The online racing simulator
"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
I don't get the point of the argument.

Is that now we can't possibly past in LFS with these cars and tracks? no.

Is that the racing in LFS now is boring? no.

Is that LFS team will go bankrupt because our races aren't spectacular enough? no.

Of course in the puriest form many features in LFS or even real racing are indeed pointless,why not put 22 identical car and just race to the flag right? but there's a balance among everything and when we already get the right balance why mess with it?
IMO, push to pass is really stupid, even in Champ car. They should never have put that. I mean... it's a race of pilots and cars. Why had something that come against that? It's like: "I'm not good enough to pass the guy in front, so i'll use PtP... *click* zooooommmm"...
lol im amazed this thread seems to come alive again .. so many times lol
Quote from TagForce :It's 60 seconds, and the newly formed A1GP series also has that button... There it is actually called push-to-pass or PowerBoost.

I saw this had a minus in the suggested improvements log, but it could actualy be a good idea if it was only implanted in a special class. In A1 it works very good for the action on the track. Drivers get limited powerboosts for a race.

In A1GP:
Quote :Specifically, the cars have a 600 kg monocoque chassis designed by Lola and model-370/660R13 slick tires from Cooper. Zytek provide a performance-limited 3.4 litre V8 engine, however its performance limitation can be overcome by the driver pressing a button on their steering wheel. This so-called boost button or overtake button increases the engine output, revs and horsepower while the accelerator remains depressed, increasing speed and facilitating easier overtaking. The overtake button may only be used a limited number of times in each race, which is pre-programmed beforehand and identical for each car.

Quote from GT4Fan :Lol I just edited my post 3 times, it's a pretty cool topic
But simply, it's just a game and the push-to-pass button will probably end up being used for everything BUT passing and overtaking...

And if you dont understand that look 2 posts up again

No it won't. You have limited boosts, otherwise people would put a bit of tape on the button and boost for the entire race

Quote from GT4Fan :You will see that in LFS then though, it will be abused just because it's a game, and maybe pushing everything at once is eventually better ingame.

Because imagine you are at 1st place. You are better off using all the extra power, to power away from the 2nd placed car, then using it to gain UP on your opponent.
Lemme explain these 2 situations:

1. Using the power for non-overtaking situations:
Your line will not be limited by another car so you will use all power efficiently, you will not have additional risks like ending up side by side and having to outbrake another person too, so your sparing your tyres.

2. Using to overtake:
You will need to get off the ideal line to be able to overtake another car and THEN after loosing 3KM/H you will use the push-to-overtake button. You will probably end up with nothing cause the other car will probably use your slipstream to keep with you, so the advantage of speed is soon caught up by the 2nd car. Plus because the gap will stay very small, chances of crashing under trying-to-get-away-pressure will only increase dramatically, especially in unforgiving racing cars. These risks dont increase much for the 2nd car cause it's easy for him to just copy your movements and go just as fast while waiting on an error. Plus just having to look in the mirror all the time really distracts...

Those things should be very deciding in a close race. I bet that it's far better to use it while your NOT in an overtaking move. So it kinda looses it's purpose right away...

The driver is free to use the button for other purposes. Also in real racing, but if in A1GP a car is leading for a long part of the race the driver usually saves the powerboost for in case he makes a mistake or something else happens and the number2 comes to close. It's an extra strategy thingy for the driver, not only to overtake.
Holy thread resurrection batman!
push to pass button -1 but it would be nice to have a fuel/air mixture tuner like IRL used to have. It would add some strategy options for long races
Quote from Kazu2799 :push to pass button -1 but it would be nice to have a fuel/air mixture tuner like IRL used to have. It would add some strategy options for long races

Adjustable fuel mixture would be interesting for longer races. For shorter ones, of course, we would just chuck it on to maximum.
What would be nice is a "push-to-pass-this-thread" button
don't you have the ability to close or delete the thread?
Powerboost like in A1 is a good thing, limited amount of presses, and it cuts out when ever the accelerator is lifted, so it only works in current gear, which is why they can't boost out of a corner.
I just think that impossible is nothing in LFS
Quote from aoe_viruz :That sounds alot like what Honda, Nissan, toyota engines use. For example Honda's use VTEC. And It sounds like a manuel version of it, were you push the button, it inject's oil to activate the higher profile of the camshaft to increase rpm's/power?

Actually, no, VTEC is fully automatic, and it uses the camshafts to make power, where there are two different cams, one that gives the engine midrage power, and a second cam, the VTEC cam, which, when locked in at the precise RPM that both cams make the same amount in power, turns the engine into a top end screamer. If you ran always on VTEC you would not have much low end or midrage power, and without the VTEC cam you won't have top end power. I still have the picture of the Honda manual that displays the theory about how VTEC works.

What push to pass does is simply turning off the rev limiter to allow you to "stretch" the gear before upshifting. On these race engines, they can make power beyond the "redline", so by using p2p you turn off the rev limiter to stay in a lower gear longer, hence more acceleration.
Quote from micha1980de :don't you have the ability to close or delete the thread?

Some threads are like the heads of the Hydra - nail one and two more spring up to replace it ...
Quote from micha1980de :don't you have the ability to close or delete the thread?

Yes, but I wouldn't close a thread just because its topic didn't appeal to me. As much as I think push to pass is a stupid idea in real life (and would also be stupid in LFS), it would not be right for me to prevent others from discussing it here.

The worst thing about A1GP is you never know when someone has pulled off a skillful overtaking maneuver or if they just pushed their hyperdrive button instead. There's that whole fake NFS thing about it. I'd rather watch real racing amongst drivers who must fight for every gain.
Obviously, P2P is one of those things that's thrown into a sport purely to "add spectacle" for the viewers. I understand that - I also understand that some governing bodies simply can't abide not pandering to TV stations (and therefore advertisers). But why isn't watching highly-skilled pilots battle each other inches apart at multiple-life-threatening speed spectacular enough? Look at F1 (although it has governing-body problems of its own relating to "spectacle"), NASCAR, MotoGP, V8 Supercabs, WRC, various touring car & single-seat series worldwide and all the other hugely popular racing series that don't feature P2P. Noone's complaining that those aren't exciting enough, are they? If they are, then it's quite clear that those people are (a) wrong and (b) stupid.

The thing that I don't quite get is this: Indy and A1GP are two series that least need P2P imho, given the closely-matched cars (exactly-matched in A1GP's case). You'd think in a spec series that the skills of the drivers and team would take precedence without needing gimmicks like warp drive, which weren't implemented for the sake of the drivers at all. LFS isn't a spectator sport by any means, so why should it have pure spectator candy like P2P?
Sorry for digging that out - but I was to suggest a push to pass button. But the seach function told me that it already had been suggested.

However I just visited the DTM race at the Nürburgring this weekend and I also have seen the VW Scirocco cup too.

These cars have 225hp and a push-to-pass button to increase the power by 50hp to 275hp for 10 sec only.

This button can be pressed 10 times a race and there has to be a brake of 30 sec. after you pressed it.

I really think this makes a race even more interesting! You can pass at the end of a straight - but others see that you are using the button atm as a blue light is switched on in the front and the back while using the button.

There also is a LED in the rear window showing how often you still can use this button.
i think this a great idea it's the kers button in f1 this idea is amazing i hope i can see it in the future of lfs good job of figuring out such an idea
i dont think this is a good idea...just because you saw it in a real race doesnt mean its a good idea...imagine this in the oval..just not a good idea
+1 for the oval...

But imagine that button in a UFR / XFR... at BL1:

You just passed someone before T1. Then you press the button to get rid of him on the long straigt - but he manages to stay not that far away by drafting. You mess up your bracing point a bit because of the higher speed. He is close again!

Then just after the last turn he now presses the button an can catch you on start finish line - you can´t press the button now, because you only can press it once in 30 sec.

But just after the chikane you can press it again and and he can´t.

On the other hand... have you counted? You pressed the button twice - the other guy only once. Would be interesting how often you are able to press it any more at the end of the race...

Good possibilities to overtake - or to make mistakes and some tactics too..

GREAT!
As mentioned quite often now, that P2P button was mainly introduced to entertain the masses. I personally hate to watch a race with such a feature, since i prefer to watch overtake attempts that are based on skill and not just more power to go side to side on the straight.

In real life i can see why they did it, but on here i can not.

Quote from JustForFunRacing :+1 for the oval...

Judging from the stats of yours, you probably haven't driven much on the Oval.
Especially on oval tracks it is pointless to have such a button, since drafting has almost the same effect and gives players plenty of opportunities to overtake. Drafting is also more difficult and fun, than a simple P2P button.
Indeed oval racing is no racing and no fun for me.

But with the "+1" I meant that indeed there is no need for a P2P at oval courses.
Quote from JustForFunRacing :But imagine that button in a UFR / XFR... at BL1:

You just passed someone before T1. Then you press the button to get rid of him on the long straigt - but he manages to stay not that far away by drafting. You mess up your bracing point a bit because of the higher speed. He is close again!

Then just after the last turn he now presses the button an can catch you on start finish line - you can´t press the button now, because you only can press it once in 30 sec.

But just after the chikane you can press it again and and he can´t.

On the other hand... have you counted? You pressed the button twice - the other guy only once. Would be interesting how often you are able to press it any more at the end of the race...

Good possibilities to overtake - or to make mistakes and some tactics too..

GREAT!

Imagine if the guy behind passes you on the backstraight and you drive the rest of the lap side by side.

Wouldn't have been possible with that ridiculous button.

GREAT!

Sorry but -1.
Hmm.. Whats this button do..? *XFG shoots to 120 MPH* Okay.. I'll just hold this down then.. *Proceeded to hold button down, Passing all cars in a trail of orange fumes*

(Chat after race)
"ZOGMOZMGOM LOLOLOLOL NUUUB U ARNT SUPPOSE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN"
"But it's so flashy..."
*Everyone holds it down*

And um.. What about the hackers? Couldn't they just work out glitches with this? -10
The problem imo with the push to pass button is that it creates as many overtakes as it prevents. Someone pulls out to pass you, you press the magic button and he's left out of your draft and far away...

P.S : I didn't read the whole thread, just like the last post and title
Wouldn't his help crashers..? Imagine you are like 100m ahead of a crasher and suddenly on the braking he's coming at 280kmh through you.

"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG