The online racing simulator
"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
And then we could have sharks with frickin' laser beams, right on their heads, driving the cars, with police sirens and missile launchers behind the license plates ...
... what a waste of a post petrichor

@takumi; your right, when i was reading about it, thats pretty much all its for.. said its mainly a "crowd pleaser"

which.. isnt surprising, i was just wondering what yalls thoughts were.. kinda neat idea in a sense though (if your looking for a close fight)
Quote from XCNuse :... what a waste of a post petrichor

For the dense, that was a 'no' vote there.
That sounds alot like what Honda, Nissan, toyota engines use. For example Honda's use VTEC. And It sounds like a manuel version of it, were you push the button, it inject's oil to activate the higher profile of the camshaft to increase rpm's/power?
#30 - mdmx
Most of you guys just doesn't seem to get it. It got nothing to do with vtec or any other mechanical issue in the engine. It got nothing to do with adding more horsepowers to FO8. It hell no got nothing to do with NOX, which also adds more hp (which btw is a very nice and fun thing in IRL street racing car). It got nothing to do with adding more hp to engine.

More like oppisite, it LIMITS the horsepower. And it allows you to use full power only a 60sec or so in a race. Which adds more strategic element to a race. You should make decision when to use it. If used in wrong place, it can even ruin your race. And it's from REAL live racing, nothing to do with KITT turbobooster.. Are u guys stupid or what? Very funny replys. Also it got NOTHING to do with current FO8 racing, it would be a whole other "gaming mode".

Sure it makes races more fun to spectators.. does it make them more fun to drivers as well? Dunno... i might like it, or maybe not, but hell no it's not going to harm _my_ gaming experience in any way, i don't have to play "push-to-pass" races if i don't want to. But with this feature the long races would not be so deadly boring they are now. If this is a serious racing sim, i think all kind of races should be simulated.

That is really easy feature to implement btw.. i might like it.
Quote from mdmx :That is really easy feature to implement btw..

How can you be so sure about that?
Quote from mdmx :And it's from REAL live racing, nothing to do with KITT turbobooster.. Are u guys stupid or what? Very funny replys.

LOL, no I am not stupid. There are no Indy car (clones) in LFS, so why do we need "Push to Pass"?? Formula 3000 don't use it, nor does what ever the FOX is a clone off.

Turbo boost is more fun anyway.. I'd rather be able to jump stuff at will than have full access to my engines power for only 60 secs.
#33 - Woz
Can't see thee need. If you don’t have the speed and skill to pass the person in front then you don't deserve to pass the person in front.
er..that doesnt sound kosher to me, but...just a maybe...a wonder...a...its never going to happen but im saying it anyway. how about adjustable boost in the turbo cars? even if its just 5psi or somthin lower side gets better fuel milage and no engine degradation throughout an event, high psi is faster, burns more fuel, engine wears out much faster...would just add another element to the game, but first overall engine degradation would have to be implemented Which would overall improve racing because it would possibly encourage people to care of their stuff a little more like in real life, but now im just getting way off topic so..i'll shut up.
er... the FV8 is a remodel of the F3000 rotary..?

and Woz.. thats what makes things interesting, plus if you cant pass them.. surely you wouldnt be near them .. since they would be slowly getting ahead of you
How much hp do those Champ Cars have? Is it possible at all to add 50 to say 700 hp (less than 10%) and get a significant advantage at a short straight?

I'd suggest to make a special car, looking like ChampCar, with such a feature, so that those who want or do not want this effect, would be able to enable or disable it.
Quote from detail :How much hp do those Champ Cars have? Is it possible at all to add 50 to say 700 hp (less than 10%) and get a significant advantage at a short straight?

Judging by watching the champ car races...yes, but they use it more to "catch up" than pass.
I saw a race last weekend of cars with "push to pass". It was Formula Palmer Audi at Silverstone, they call it overboost. I cant say wether it added anything or not, they certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves, plenty of overtaking. Im indifferent to it really, not sure we need it, but Id use it if we got it. I wouldnt hold your breath.
just did some more reading about cosworths Push to pass

..this is so cool!

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/sport/3673.asp

Quote :Not only that, but when the driver pushes the button, a light begins flashing at the rear of his car, showing following competitors that he's about to make a move. There's no light flashing at the front, though, to let whoever's ahead know when to expect a passing manoeuvre.

also it says here.. that it only works when 80% or more throttle is being used at the time [and if lower, it shuts off]
Quote from Unclefloug :formula one cars have the ability to up there revs during a race, this allows them to gain an advantage but will ultimately uses more fuel, listening to some of the team radio chatter at istanbul today it sounds like some of the teams have a button which automatically ups the rev limit and possible changes, fuel mixtures, engine maps, etc... but f1 cars these days use auto gearboxes or at least semi-autos so i don't see why this would really be worth while in lfs, if u want to stretch that extra bit to pass, shift later.

You are referring to the BAR (which is the only one to my knowledge to have a steering wheel button dedicated to the task), which has a button that increases the rev limit a bit for a few seconds (somewhere between 5 and 10 seems reasonable, I doubt they have to keep the button held down).
#41 - tpa
I dont really see a need at all for this, especially with that excessive slipstreaming we have in LFS.

I'd rather see us being able to raise the rpm limiter, once we have cars that'd actually benefit from it. Because then you'd also have to deal with the consequences e.g. overheating engine and such.

I don't want to sound offensive, but a power boost button that gives you extra power and makes your car flash just sounds so... american
why american.. champ cars dont race in JUST in america
#43 - Gunn
Quote from Unclefloug :formula one cars have the ability to up there revs during a race, this allows them to gain an advantage but will ultimately uses more fuel, listening to some of the team radio chatter at istanbul today it sounds like some of the teams have a button which automatically ups the rev limit and possible changes, fuel mixtures, engine maps, etc... but f1 cars these days use auto gearboxes or at least semi-autos so i don't see why this would really be worth while in lfs, if u want to stretch that extra bit to pass, shift later.

Actually the F1 cars have fuel presets, not a boost button. The driver can choose certain presets (mixtures) which will alter how much fuel the car uses.On the economic presets the car does not perform as well. When the driver needs to make up time he chooses a higher-performing preset, when he needs to conserve fuel he chooses a more economical preset.

In the days of F1 turbo they used to adjust the turbo boost for exactly the same reaon. Races used to be fuel-limited too meaning you only had so much fuel you were allowed to stick in the car. Many of the greats including Prost and Piquet ran out of fuel in sight of the finish line. As tempting as it was to run on full boost, the driver had to be careful how he set the boost and when, so that fuel was used efficently. In the turbo era it was common to "turn up the boost!" when you needed to fight a fast rival, and turn it down when it was safe to cruise. What you saw in Istanbul was a similar situation with a modern application.
#44 - mdmx
Quote from Blackout :How can you be so sure about that?

I just am.. I am programmer myself, and could very easily implement such a feature if i've got source codes of LFS. Pretty easy to hack even without sources, just hook a button u want to bind it and throttle pedal from direct input. When "deactived", scale throttle to let's say 0.9 from what it is, and so on.
You lot rember LFS rocketman (think it was that). Pretty much did the same thing as what you described mdmx, gave you a speed boost at the touch of the button.

Anyone remember what happened when it was leaked? I do.

Not a good idea imo mdmx, unless you let us know when people are using it, so it cant be used to cheat.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :You lot rember LFS rocketman (think it was that). Pretty much did the same thing as what you described mdmx, gave you a speed boost at the touch of the button.

Not a good idea imo mdmx, unless you let us know when people are using it, so it cant be used to cheat.

Ooh.. I wasn't around then, what happened, what happened? (I'm eager to hear the dirty!)
#47 - Gunn
That was completey different
Quote from L(Oo)ney :You lot rember LFS rocketman (think it was that). Pretty much did the same thing as what you described mdmx, gave you a speed boost at the touch of the button.

That was different. mdmx is talking about restricting the throttle range until the button is pushed.
Quote from petrichor :And then we could have sharks with frickin' laser beams, right on their heads, driving the cars, with police sirens and missile launchers behind the license plates ...

No, we'll have frikin' cars with frikin' laser beams on their frikin' hoods!
Quote from Gunn :That was completey differentThat was different. mdmx is talking about restricting the throttle range until the button is pushed.

Hey. My momo pedals already do that.
Quote from tpa :I don't want to sound offensive, but a power boost button that gives you extra power and makes your car flash just sounds so... american

absolutely :wmann3:

My MOMO pedals do that as well. I just need to discover why I spin my LX6 every time I push my (lol) push2pass button...

"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG