The online racing simulator
"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
"Push to pass"
okay.. well if you dont know what this is, its in the champ car racing series here in the US.

anyways, what its used for, is on the smaller/tighter tracks (imagine.. south city).. there's a ton of short straits and many many turns; its used (majorly) in tracks like such, where there are few chances to be able to pass; basically you land up in the same position you started, except for a few people that dropped off because of crashing/mechanical problems.

basically, the champ cars are limited to the amount of horsepower, and when they push down on the push to pass button, they are given a few extra RPMS and gain about 50 horsepower for up to 60 seconds.

as its said, you can either hord them up for the last few seconds to get a close finish, or you can use it to pass when the chance comes.

basically, the times when its used to be horded up, would be on longer and wider tracks, where passing is easily done without problems; vs used to pass on short town tracks when passing is impossible otherwise.

Although i know you guys dont want nitrous; thats NOT what this is!, its just releasing the limiter on these cars to gain some horsepower... its a tactic to cease the position in front of you.

last words; the one thing i dont think we would need is the full 60 seconds; since the races in LFS are usually only a few laps long; maybe 30 seconds would be more reasonable (however im not sure, this would have to be tested)
Sounds very much like a "NOS button" to me. :P
#3 - ORION
I dont need that to pass someone, and additionally more hp doesnt mean that you pass me
#4 - Krane
Quote from XCNuse :Although i know you guys dont want nitrous; thats NOT what this is!, its just releasing the limiter on these cars to gain some horsepower... its a tactic to cease the position in front of you.

There's not even 1 car that would benefit from such button. Every car in LFS has their powerband and peak power waayy before redline - well the LXs's/LXes's/LXses/LX'es/LXs'e'es'e''s'e'/WTF SP? shiftpoint are pretty near the redline.
....... like i said; the formula champ cars are limited...

..looney.. go search google you fool, i just said its not nitrous, and it has nothing to do with injecting anything or anything at all.. its a mechanism.. and nothing more

and krane.. you lost me there.. im not talking about the LX.. im talking about the FOX
#6 - -wes-
hmmm maybe, it all depends on how the aredynamics are altered in the next patch.

You only need a system like this if overtaking is next to impossible, it's both car and track dependant so yeah maybe..
#7 - Krane
Quote from XCNuse :and krane.. you lost me there.. im not talking about the LX.. im talking about the FOX

Where? Only car you mention in the post is champ car, last time I checked, we don't have any champ cars.
Quote from XCNuse :looney.. go search google you fool, i just said its not nitrous, and it has nothing to do with injecting anything or anything at all.. its a mechanism.. and nothing more

XCNuse, you fool, it give's you more power at the touch of a button, just like nitrous oxide does, only it does it in a different way.

Why is it any better then a nos button, the end effect is still the same. :rolleyes:
@krane; sorry, i must have cut it out on accident or something, sorry for the confusion!

@looney..... because its not the same.

and thats not what it does either; its not even close to nitrous. go read about it.

also.. imo looney your taking this the wrong way like its just another way to "cheat" and get ahead.. while its not.. maybe for the noobs that will go around and use it instantly, only to find out that they are slower, and infact will lose the race because they used up all of their time on the button

now go read about it before you comment anymore
Quote from XCNuse :now go read about it before you comment anymore

Quote from Champ car boost :
But push the “boost button” and the driver gets a boost in performance of 50 to 70 horsepower instantly, increasing his speed by at least 5%. For you gear heads, Champ Cars operate at 41.5 inches of mercury (how boost is measured), which is controlled by engine sensors. Push the boost button and you get 44 inches of mercury, meaning an increase in the amount of fuel and air that gets packed into the cylinders, providing more power.

Quote from How stuff works - Nitrous oxide : This Question of the Day talks about how sodium chlorate acts as a way to store oxygen. You release the oxygen in sodium chlorate by heating it. It turns out that nitrous oxide (N20) works exactly the same way. When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any gasoline engine.

Nitrous oxide has another effect that improves performance even more. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

Ok, i read.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#11 - Gunn
Push To Pass is a silly in real life (remember you aren't allowed to block anymore in that race series which would be impossible to emulate in LFS) turning a real race into a virtual arcade game.

2c
i dont like the idea ... it really is a lot like a nos button plus i dont like the idea of restricting enginepower by such means ...

if anything id like to see a fuel limit and give drivers the ability to change a few turbo settings while driving (much like the way it was done in group c)
Right - time to settle it.

This does exist in real life. The systems used are all slightly different. Some just allow higher revs, others change the fuel mapping and ignition timing etc, whilst a few increase the boost momentarily. I think the turbo boost option was actually initiated by the people that run the sport.

However, I don't think we need it in LFS. The only reason they did it in real life is to artificially increase overtaking to improve audiences. In live for speed it should be about the purest racing possible, without such aids to assist. And besides, does anyone think the racing would benefit if the FOX or FO8 had such a button? The last thing we need is more power in the FO8 at the moment.

So, whilst XCN is right about it being a real life thing, I have to disagree (sorry XCN) on it's use in LFS. I am a purist (see my sig), and therefore I cannot condone any forms of driver aids (which this is - a passing aid).
..and im fine with that.. atleast you explain WHY.. instead of just saying no..

@thisnameismistaken; .. the main time push to pass is used (like i said) is on short tracks where its nearly impossible to pass; such as south city (in some places.. we actually dont have a small tight course); HOWEVER.. when S2 full is out.. you will see that you wont be able to draft very long or else you will fry your engine (hence the "temp" gauge in all the cars)
It's "Power to Pass"

And the Champ Cars use it, but I don't know how long they are allowed to use it for a race? Like 40 secs max or something? I forget. I was at the San Jose GP 2 weeks ago... man they hardly used it cuz that track had no room to pass :doh:
It's 60 seconds, and the newly formed A1GP series also has that button... There it is actually called push-to-pass or PowerBoost.
KITT had something similar as well, although it was called Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost is so much better than "Push-to-pass" or "PowerBoost" or "Power to Pass" as it allows your car to launch over and in front of your opponents! You could pass almost anywhere with ease!! (I would advise using it mostly on straights though!)

Oh, it has to be real as it was on TV and KITT rules... why would KITT lie to us??
Why dont we just have rocket boosters, grappling hooks and lazer beams ---- Dr. Evil stylez?

j/k
Maybe if we had a turbo forumula car but to be honest I don't think it's necessary. It isn't really that hard to pass on south city especially if your running longish races.
i am ok with turbo boost, but i don't like the push to pass button. is it ok if overtaking with a f08 on unoff2 is extremely difficult. the track just isn't made for these type of cars.
I really don't see there's a big problem in any of the lfs thracks that would make a boost button improve the quality of the racing experience.
Champ cars rules impose a limit on boost and rpms (8500rpm), so in this case increasing the rpms does allow them more power, but not as instantaneously as a NOS button would. In the old days when they ran high speed ovals, the top 2 gears were very close, a few hundred rpm difference is all. The taller gear was used for most of the race to preserve the engine, the slightly lower gear for better speed. I don't know if this is done in IRL.
Another vote for no here.

F1 was looking at implementing this - i feel it's a gimmik to add life to a boring racing class.

"Push to pass"
(135 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG