The online racing simulator
what is trail braking?
(31 posts, started )
what is trail braking?
Hi guys, one LFS racer once told me that he is a lot faster then me because he uses trail braking...it's some sort of technique, but he didnt even give a slight idea what it is...anybody can help me and explain?
#2 - Jakg
wrong - its the opposite - Braking, then braking and turning, easing off the brakes, turning more, then fading back on the power out of the corner
Quote :

What is trail braking? In essence, it means continuing to brake after having turned in for a corner. The further you progress into the corner, the more you turn the steering wheel and the more pressure you release from the brake pedal.

http://virtualracersedge.com/trail_braking.htm

Damn you Jakg! ;D
#4 - zeeaq
Trail Braking

Trail braking (a.k.a. ‘brake-turning’, braking while turning toward the apex of a corner) is another learning curve for you to climb sooner or later. However, learn trail braking slowly; if you’re used to road driving (where you’re taught to finish braking before turning into a corner) then you might find it tricky to learn the extra delicacy demanded by trail braking. In PU, the trade-off between brake pressure and steering input is hard to judge when you can’t feel the car turning and pitching through your body.

Source : LFS guide

www.liveforspeed.net > links >

its that simple

Edit : Oops...sorry. Didn't mean to spam
Quote from zeeaq :
Source : LFS guide

Didn't know that, so my link might be a copy... ';x
When turning into a corner you're mostly using the grip of the front wheels, so you want to somehow increase the weight of the front-end to increase the load and therefore the grip of the front tyres.

We do this with 'Trail braking'. by doing most of our heavy braking in a straight line (very important for minimum lock-ups), releasing most (but not all) of the brake pressure, then starting the turn in with a little braking just to hold the weight over the front while we get the car loaded up into the corner.

It's important to practice of course, and an understanding of weight-transfer helps too. You'll be amazed at the difference a little extra traction at the front can make!

Enjoy!
Trail braking is the single best thing to learn to get fast(er) IMO, many of the cars in LFS, mainly FWD cars, respond EXTREMELY well to trail braking, the XFG in particular
Thank you guys, that explained a lot...
#9 - Goop
trail braking is when you... oh, right...

Happy new years all, here's to health and happiness :dopey:
I've always wanted to know what tail braking means, now that i know i realise that i did it without even knowing the theory behind it :P
just back from the server, it turns out harder then it sounds, but I managed to leadn braking using Engine Braking aswell, I got a second off my PB on AS_National...
THANK YOU!
Trail braking for teh win
#13 - JTbo
To get most of trail braking you also need to prepare setup to match your style of doing it, also it is not for every corner, there is corners that are faster without trail braking.
#14 - Goop
... and to continue the above thought: I don't think trailbraking is the sort of thing you need worry about when learning to drive LFS. Concentrate more on getting on the gas as early as possible, rather than maximizing braking. There's much more to be gained by getting up it early :cyclops:

Sincerely,
goop
Current holder of precisely zero (0) WRs.
(but I'm competitive, honest :shy
Quote from Goop :... and to continue the above thought: I don't think trailbraking is the sort of thing you need worry about when learning to drive LFS. Concentrate more on getting on the gas as early as possible, rather than maximizing braking. There's much more to be gained by getting up it early :cyclops:

Sincerely,
goop
Current holder of precisely zero (0) WRs.
(but I'm competitive, honest :shy

yes for someone new to road racing learning to brake before the corner is first priority, many times you see people trying to brake too late which means by the time you hit your turn in spot you are still trying to slow down, totaly ruins your line, lot of oval racers that try road racing have that problem (been there, done that)
Quote from Goop :I don't think trailbraking is the sort of thing you need worry about when learning to drive LFS. Concentrate more on getting on the gas as early as possible, rather than maximizing braking.[/SIZE]

Another tip that worked for me when learning (before trail braking), was being smooth coming off the brake before turn in.
so i guess that means.. i always trail brake in my car... lol owell!
#18 - JTbo
Quote from Quietus :Another tip that worked for me when learning (before trail braking), was being smooth coming off the brake before turn in.

Also learning to come smoothly off brake and apply smoothly throttle, some times overlapped also, that makes great difference to lap time as you don't wait anymore after braking and before accelerating out from corner, only problem is then when racing almost any public server that there is these moving chicanes at corners
Not really, that takes much more practise that I have time
dont be too smooth with the throttle tho i use mouse and the throttle comes on almost instantly but it seems to work!
wow i didn't know it had a name but i've been using it for a few months..
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :dont be too smooth with the throttle tho i use mouse and the throttle comes on almost instantly but it seems to work!

I dont think you can apply trail braking as I understand it with mouse if you are using the left right buttons to accelerate and brake.
I understand trail braking to include reducing the amount of brake applied as the car turns in and slows to acceptable apex speed, this would be impossible with button controls on mouse. also I think there is some KB help with button controls (inc throttle brake) and maybe thats whats alowing you to hit the gas so soon after braking I think in the GTR type cars and open wheelers its especially important to apply the throttle smoothly

PS I never realised you live in Kazakhstan wow you even have a .co.uk email

SD.
yea u cant trail brake with mouse but u can turn a tiny bit with the brake still applied!
i think that in most cars u dont need to be smooth on the throttle, aslong as u can correct the car before the slide happens. i ha a WR in FOX a few days ago and i do ok in the BF1 n that.
kazakhstan forever!

by no means do i think i have the skills of senna but, senna used to wham on the throttle mouse style and then correct the insuing slide before it happens.

but yea trail braking is useful but ONLY if u reduce the brake pressure perfectly compared to the steering angle, not just fully braking and steering at the same time lol
Understanding the weight tranfer of your car is important too, and you can usually guage this well in LFS. Dropping the anchor and turning will throw a LOT of weight onto the outside front, so that's why easing the brakes and steering in unison helps to avoid massive understeer. Imho it's all about weight! I wonder if the "force" view helps here?
Quote from Jakg :wrong - its the opposite - Braking, then braking and turning, easing off the brakes, turning more, then fading back on the power out of the corner

Jackq you are absolutte right

I would like to say that trailbraking is where you gain most overal time, mind the sensitive left foot of Michael Schumacher
#25 - avih
Another way to get the same effect is by using engine breaking instead of the breaks. The result is the same, more weight on the front, therefore, more grip. Advantage of this technique is that you don't need to manage 2 feet into the corner with gas and breaks. I guess mouse users can utilize it too, but I haven't tried it with the mouse. Just lift the gas foot gently into a turn, and make sure that u reach it with enough RPM such that u can actually use it for slow down.

what is trail braking?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG