The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
Your opinion about Patch V sounds?
Poll
I`d better go download it first
#3 - ajp71
The sounds have improved in just about every area except for this weird muffling of the engine sounds. If your complaining now listen to the gargling goldfish that was the BF1 in the first test patch with the new sounds.
#4 - heyen
Sounds very promising!
Definately a big step up from the last patch sounds, and heading in the right direction. Actually a couple of the cars sound amazing for a synth sound engine.
A step in the right direction and i like the fact the street cars sound is muffled and the race cars arent. Still sounds fake IMO like it still doesnt convince me its a real engine i can hear but it is better than before.
#7 - nihil
The LX6 sounds great. I've not followed the technicalities and I'll take everyone's word that its a step in the right direction, but... the XFG for instance sounds awful. I feel really disconnected while driving it. Why are the sounds so muffled on some cars? Thicker carpets in the footwells?
Quote from nihil :The LX6 sounds great. I've not followed the technicalities and I'll take everyone's word that its a step in the right direction, but... the XFG for instance sounds awful. I feel really disconnected while driving it. Why are the sounds so muffled on some cars? Thicker carpets in the footwells?

As i said in the post above i really like that in the road cars the sounds are muffled. If you think when you are in a car in real life then the engine noise is muffled by the sound deadening, carpets etc which if the road cars in lfs are excatly that road cars used on a track then the sound would be muffled. If you take out the gtr's for example the sounds are louder, you can hear the gear change clunks (clunk is a the technical term ) and engine more clearly.

Edit: Also i think everyone was used to the old sound so in a couple of weeks alot of people will be used to the new sounds and thent he old sounds will be weird.
A step to the right direction. Still sounds bad, just different than it used to. I'm using the U30 sounds simply because I'm used to them. Some of the cars sound strange, odd and funny instead of engine. I'm not really sure what kind of animals were used this time...

I really really hope that Scawen works more with the sounds for the next patch.

Still for the hard work.
a vague step in the right direction. sound is still shoddy. gear clicks and whine is the only substantial improvement imho.
Not a big difference in my opinion.

Many cars sound 'ok', some are just completely awful. Most people have said they don't like the muffling, but I can live with it, and am not bugged by it anymore. It is just the SOUND of the cars that are terrible to begin with. The FZR lacks so much for what it should truly sound like, and a lot of other cars are very poorly done. It just needs more time. I am sure they will get better and better
#12 - JTbo
I voted for Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.

Quote from Blowtus :a vague step in the right direction. sound is still shoddy. gear clicks and whine is the only substantial improvement imho.

Yes, but when I look at the big picture, then it doesn't actually sound half bad. The stuff you hear in LFS is maybe a fifth of the stuff that you hear in a real car driven at high speeds and near the limit. You can hear the suspension working, bodywork cracking, stones hitting, engine hopping, etc, etc. All that isn't modeled in LFS at the moment. If you add all those noises to the sounds we have, it's actually bloody well done.

Only point of criticism I have with the engine sounds at the moment is that they are dampened (muffled, if you wish) wrongly, although it's better than the first sound update was. In a real car, as the revs go up, the sound changes, and when frequencies change, so do the dampening capabilities of certain substances on that sound. In a real car, the bass sound we have now would get dampened out way more at the higher revs, while the higher frequency ranges would get amplified because they pass metals more easily. This is what gives an engine it's roar when it goes into high revs, or scream if it revs really high. Although there's definitely more roar in the bigger engines now, it's not quite there yet.

Still a huge improvement over the originals.
Quote from Greboth :If you think when you are in a car in real life then the engine noise is muffled by the sound deadening, carpets etc

Yeah, I realise that, but I'm not in a real car and the sound is one of those things that gives me feedback in the absence of 'real' feel. Maybe if I get some headphones it'd improve, but this 'smudgy' sound is just annoying... Besides I don't 'cruise' in LFS - I'd like the option to rip those useless carpets out of my XFG and save a bit of weight!

Quote :Edit: Also i think everyone was used to the old sound so in a couple of weeks alot of people will be used to the new sounds and thent he old sounds will be weird.

Possibly - but the 'old' sounds are only a week or two old to me!
Although I DO like the technical aspect of the new sounds, I don't like the the practical aspect of it.. I bet I will get tired faster because of the dull sounds, and have to spend quiet some time to get adjusted to them, as they are currently slowing me down

I don't use FFB and tire sounds are dimmed - so my reaction times are affected.. *whine*
I think the sounds are great, they provided me with greater feedback then ever, and wow does the LX6 sounded awesome!

I voted for the 2nd option, it's definitely going at the right direction.
deffinatly going in the right direction
still, the suzuki swift jwrc car sounds more powerfull than the XRR. so... there is obviously room for improvement.
Definatly in the right direction, the race cars just need way more raspyness though, its like the explosions have merged into a steady stream rather than pistsons firing...they actually sound like a rotary engine
Have anyone else noticed those sounds when you go near another car, that ratatatatatatata sound? It sounds so great!
I would have said slightly better but after several patches, and its on S2, the sounds should be better than Netkar namie, Racer, and other FREE games.

The gear whine sounds like the turbo but continually increases its pitch. I just asked my brother to listen to the sounds from outside my room and he could barely tell they were from a car.

For the love of God, if there is not going to be any feel in a FF steering wheel when the car is bouncy, please make sounds for the rumble strips. Also, if this is the best that can be done with the sounds, which are a critical part of the simulation experience, please change to the traditional sound sampling. There is no point in making all of us wait years to hear decent sounds while having to deal with these synthetic failures.
#21 - troy
voted also for the step into the right direction
try the RAC for example that thing sounds like hell of a beast now ^^
on some other cars i noticed myself switching outside now and then
just to hear those great sounds this thing produces outside of my car

like somebody earlier stated maybe a "open windows" (the cars windows) button
should be implemented that way we would have a realistic option to get rid of the muffling

also the bf1 and fo8 are definatly not there yet they should sound a bit more rough and loud
I like all ones

check this out, that sound is the most real of the world... LOL, its a pit stop of F1 car CLICK HERE
Globally it's better but there's still a lot of work to do.
The BF1's sound is awful!
are you kidding? it sounds more like an F1 now than it ever has
I think the bf1 sounds much better, but the fzr/fxr cars remind me of a jet engine

Your opinion about Patch V sounds?
(188 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG