to you, that doesen't mean everyone is having that, i have that game and NO FREEZES, NO BUGS, NO CORRUPTED SAVES, WORKING GREAT!

Why didn't you get a torrent for a test, so you could see if you really wanted that game.
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Why didn't you get a torrent for a test, so you could see if you really wanted that game.

Isnt that exactly why people get the ":bananadea" on here?
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :If something like that happens to you, that doesen't mean everyone is having that, i have that game and NO FREEZES, NO BUGS, NO CORRUPTED SAVES, WORKING GREAT!

Why didn't you get a torrent for a test, so you could see if you really wanted that game.

That what you said is illegal and very greedy. I have my own money and i buy everything i want. But too bad Atari got me bad.

After waiting 10 years we got a patch. With only 2 cars? This is even worrse than before.

This aint funny

I'm never going to buy a Commercial game anymore.

PS : I removed all games that i had. BF2 and LFS is the only games that are alloved in my HDD.
Quote from MAGGOT :Don't forget the Unreal series, those are Atari IIRC and I've never once had the slightest issue with any of them.

As for TDU; I've also never had one single problem with the game. The public relations people, on the other hand, all need to be fired. The joke that became the download release was absolutely pathetic.

TDU is great fun, though, for a time.

Sorry Maggot...but the Unreal series ONLY became Atari with Unreal 2-The Awakening.. annd that was the biggest pile of donkey droppings that ever bore the name 'Unreal!'
Original Unreal and Unreal Tournament were first released through Epic Games. Dont know if Atari bought the company or just the rights...but they screwed up the game completely IMHO.
Unreal 2 was so full of bugs on release it was almost unplayable....er...hang on, where have I heard that before recently????

If you want another example of a total Atari cock-up...take a peek at 007 Nightfire.
Quote from zeugnimod :Isnt that exactly why people get the ":bananadea" on here?

The difference is that LFS has a proper demo version, and quite a generous one at that. TDU has no demo version, thus you have no idea how it is going to run on your computer and after all the rant and raves on the TDU official forums (both the US and the UK/Euro), there is no way I would purchase the software without testing out a proper demo. Thus, yes I did torrent it myself, and I found no problems whatsoever on my 2 year old $500 US computer.

It was an interesting concept, but would get old fast. I deleted it without purchase as I don't think I'd run it much. I was going to buy it for the kids, but they don't seem to be interested either.

Sorry, if you can't provide a proper demo for a possible purchaser to try while reading comments from other users on how atrocious the software is, then you are not getting my money. LFS S2, I promptly decided to purchase about 15 minutes after S2 demo was released in April of 2006. I only had to wait 2 months for it to be available.
I know, everybody and their mother does it. I wasnt really serious.

Actually, when you say that your 2 year old PC can run the game, Im tempted to do so myself.

(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG