The online racing simulator
Small `city` car advice needed
(40 posts, started )
The story is that my Mum has a new idea to expand her business and it requires a little car to nip about the city and I've been nominated as driver.

My car (Renault Clio) MOT and road tax is up next month so my plan is to get it through the MOT, tax it for another 6 months and sell it. Problem is I need a new CVD as the passenger side one is knackered and making a lot of noise Frown Seem to be a common problem as so far I've had no luck finding a car with one still intake at the scrapyards...

Anyway, the question is any recommendations for a small `city` car. As it will be the car I run around in most it will do the occasional dual carriage way trip but tbh as long as it hits 70mph I'm not fussed.

The current list of possibilities:

Toyato Aygo
Toyato Yaris
Peugeot 107 (not so sure on, after my experiences with the Renault...)

Second hand price of upto about £3/4000

Requirements
  • Must be quite funky looking, is going to be stickered up with my Mum's new idea
  • Good MPG, heard the Aygo can get something like 60MPG!
  • Cheap road tax band, £35 per year
  • Group 1 insurance
  • And finally must have at least enough space for 4 people, for the occasions I find myself transporting my brothers about
#2 - Don
what about the new suzuki swift?

(5 doors version is alsa available)
I'd suggest the Aygo Wink I've always liked the car, quite nippy through towns, although if your mum plans to carry alot of stuff in the boot then that's a no go, if not then Aygo would be your best bet. Smile
Toyota Aygo, or a Toyota Yaris if you can spare the cash.

Plus you can play football too with it ^_^
Peugeot 106 would be a good car to buy, but as it's french, its not very reliable. What year is your mom's clio? my step-mom used to have a 2002 Renault Clio Extreme 1.2. Were going to sell it soon for about 4k, the clio holds it's value very well and is quite reliable. So my suggestion would be to go for a newer clio.

Frenchy
Quote from Don :what about the new suzuki swift?

(5 doors version is alsa available)

Thanks, didn't think of the Swift. Shall look into it! Smile

Quote from Xaid0n :I'd suggest the Aygo Wink I've always liked the car, quite nippy through towns, although if your mum plans to carry alot of stuff in the boot then that's a no go, if not then Aygo would be your best bet. Smile

The stuff that it will be carrying are items that would fit on the passenger seat and rear seats etc so there will be plenty of space. The only thing is I do R/C racing so can carry quite a lot of gear but I'm sure it would fit with the rear seats down. The only plus to the Clio is it has a good boot size.

Might try and get to my local dealer for a look/test drive of one next week.

Quote from VTiRoj :Toyota Aygo, or a Toyota Yaris if you can spare the cash.

Plus you can play football too with it ^_^

Hehe Tilt

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Peugeot 106 would be a good car to buy, but as it's french, its not very reliable. What year is your mom's clio? my step-mom used to have a 2002 Renault Clio Extreme 1.2. Were going to sell it soon for about 4k, the clio holds it's value very well and is quite reliable. So my suggestion would be to go for a newer clio.

Frenchy

It's my clio If I remember correctly it's a 1997 model. Tbh I'm staying away from Renault, they are a pain in the ass to work on when something goes wrong. Not to mention they seem to be bad on CVDs, even one of the CVDs are going on my Grandparents 2003 model and they drive like pensioners do... It also costs me £115 a year to road tax and gets just 45MPG when driven very carefully.
what about the VW Fox?
#8 - TiJay
Not sure about the insurance or tax, but a Kia Picanto dieseld does 60MPG.
just buy diahatsu charade , but one with the 1.5 liter engine , you get cheapist insurance ( lowwer then most deawoos !! ) it will cost like 1000-1500 and with the change left over you can insure it pay road tax and even stick a nice stero in it !!

also expect 60-70 mpg round town aswell as the fact that it will never see a garage ( unless being serviced )

also note thats the petrol version , 1-1.2 litler deisils have been known to do over 80 mpg !!
Quote from ACCAkut :what about the VW Fox?

Did look at one but not very funky/eye catching. The car will be advertising our business and new service (gifts on the go) while I'm out in it so needs to be quite eye catching.

Quote from TiJay :Not sure about the insurance or tax, but a Kia Picanto dieseld does 60MPG.

Just not that eye catching is the problem.

Quote from theirishnoob :just buy diahatsu charade , but one with the 1.5 liter engine , you get cheapist insurance ( lowwer then most deawoos !! ) it will cost like 1000-1500 and with the change left over you can insure it pay road tax and even stick a nice stero in it !!

also expect 60-70 mpg round town aswell as the fact that it will never see a garage ( unless being serviced )

also note thats the petrol version , 1-1.2 litler deisils have been known to do over 80 mpg !!

Looks like a pensioners car Schwitz, not sure if I'd class that as funky

Also ammendmant to my first post, should be 107 not 106.
Avoid Korean, buy Toyota Nod
#12 - mr_x
I drive a Yaris (old model) and it drives like a sack of spuds. It's not group 1 insurance (that I know of).

The Aygo and Pug 107 are really no-go's for carrying passengers in the back, leg room is non existant.

I'd recommend going for a Ford Ka or Fiesta. You can pick up a decent 2nd hand Ka for not alot of money, and even Fiesta's aren't too bad 2nd hand price wise. And it's a Ford, so you know you're getting a good make that will last.

EDIT: just noticed you wanted something eye-catching. I've seen a few eye-catching Ka's before with some fancy paint job advertising things, before you have doubts. But really with the requirements it's gonna be tricky finding something that fits them all!
You should buy one of these, the chap who owns that one only spent 2 grand on it. Nice around town too, never get stuck in traffic jams.
avoid toyotas ( new ) and anything French also diahatsu are one of the older car compays who now mainly make nissans deisil engines plus it don't look like a pentioners car Smile
smart car ?
Quote from mr_x :
And it's a Ford, so you know you're getting a good make that will last.

Thanks for a new signature. That's hilarious Thumbs up
My sister in law recently bought a 2000 Ford Puma 1.4 This would be a good car for you but it obviously depends on insurance. Its a Good Performer too. Smile

Frenchy
Toyota Yaris is my choice.

Brilliant little car, if you get the RS, Pretty nippy too. Smile
I still think Smart is the way to goShrug
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :I still think Smart is the way to goShrug

Only two seats, needs at least 4. Doesn't matter whether it's all that comfortable in the back as it's very rare I carry more than 2 people.

Once I've got college work out the way going to see about some test drives at various dealers before hunting down second hand ones . I'm liking the Aygo because it seems to be cheap to run on road tax (seemingly £35 a year! I'm paying about £115 for a bloody 1.2 Clio :reallySmile and group 1 insurance.

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :My sister in law recently bought a 2000 Ford Puma 1.4 This would be a good car for you but it obviously depends on insurance. Its a Good Performer too. Smile

Frenchy

Not really a city car and too expensive to run, plus I don't like them .
1968 Dodge Charger. Plenty of space for stickers and such and guaranteed to catch people's attention in Scotland. Big grin

It's also a good city car. See the 1968 film, "Bullit". Smile

Oh, you mentioned gas mileage. Nevermind... Wink
I'd go Yaris but Aygo is good as well. I believe the new 1.0 litre Yaris' are group 1.
stay away from french cars ive had two 106's and both are a nightmare to work on so i'd stay away.

My recomendation would be VW Lupo, or a SEAT Arosa, although the Arosa interiors are no where near as nice as the Lupo's. There good looking, nippy and the deisel can get upto 60mpg (tested on top gear years ago). Low insurance groups aswell, i think the Lupo is a 5 and the Arosa is a 4.
daihatsu trevis, the uf1000 thingy!
For that money in estonia you could get for example this car :
BMW 525 TDS 2.5 105 kW
3900 Pounds , and forget some crappy yaris etc.
This car has pussy magnet , so you cannot put it in any small car Smile

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG