The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
Now that Patch V is out for a couple of days, and still theres no fix for it: I am getting scared that the BF1 sound is gona stay like it is for the next couple of month!
Sorry, but are you serious?
I mean, almost any car was improved (some more, some less) but the BF1 just sounds sh*t!!! We (our small Community) are having a BF1 Race in 2 Weeks and so we are all practicing a lot - and most of them refuse to update to Patch V just bcos the BF1 sound so bad.

Ok, if it cant be done better rigth now can we please have the old BF1 Version "U" Sound back? Pleeaase.

edit: voted for "Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction."
Well I've tried a few cars with the new sound. I have been driving the MRT a lot lately for the OWRL MRT Cup and I think it sounded better before the patch. It now sounds a lot like a hoover.

The FZR sounded a bit better though. I thought the BF1 was an improvement too.

What everyone needs to remember is when you are sitting in a car / on a bike the exhasust is behind you. Now I know that my GSXR with race can screams and howls and is very loud. I know this becuase everytime I open it up EVERYONE looks round. But to me, sitting in front of the exhaust, it just sounds like a standard bike. I can hear the induction from the K&N under the tank more than the zorst.

From my experience of driving proper race prepped cars the main noises you notice are things like the metallic banging of solid top mounts and hard polypropelene bushes. Eveything vibrates and it results in a cocophany of metallic noise. We don't get any of that in LFS.

I voted that this patch is not much different. Yes I think the new sound engine has more potential but as yet we have not reeped the benefits.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I thought the BF1 was an improvement too.

maybe from a pure technical point of view it was improved, but it sounds crap. I want the BF1 U sound back!!!:irked:
Quote from SchneeFee :maybe from a pure technical point of view it was improved, but it sounds crap. I want the BF1 U sound back!!!:irked:

I apologise. I must consider peoples reactions before expressing personal opinion. I now know that internet forums are not the appropriate place.

In future, if I have an opinion that differs from anyone elses I will keep it to myself. Sorry to have offended you.
Maybe you can explain why you "think" the BF1 was improved rather than being feed up. I mean: did your try it? (more than high reving in the pits, bcos idle sounds nice). Maybe it sounds different at your system, bcos otherwise i just cant imagine how "anybody" can call the new BF1 sound an improvement.
Quote from SchneeFee :Now that Patch V is out for a couple of days, and still theres no fix for it: I am getting scared that the BF1 sound is gona stay like it is for the next couple of month!
Sorry, but are you serious?

Are you serious? Did you think I was going to continue working on Christmas day? Hahaha

I'm having a break, that's required after working very hard for a long time.

Also, there is no occasion on which I stated, suggested, hinted or implied that the sounds are finished. I have never said anything like that at all. The only thing I've said is that they still need work.

But I'm having a break, I said that as well.

None of this needed saying, because it's obvious. It's just that I'm already starting to read people who are getting very worried that the sounds are now here to stay and will never be improved again. I really have absolutely no idea why they have made up such a silly idea as that. I would prefer not to have to come here and state such obvious things.
It's because people don't read the whole thread and don't read the other threads about the patch....

...LFS is updated more than any game I have, we have what we have so just be patient and wait for whatever is next.
[off-topic]
A late merry christmas and a happy new year for you, your family, and your team Scawen. You deserve it and take a rest for recharge your batteries.

2007 promises. If the sound is not that must yet, the right direction is taken.
scawen: did u think i wanted u to work on xmas day .

Your goal has always been to get a stable version so u can focus on the way to S2 final (as far as i understood). No doubt Version V is stable, and i welcome every improvement/fix that has come with it...but the BF1 sound..

After the Testpatches in which the sounds changed sometimes and also got better (even the bf1) i expected an acceptable sound for every car, and we got acceptable sound for every car -> except the bf1. The old sound provided a better feeling for the power and speed of this fast car - so maybe - after your brake we can get the old one back?

I never thought the sound will stay like this forever, but now that Patch V is out, there ll be a couple of month that we have to live with the current sound, and that was the reason for my post.

@graph: u r right, i am not reading every thread there is.
Quote from SchneeFee :Maybe you can explain why you "think" the BF1 was improved rather than being feed up. I mean: did your try it? (more than high reving in the pits, bcos idle sounds nice). Maybe it sounds different at your system, bcos otherwise i just cant imagine how "anybody" can call the new BF1 sound an improvement.

No mate, I didn't try it at all. I just thought I'd write that I thought it had improved even though I never tried it.

Ofcourse I tried it you eeedgut!
Well it's just a "wait and see" thing. I'm fully aware that the BF1 sound is weak. But it wasn't possible to make it sound good within the limits of the current system. There is experimentation that needs to be done. And the nature of experimentation is that I don't know what the results will be, so I can't estimate how long it will be until there are some better sounds available for you.

All I can say is (as I've said at least twice already) there's more to be done. I am not deaf so I can hear as well as anyone else that the BF1 doesn't sound like a F1 car. I'd also like to point out that it will never really sound like an F1 car - as anyone who has heard one live will tell you... when I heard the first one go past in the grandstand of a F1 race, everyone I could see was instantly in a panic trying to get their earplugs in before the next car came past - and if they couldn't get the earplugs in, then they just had to cover their ears for the next car then try again with the earplugs before the third car. It's that painful (or at least it was at that time... I don't know if they are quieter nowadays).

Speakers and headphones just don't make that kind of noise. Now that is NOT an "excuse" for the current BF1 sound. There are ways to make it better and that's what the experimentation is about. Next question : "are all the other cars acceptable". No, of course they will be improved as well. Sorry but all you can do is wait and see. I'll be experimenting and I'll be seeing what comes out as well - what and when that will be, I don't know.

I'm pleased to know from this poll that around 70% of people think they are an improvement. So they should be - they are done a much better way than in the old system. And that's encouraging. And it's nice to know that V is better than U in nearly all ways. So just stay calm a bit - the V sounds are better than they were in U - they're moving in the right direction so it's time for you to relax a bit - not get worried.
Hating the new muffled sounds...
Quote from Scawen :All I can say is (as I've said at least twice already) there's more to be done. I am not deaf so I can hear as well as anyone else

wait until your baby gets to you lol well its good to know this information thanks scawen very informing (lol you know im messin with you)

im kind of curious though (dont want to take you away from your family but this is just a small question about what you said in this last post), when you say the sounds aren't capable of being made in the current system, is that the reason for the clicking sounds? (because of limitations)?
or am i just.. not even near the ballpark lol

@harlen, i like them.. yes i like hearing the outside, but that would sound weird if your on the inside of the car

a major problem i've come up with (well not a problem, but what needs to be improved) is the sound cars make on driveby, and how the exhaust is too quiet right now
I don't know, but LFS cars sound as LFS cars, and this patch V is enough for a while.

I guess you got the way, so let the time goes. Ideas come and go, and time is important to take them best.

For now I thing it is enough.

I hope Scawen take time to improve aero physics and Eric do new tracks.

That is the most important thing for now I presume. The sounds can be better, they will be improved, but for now is enough. Lets take care of others things... after the restless is done
Quote from SchneeFee :maybe from a pure technical point of view it was improved, but it sounds crap. I want the BF1 U sound back!!!:irked:

try to get a hold of the u34 (was that the one ?) bf1 engine file and youll be set until scawen works on the sounds again
maybe somebody whos still got all older testpatches (i havent due to the auto updater) could post a repository of all older engine file versions ... im sure theres a engine note for every car that will please each of you until patch w
thx, thats what i am up to anyway. Back to Patch U.
edit: i do have a backup.
Quote from SchneeFee :thx, thats what i am up to anyway. Back to Patch U.
edit: i do have a backup.

going back to u woul be a bit extreme ... there was a u3x version with a rather nice sounding bf1
U34=u
here's is some old engine file for BF1, I don't know from which U3x it is... I think ajp71 posted this here few days ago.
Attached files
BF1_default_old.rar - 148.1 KB - 154 views
#146 - pie
Quote from Speed Soro :The sounds can be better, they will be improved, but for now is enough.

Sorry but i cant agree... i bet you arn't a BF1 driver!
I'm currently not driving BF1 as much as before because of the sound... so for me this is the most important thing

Scawen, i trust in you... i know you can make it sound better.
I just hope you can do something with my idea (soft clipping).
Please feel free to contact me about it...

Cheers and keep it up!
thx
I have an idea that I'm not sure has been mentioned or discussed before.

I noticed than when you go by a wall or something and hear the "echo" or reverb or whatever it is, that the sound is instantly more rich and full, and sounds quite a bit better overall.

Maybe in the tiptops it would be cool if the LFS sound system calculated and made a reverb affect for the inside of the car? Most race cars are stripped out inside and have lots of metal surfaces that the sound could bounce off of... It might sound pretty cool.
#149 - pie
Quote from BWX232 :Most race cars are stripped out inside and have lots of metal surfaces that the sound could bounce off of... It might sound pretty cool.

I think that would be way to CPU intensive to calculate in realtime.

If Scawen is ever going to reconsider the whole sound engine, i'd vote for a sample based (wav) engine. Just like most other games do... it isn't for nothing that virtually all games use this technique. It probably would be lighter on CPU too then calculating the sound in realtime.

Just take a look at the "Car Sound Remixer" mod for LFS and download the v2 soundpack... some cars sound really good!

Cheers!
Quote from deggis :here's is some old engine file for BF1, I don't know from which U3x it is... I think ajp71 posted this here few days ago.

Thats from U35 and I also like it best. Problem with it is lot of clipping when wind kicks in and with lots of cars in sight, so we have to lower car sound volume to something like 4-5 and even wind a little bit.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG