The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
Quote from deggis :LFS with CSR: sounds better

Thats why most of the sound packs are taken from other games? Its a great program, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather play a game that doesn't need heavy modding to be remotely enjoyable.
I think the sounds are getting better. No, it doesn't sound like I'm sitting in a real car, but it's getting better. You have to remember that these sounds are generated, not sampled. Most other games have sampled sounds. They drive a real car around at different rpms and record the sound, then replay them similar to CSR.

Also, you have to consider the gaming environment. If you have a really loud computer, crappy speakers, etc, the game is going to sound crappy. If you have a dead-quiet pc, a well setup room, and a good sound card and speakers that have been tuned to the room, the game is going to sound like what the devs want it to.

Things are better, and they'll keep getting better. The game is still at version 0.5, not 10.5...if not the most realistic looking or sounding, it's definitely the best driving. Look at what the devs have done so far, and just think what it'll be like 2 years from now...
Quote from Dethred :Thats why most of the sound packs are taken from other games? Its a great program, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather play a game that doesn't need heavy modding to be remotely enjoyable.

Having the generated sounds with a sample overlay seems like one of the best / easiest ways of achieving both a good 'useability' and a good sound, to me.
Quote from Dethred :Thats why most of the sound packs are taken from other games? Its a great program, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather play a game that doesn't need heavy modding to be remotely enjoyable.

And that's why you mentioned rFactor too... or do you then play it without any mods at all?

I bet most of the (popular) rFactor mods has also sounds stolen from several games. Who cares if they are stolen or not because they are free mods. And actually DaveWS's sound pack for CSR has mostly sounds recorded from onboard videos.

I see CSR as some kind of "quick fix" to make the game more enjoyable until further sound improvements. Of course it doesn't change how the game comes out of the box but that's why mods are called modifications.

Previously you said LFS should change to sampled sound system. May I suggest you to listen this: EngineSimAudioComparison.wmv. It's a synthetised sound engine made by Todd Wasson. Best prove so far that synthetised can also sound like a real engine. Of course this has nothing to do with LFS but it shows what's possible to do with generated sound.
Though, one hilarious thing! Try starting your egnine! (probably the most fake engine-start i've heard, but fun!)
Quote from Blowtus :Having the generated sounds with a sample overlay seems like one of the best / easiest ways of achieving both a good 'useability' and a good sound, to me.

imho sampled sounds can destroy all work on synthesized 'cos now with addition of gearwhine (which I hear as sampled) the mix sounds like sampled .

btw: I mentioned that in previous post, now transmission sounds too nervous 'cause inertia of complex is not simulated and sound is now on 100Hz sampling - well, tyres sound awesome on every curb now but maybe transmission due to inertia doesnt need that much of frequency?
I also voted it's a step in the right direction.

I must admit, when i first heard the RB4 i was shocked. I just couldn't get over the 'sounds in a can'. After trying most cars
and playing for a while, they did grow on me and didn't bother me as much. In fact, i loooove the FZ5 sound now. Raawwwrrrr.

The sounds are still as informative, and some new sounds even ADD information we didn't have before.

The only issue that still bothers me is that digital resonance we hear. There is still that very machine sounding tone that has
always plagued LFS sounds and makes you know after 2 seconds, this is an LFS car. Apart from that, thumbs way up .
Over last last few days I have been playing lfs version 0.04Q and S1 and when you go from playing those to the latest patch V version, ohhhhhhhhhhh boy, man such an improvement its unbelivable.

I urge everyone to play earlier version of lfs and the come back to V and see what you think.

I also think all this negativity and unsureness about the new sounds is around because everyone was so use to the older ones. It will take time to get use to and eventually it will grow on people.

mad
how is the "dumpvalve" sound made now?

there is no sample that i can see?
Quote from Sticky-Micky :how is the "dumpvalve" sound made now?
there is no sample that i can see?

No sample anymore, it is generated on the fly.
I have to agree with those that are saying engine sounds like 1000-1500rpm less than rpm gauge shows, have been testing this now some time.

Took xr gt as it is close to my own car and did test runs, 3000-6000 range is surely missing that 1000rpm, but I think lower range is better.
I love the way most of the cars sound now, but... I never hear my dumpvalve now? Maybe it's just me though...
Quote from MataGyula :C'mon guys, this is not the concert yet, it's just the band tuning their instruments

And they all sound like foghorns
Quote from KiDCoDEa :thanks for demonstrating in files, what i have been saying all along. U could even go for harsher amounts, but thats good enuff.

i doesnt sound better because clipping is realistic ... the reason why it sounds better is because it introduces noise which lfs completely lacks in its engine sounds atm
but limitation noise isnt the correct form of noise to get the desired effect
Quote from Shotglass :i doesnt sound better because clipping is realistic ... the reason why it sounds better is because it introduces noise which lfs completely lacks in its engine sounds atm
but limitation noise isnt the correct form of noise to get the desired effect

thanks for awesome valuable input man. next time we need input on sound i'll either msg phil spector or you.
the reason it sounds better is you.
you are the chosen one.
check latest time issue.
Quote from arco :Get something like this sound into LFS, and I would be in heaven. :lovies:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6021196065589597987

I would not like it as so terrible sound quality is not what I would like, half of engine sound disappears under disortion of sound recorded. But that engine makes nice sound, without disortion it certainly would be nice, that was 9-10k rpm I think? That is around where LX6 shoud sing too according to rpm gauge, but sound is not enough high currently.
Definitely an improvement, but these muffled sounds give me headache- need more deep bass and treble, and more adjustment!
-->that's what I would vote for- none of the options listed fit.

-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------

Wow, they are better than in real life!
--- No - far from it..

Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
-- Yes, but doesn't express the urgent need for improvement and sound leveling..

No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
doesn't explain why

I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
Definitely do not want to go back to old sounds.. but these new ones DEFINITELY give me a headache.. not figuratively- but LITERALLY :-(

OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
No, patch V sounds are FAR better... and seem to have infinitely more POTENTIAL.. but need adjustment and leveling.. full spectrum use.. or SOMETHING.
I find it hard to be too critical as I don't know how the system works and its limitations etc.

I think they are sounding better as we go along and I'm willing to wait till they are improved further.

This is what is great about LFS. It's constantly evolving, we are always getting surprises and presents from the devs to improve what is already a great game.

There has to be a balance, we love this game for a reason and if the devs go changing everything willy nilly then it may become a game we don't love.

Eveyone here whinges too much IMO.

Thanks for the patch guys, enjoy the holidays and we look forward to what you have in store for us in the future, in the mean time I'm off for a few laps
I was locked beyond a proxy for some days, and now, after unlocking, I've heard the new sounds.

Well, I see clearly that the new system has bigger potential, but currently the sounds need urgent improvement. I guess they've been released so because of Christmas pressure from the community.

GTR and some other cars sound poorly. The transmission is a cool feature, the sound "cone", that defines the volume depending on your position relative to the car, is also cool. But the engines are weak, like trombones, but not like engines. It seems that they produce a narrow band of frequencies, narrower than before. GTR and FO8 sound really badly: in chase-cam view transmission noise is louder.

The engines themselves sound like muted, like a car out there in the yard through a triple glass packet. In real life, a very loud sound makes a lot of echo and is heard farther. (Remember pit-lane interviews or just night ambient footage from Le Mans).

BF1 sounds exactly like an electric coffee-grinder. RAC, RB4 need improvements.
Quote from arco :http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6021196065589597987

What a fantastic video. I love Best Motoring. The only problem with videos like this one are that they drive home just how far racing simulations have to progress before they come anywhere near reality. Even the most sophisticated racing simulation on the market today is a toy in comparison.
Quote from BuddhaBing :What a fantastic video. I love Best Motoring. The only problem with videos like this one are that they drive home just how far racing simulations have to progress before they come anywhere near reality. Even the most sophisticated racing simulation on the market today is a toy in comparison.

You are very right there, talking about realism is not much meaning still, as sims are so far from true realism, mostly fun and anjoyable, but when compared to real thing well, lot has been improved from 80's but still more has to be done.
I voted that the sounds were an improvement. They still need alot of tweaking though.

I have to agree that the transmission noise is overwhelming. It now seems to be the predominant sound in almost all of the cars.

It is beggining to bug me

Has anyone found a way to remove it? It's not in the Sound folder anyway.

I would be quite happy to keep it, if only I could turn it down and make the engine the predominant sound again.

Effects volume sliders please Scawen

edit: That video of the old Skyline was excellent. To my ears there was nothing but a screaming 4cylinder and wind noise.
Quote from mrbogeyman :
edit: That video of the old Skyline was excellent. To my ears there was nothing but a screaming 4cylinder and wind noise.

That engine has actually 6 cylinders, look exhaust manifold, 3x2-barrel sidedraft carbs bolted there too and should you hear it too or perhaps recording quality was not best and it had bit disortion too?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG