The online racing simulator
That was boring as hell
Induce a little understeer in an attempt to make sure the rear doesn't step out? I've seen the technique before and that was my only real reasoning behind it.
It's something you do in karting, and some drivers keep it on into cars. It's not always the ultimate way to maximise speed, but it helps scrub speed and jack the kart.
Well it's Jan Charouz, he's not exactly Walter Wröhl when it comes to car control.

And Al, when you 'jack' a kart it helps it to turn on the spot because you lift the inside rear wheel, it doesn't induce understeer like it does in a car. Surely you'd know this?
That 'aggressive' turn-in was also something Alonso used to do quite a bit of in his days at Renault in the wet. Seems like he stopped doing it after a few years though. Whether that was just his style or it was something the car responded well to is another question.

edit: For example, Hungary 2006.
It was what the Michelin's liked. The bizarre style required to get the most out of them is one of the key reasons he (and others) struggled initially in 2007, as the Bridgestone was far more conventional and he had to re-adapt.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well it's Jan Charouz, he's not exactly Walter Wröhl when it comes to car control.

And Al, when you 'jack' a kart it helps it to turn on the spot because you lift the inside rear wheel, it doesn't induce understeer like it does in a car. Surely you'd know this?

You hit full lock and then lean on the outside wheel. You use the understeer to induce the jacking effect. it's a bit backward I know. It was mainly used in classes with low-grip wet tyres as you can't get the front to load enough.
Random self-promotion from a soggy Larkhall:

Yager Performance, XY-GTHO

Racing videos
(4786 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG