The online racing simulator
on the rare occasion that my fw900 works i use 100° (vertical equiv to 90° on a 4:3)
Quote from Bob Smith :The last time we had this discussion, I dug up that post you are referring to and turned it into a simple app:

http://lfs.thefloatingwidget.net/files/FOV_Calc.zip

Would it be possible to update it so i can calculate my FOV for a 17" TFT 16:10 screen?

The smaller size available is 19"

Thanx
20" 204BW 101deg
Close to around 70 degrees. I move it a little one way or another for different cars. It is what looks most natural to me, regardless of how much dashboard fits onto the screen.

24" widescreen LCD @ 1920x1200.
does it matter what your resolution is for this program? Would that have an effect on your FOV at all?
The aspect ratio has an effect, but otherwise no.
#33 - FL!P
Apple Cinema Display 20", 1680x1050. FOV 85°.
Quote from poirqc :Would it be possible to update it so i can calculate my FOV for a 17" TFT 16:10 screen?

The smaller size available is 19"

Thanx

Done. Download it again.
I'm between 55 and 70 FOV on my 22" 16:10 and it feels good. I will never understand anyone racing with 90 or more as 70 already feels too "fishy". (On my 19" 4:3 I used around 60 on most of the cars and never went much above as I would lose perspective)
Wow. Different strokes I guess. Alot of different strokes. And no. I was not really looking for the be all end all answer. I only was interrested in what the responses would be to see what people though. I am finding FOV in the low 90's is doing the trick for me.

Again. Just curious. Thanks everyone.

C.
#37 - Juls
Just a little precision concerning FOV.

Let's say I have a 22 inchs, the screen is 30 inchs from my eyes. I use the formula to know what FOV my screen really represents....result: XX degrees.

If I use these XX degrees in the game, what I see on the screen is what I see in a real car if I cover everything with black fabric excepted a 22 inchs wide hole located 30 inchs away from my eyes.

Of course objects are undistorted. But is this realistic? Maybe for a tank driver...

Until we have surround, 180 degrees screens, chosing FOV is still a compromise between:
- an undistorted tank view....not realistic
- a distorted view, with a FOV closer from our real FOV (180 degrees)...not realistic too.
I use 65 most of the time on a 24" widescreen.
90° with custom view. Y to front. See the picture!
Attached images
Cockpit.jpg
Quote from Luiggi :90° with custom view. Y to front. See the picture!

LOL, If only we could see the picture
Quote from mrodgers :A true driver doesn't need the gear indicator. He knows what gear he is in just by feel

Sorry Jack, had to say that, hehe.

Agreed, its like saying you need your Speedo....
I dont have a widescreen, but i use a widescreen resolution with black bars on 21" Trinitron. 1600x900 resolution because it gives u more information left/right. And I use fov 105, but this will position you very far from the stearing wheel which seems very weird, so i repositioned the custom view to look more natural. under fov 90 there's no way i can play, lower than that gives u way too less information and feel of speed, as if you look thru your camera with the lens fully expanded that just scary to drive with. Also fov 90 is the default angle in which u play much FPS games like quake. 90 degrees seems to be very natural point of view, everything below is like a telelens and evenything higher seems distorted. But i played quake at fov 130, so you figure :P
But then again, wide angle lenses are often used to give more awareness of a room. Well, that is what you want in a game like this so a higher fov, to ME seems very logical.

To some who just can't stand wide angles because it seems weird, that is just because you are used to something different. Everything seems weird to what you are used to. But if you play like a day on fov 100 when used to 70, you can't go back to 70 anymore. You will feel like someone trapped in a box with one little hole in it.

this is what it looks like:

http://members.home.nl/stefankoopmans/LFS/fov105.jpg
I change mine every time I change car. I like to be as narrow a FOV as possible while still allowing me to see around me a little.
Quote from BruTaLysT :I dont have a widescreen, but i use a widescreen resolution with black bars on 21" Trinitron. 1600x900 resolution because it gives u more information left/right. And I use fov 105, but this will position you very far from the stearing wheel which seems very weird, so i repositioned the custom view to look more natural. under fov 90 there's no way i can play, lower than that gives u way too less information and feel of speed, as if you look thru your camera with the lens fully expanded that just scary to drive with. Also fov 90 is the default angle in which u play much FPS games like quake. 90 degrees seems to be very natural point of view, everything below is like a telelens and evenything higher seems distorted. But i played quake at fov 130, so you figure :P
But then again, wide angle lenses are often used to give more awareness of a room. Well, that is what you want in a game like this so a higher fov, to ME seems very logical.

To some who just can't stand wide angles because it seems weird, that is just because you are used to something different. Everything seems weird to what you are used to. But if you play like a day on fov 100 when used to 70, you can't go back to 70 anymore. You will feel like someone trapped in a box with one little hole in it.

All I can say is ... WOW that looks like it would be pretty cool! I am going to try that. You go 105 and then push your head towards the steering wheel in the custom view?

I shall take it for a rip tonight I hope.

Thanks a million!

C.
Thanx again Bob the mod!
Quote from BruTaLysT :I dont have a widescreen, but i use a widescreen resolution with black bars on 21" Trinitron. 1600x900 resolution because it gives u more information left/right. And I use fov 105, but this will position you very far from the stearing wheel which seems very weird, so i repositioned the custom view to look more natural. under fov 90 there's no way i can play, lower than that gives u way too less information and feel of speed, as if you look thru your camera with the lens fully expanded that just scary to drive with. Also fov 90 is the default angle in which u play much FPS games like quake. 90 degrees seems to be very natural point of view, everything below is like a telelens and evenything higher seems distorted. But i played quake at fov 130, so you figure :P

Worked like a bloody charm. Thanks for the tip.
Widescreen improves my FPS as well as the GFX has to draw less (unimportant) information.
Also, everything looks much more realistic now. Better feels for speed, I see more yet distortion is at minimum (I settled for 92 FOV over 104 as it looks better for me)

Thanks again.
#47 - Davo
98degrees on a 22" widescreen @ 1680x1050. I just played witht he FOV till I got something that looked good and that's the number that came up.
83% on a Dell 22' 1650x1050. Of course i got some help with the info :-)

Quote from BlueFlame :Agreed, its like saying you need your Speedo....

Please, for the love of god, keep your speedo on. In fact, put on some proper pants.

Just over 100.

Too much and it distorts too much, too little and I lose so much of the sense of speed, I end up overshooting every other corner.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG