The online racing simulator
92 15,4" toshiba m30 pro
#52 - JTbo
Quote from mrodgers :A true driver doesn't need the gear indicator. He knows what gear he is in just by feel

Sorry Jack, had to say that, hehe.

I can't see the gear indicator in any of my LFS cars. Not because of the FOV, but because my wheel blocks that area of the screen.

There IS gear indicator in LFS? I did not knew that before, how I have managed to miss that

Doh, there it sits right in middle of rpm gauge and I could not remember that, maybe I just don't pay attention to it, same way that I don't pay attention to other gauges, lfs is good there than one can drive by ear to some extent.
#53 - CyCo
i use 120 on 19" WS
seems like alot...
will try lower (<90) tomorrow
#54 - DRat
22" 16:10 screen at about 28": 58-65 degrees approximates reality.

The "feel" of it is in the view of the track, other cars, and trackside objects - tune for what seems close to a real world perspective (to you) from the cockpit, and just move the seat back if the tach is blocked. Drivers who don't use the cockpit view probably feel more at ease with a wide-angle FOV.

With the cockpit view and a realistic FOV, there is always the drawback of not being able to see both sidemirrors without looking to the right, anyway, but the alternative is a "fisheye" perspective. I use my 5.1 audio system to tell if someone's close beside me, and I don't often look there except for a flash view going into or out of corners to avoid running over anyone.

If we were AI we wouldn't have to worry about such things - just mash the throttle and stick to the racing line no matter what.
I like anything between 80-90, it depends on what car i'm using.
I use 136 on my 57" monitor how i love my triplehead2go

With my 24in screen on 1920x1200 I've been using 95 degrees so far, which I'm liking. I can see the mirrors in the single seaters, and I feel it gives a good sensation of speed.

I do remember using as low FOV as I could in GPL back in the day to get a better sense of the movement of the car (as wien has discovered with LFS), but I just like using a higher FOV to see more around me when racing in LFS. I will probably try a lower one and see how I get on, maybe put the virtual mirror back on if I can't see the real mirrors.
I use 95 degrees with my projector. I just checked Bob's FOV tool and it recommended the same. Can't get any better than that.
i use 120 on 4440x1024

#60 - Juls
There is another formula you can use for FOV...

Let's say you are happy with a given FOV on a small screen (we call it smallFOV).
If then you use a x times larger screen, what FOV should you use to see the same thing than before in the center?

largeFOV= 2*atan(tan(smallFOV/2)*x)

For example if you are comfortable with a 90 degrees FOV on one screen and then you put three such screens together, largeFOV=143 degrees. With this FOV, center screen will look the same than before with only one screen.

If you switch from a 4/3 screen to a 16/9, x=1.33

90 degrees FOV on a 4/3 screen corresponds to 106 degrees fov on a 16/9 screen...etc.
mine varies from car to car to get the best realistic perspective i can... i imagine it as sliding my seat back and forth to get comfortable with the car's dash and mirrors.

most cars fall between 88 and 95 for me with 2-6° of tilt towards the center, so i can get both side and rear view mirrors in view (does not apply to SS, obviously).

this is all on a 22" widescreen LCD.
when i was on my 17" CRT (1024x768)my FOV was at 90° .now that i have a 22" wideboy (1680x1050) i run at 90°-100° depending on what view i am using.
I use between 80 and 85 with my 1680x1050 setup.
BUMP!

22" in 1680x1050 here, FOV is 80 in FZR...
20" in 1680x1050 here, FOV is 100-110 in all cars. Been doing TBO class for a while, so maybe I would change to lower if I were to drive cars like the BF1.
22" 1680x1050 and 90 FOV
#67 - Osco
22" screen @ 1680*1050, between 85 and 88 FOV, depending on the car I drive.
btw just tried 70 degrees FOV incar view and its nice, maybe ill go a tad higher but i will see
Ima using 24'' 1920x1200 and ~103° FOV, depends on a car. Was such a jump from 17'' but I raised the FOV a bit and its amazing driving now... I feel more in touch with the car, virtualy in my head.
BenQ E2400HD 24" 1920x1080, 90degree FOV
I found a good FOV short time ago...

Widescreen: 22" - 1152 x 864 pixels
FOV: 84
Wheel: Logitech G25

With virtual steering wheel off + driver off and adjusting so you are "sitting" highest as possible in the cockpit, you get a good feel with the car, speed etc... I have planted my Samsung 22" screen close up to the G25 so when i look down at the virtual speedo, its the G25 its located behind and not a virtual steering wheel... Pretty realistic
20" 1,680x1,050 FOV 98
19" 1280*720, I use 96°

According to Bob's FOV Calculator I should be using 38°, but when I use that FOV I can just about make out the bottom of the windshield. There's no feeling of speed either, I got a stop-go for the first time in years when I was going along the pitlane in FZR

I don't get people who use much higher FOVs, like over 120° (without having a special screen setup of course), everything appears stretched. And then when you look left/right everything gets skewed to the point of seeing nothing
100º FOV on a triple 19" (3840x1024)

And in the past 65º when using only a monitor (19")
Only can comment on single seaters since there the only cars i driver in cockpit view, 100 FOV (110 with MRT) 24" 1920x1200 here but been thinking about triple monitor setup for awhile but went for watercooling instead.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG