The online racing simulator
what is trail braking?
(31 posts, started )
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :yea u cant trail brake with mouse but u can turn a tiny bit with the brake still applied!

You can trail brake with mouse (trail braking = braking & turning in). And you have to, if you want to be fast.

Mouse drivers typically use lower braking force in their setups, because you don't want the wheels to lock up when the engine braking is added (i.e. when downshifting). You normally downshift at the start of the braking phase, so at the end you have some traction budget left to start turning in.

However, you can't turn in as much as wheel drivers can. When you release the brakes the weight suddenly shifts toward the rear wheels, so you have less grip on the fronts. You can go into an understeer slide if you're not careful.
m8 u cant properly trail brake with mouse, u can brake AND steer but how can u have 50% brake and 50% steering? and u dont have to fully trail brake to be fast.

also, me and another mouser called phlos just use normal setups that wheel users use, no brake force reductions or anything. and me and him dont do too badly.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :also, me and another mouser called phlos just use normal setups that wheel users use, no brake force reductions or anything. and me and him dont do too badly.

I'm pretty sure Phlos said before that he uses a mouse and pedals??
really??? wow didnt know that! well i use keyboard and mouse.

i think that mouse and pedals would be the fastest combination tho
Quote from wsinda :Mouse drivers typically use lower braking force in their setups, because you don't want the wheels to lock up when the engine braking is added (i.e. when downshifting).

This won't happen if you can properly rev match. Unless you're talking about the differential locking up, which you can't control without changing the setup.
Its all about traction managment. You tires only have a finite amout of traction which is modified by the amout of weight/load they are under. Trail Braking is a technique where you slowly shift the avalable grip from braking to turning. This allows for faster corner entry and deeper braking. The side effect is that you can also hold more load on the frot tires to aid in cornering grip. There are some problems if you don't manage the avalable grip though. Entering too fast can cause you to understeer from two different conditions. Either over loading the front tires or under loading them. Its a tough ballancing act, but getting it right can make a big difference in lap times. Get it wrong and you lap times will be even slower then a simple slow-in fast-out cornering technique.

Not all corners are approate for this type of technique. Constant radius corners and decreasing radius corners ar the best place to apply it, but increasing radius corners work better with a slow-in fast-out technique combined with a late entry late apex line. You also need to look at what leads in to the corner and what is beyond the corner. For example if you have a long straight leading in to a tight section its is benifitial to carry as much speed as deep in to the corner as you can. On the other hand if its a corner exiting a slow section and leading on to a straight then maximixing exiting speed is key. So look at the track, look at what leads in to and whats beyond the corner, look at the corners geomitry and apply the more approate technique to each corner and corner complex.

what is trail braking?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG