The online racing simulator
OK you widescreen drivers... What FOV do YOU use?
I know there are a few FOV threads that discuss this and so on and 90ish seems to win. This is not quite the same question though.

However. I am more interrested in Widescreen players specifically. Not so much the surround guys with triple head setups. Just plain and simple 16:10 and 16:9 Widescreeners.

I ask because I just started playing again on my Samsung 226BW 22" 1680x1050 screen. Having issues finding an FOV I am confortable with.

What FOV just feels right and gives you your best times.

C.
112degrees on 24' dell ultrasharp.
#3 - Jakg
Personally i think i use 84° on a 22" WS, i've tried 100+ but it just feels... wierd.

Of course with my FOV the MRT is undrivable because you can't actually see the gear indicator etc.
Quote from Jakg :Of course with my FOV the MRT is undrivable because you can't actually see the gear indicator etc.

A true driver doesn't need the gear indicator. He knows what gear he is in just by feel

Sorry Jack, had to say that, hehe.

I can't see the gear indicator in any of my LFS cars. Not because of the FOV, but because my wheel blocks that area of the screen.
#5 - Jakg
Yes, but good luck driving when you can't see the RPM indicator, and thus have no idea when to change etc. In the FXO i could manage, but knowing when to shift comes with experience, experience i don't have in the crappy (imo) car.
102 to get me full view of the mirrors in the tin tops. You can usually use around 80 for the winged single seaters to see both mirrors but I'm using a 21'' monitor so I think it differs. The bigger the monitor, the smaller FOV you can use. I think if you use a wide FOV (between 90-100) its good because you get a good combination of feeling of speed and you can see a lot of the corner when going in not just turning seeing barriers all the way round
#7 - wien
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :112degrees on 24' dell ultrasharp.

Same screen but I only use 70 degrees. Used 90 for the longest time, but suddenly discovered it's faaar easier to tell what the car is doing at lover FOV as smaller movements result in more apparent camera movement.
115degrees on a 17"
#9 - Hawku
~90 with 206bw (20")
95 FOV with a Samsung 205BW, 20" Widescreen.
Somebody once posted a formula to use to get a "natural" view FOV setting, I think it was on the old forums.
That formula would be a good place to start if anybody stil hase it available.

The formula used screen size/resolution and your eye's distance from the monitor to calculate a FOV that would give you the correct perspective or "viewing window" as if it were a window looking into the real world.

I have a 20" 1680x1050 wide screen (new to me ) and I use upper 90's for the most part right now.
#12 - arco
Quote from cvearl :I ask because I just started playing again on my Samsung 226BW 22" 1680x1050 screen. Having issues finding an FOV I am confortable with.

I have the same monitor. Haven't touched the FOV settings, so I guess they're at default.
Quote from mrodgers :I can't see the gear indicator in any of my LFS cars. Not because of the FOV, but because my wheel blocks that area of the screen.

Same here.... sorta. I have two screens (one for driving games, behind the wheel, and one for everything else) and I leave them both on while driving, so I can see my indicators in the second screen

I'm using whatever FOV the game downloads with, I never changed it. I use LFS's widescreen effect thing though.
#14 - Jakg
Question - Why use LFS's Widescreen thingy?
Quote from Hallen :Somebody once posted a formula to use to get a "natural" view FOV setting, I think it was on the old forums.
That formula would be a good place to start if anybody stil hase it available.

The last time we had this discussion, I dug up that post you are referring to and turned it into a simple app:

http://lfs.thefloatingwidget.net/files/FOV_Calc.zip
OH! you mean widescreen , I thought you meant "windscreen" drivers as in drivers who use the cockpit view
Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT (approx. equivalent to a 22" widescreen LCD in terms of screen size and shape)
1920x1200 @ 85Hz, 16:10 aspect ratio

I use a 90 degree FOV. Any less and you'll have blind gaps between straight ahead and looking left or right. Any more and you'll have overlap. Plus 90 feels natural to me, which is really all it comes down to.
Quote from Jakg :Question - Why use LFS's Widescreen thingy?

Cuts away some of the top and bottom of the screen, helps improve the sense of speed.
Quote from Bob Smith :The last time we had this discussion, I dug up that post you are referring to and turned it into a simple app:

http://lfs.thefloatingwidget.net/files/FOV_Calc.zip

Thanks Bob. That calculation proves to me that a much lower FOV than most people seem to use is more natural.
Mine comes up as 59, I actually use 65 in all Sims.

90 is already distorting things horribly, how anyone drives with anything over that I'll never know.
Samsung LE32R7 LCD (16:9, 32'')
@ 1360x768 (60Hz)
FOV: ~90°

MfG Reese
90 fov @ 144 x 96 inches (1280x768)
Quote from MINIz guy :95 FOV with a Samsung 205BW, 20" Widescreen.

Exactly same.

Anyway, you should try out what suits you the best instead of asking what others use.
#24 - DGW
82 degrees on a 22" LCD widescreen
Quote from The Moose :Thanks Bob. That calculation proves to me that a much lower FOV than most people seem to use is more natural.
Mine comes up as 59, I actually use 65 in all Sims.

90 is already distorting things horribly, how anyone drives with anything over that I'll never know.

I drive with 100 degrees but then I have a triple-monitor setup. Natural FOV is just under 80 degrees from where I sit (when racing, I'm further back, natural would be about 95 if I were driving with mouse). The centre screen shows the same image as a single monitor setup running.... OK I've forgotten how to work that out. :|

Quote from geeman1 :Anyway, you should try out what suits you the best instead of asking what others use.

Spot on. It completely depends upon the size of your display, how close you are to it, and most of all, personal preference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG