The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
Quote from Cue-Ball :While I agree with you on these points, the sad fact is that wishing for them doesn't do any good. 3D sound, EAX support, more varied sounds, more accurate sounds, etc. all have to be programmed by someone. In the case of LFS that someone is Scawen. As much as we all want better sound we also want about eleventy billion other things as well. There's only 24 hours in a day and we can't expect everything all at once. The new sounds have been very controversial and Scawen knows that they still need work. I fully expect that after his holiday break the sounds will be the first thing he works on since there have been so many comments about them. However; I definitely wouldn't expect to see 3D sound or EAX support in S2. That would require an entire rewrite of the sound code and while it would definitely be nice to have, it's certainly not a necessity. Better engine, transmission, and ambient sounds can go a long, long way towards satisfying everyone. Heck, GTR2 doesn't have 3D sound, 5.1 support, etc. and everyone raves about how great it sounds (even though it's not nearly as communicative as LFS).

for me the 3d sound should be priotiy though, i don't know why a game like gtr dosent have it but gtr dosent set any standards. i have dosne some 3d sound demos before using open al and directx audio and they arent insanely hard to do. although a game like LFS am sure it isnt going to be a walk in the park.

for those who are clueless on this its basically all u have to do is have a listener and some sources both have (x,y,z) cordinates, feeding those parameters into an api which then sends it off to the soundcard to do all the comlicated reverberations and multichannel stuff. he dosent have to rewrite anything just write some a little more (that is prob an understament though)

still there only one programmer. and that buts a damper on situation there gonna be comprimises here and there
Those who think that GTR gear whine is too loud, I recommend looking one great quality recording from Porsche 997 Cup car, http://files.renntv.com/download/download.php near bottom, Sabine_Schmitz.zip (73094.9 KB) you can hear engine quite ok, but gear whine is about as loud. At least for me so it is with LFS too.
The only thing I could critizise is, when you're watching the TV cam, you are still able to hear the gear whine from quite far away while I always got the impression that the gear whine would be drown out by the engine/exhaust noise...
some have this "vacuum cleaner" sound (is it supposed to be the gear w(h)ine) ... i miss the "wheez" a bit @ turbo cars ... rac sound +1 ;D

getting used 2 new sound

(bf1 gets annoying after some time, else ok )
I've just heard the sound of a gear whine while in reverse in a XRT and it sounds great! but I just saw a video of the XRT sounds in S1 and I have to say that they don't sound that bad
Why don't they just hire a sound guy? Scawen is doing great so far, but doing the sound for this sim is a full time job!
wow that shut everyone up...
everyone just put you on their "noob to ignore" list.
Did someone say something?
Well, I just can't see it possible to hire a sounds guy . The sounds in LFS are so related with the rest of the physics code (where it gets its info) that ti would mean that 2 people are dealing with same piece of code at the same time...

Maybe hire a texture artist and let Eric do the modeling? Or even better, they have already thought these options. Honestly, none of my business
burnzoire can u please choose something else as sig?
Just popped in to say that I changed my mind on the new sounds now that I know how to mess with them (text "/edit_eng" and then shift+A). Maybe its my speakers or something, but with a little nudging here and there all the cars sound better.
i dont like the new sounds, they all sound the same just different tones for the cars, when i first used the fzr with the new sounds i was shocked in how bad it went, and i was sliding everywere not being use to it lol, but i think the old sounds were way better than these

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG