The online racing simulator
Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
Test Drive Unlimited
Just curious if anyone here who owns an Xbox 360 has tried the demo of this yet? It looks pretty interesting, I wish they'd release a PC demo so I could try it for myself. I like the concept of it a lot. I hope the physics are at least decent.

What are others' thoughts on this?
Altough I don't have first-hand experience, from what I've heard the physics aren't very good and there's no damage modeling
Seems to be very arcade from the comments and videos I've seen. at least it doesn't have bling bling ricer cars (like the recent NFS games).
Quote from deggis :Seems to be very arcade from the comments and videos I've seen. at least it doesn't have bling bling ricer cars (like the recent NFS games).

http://forums.eu.atari.com/sho ... p=703509&postcount=19

Quote from MagicFr :Well, i'm a bit lazy, i'll explain it again, like i already did on US Forums.... for the christ sake, why there is 2 english forums

I made car phyics & dynamics in the game.

The engine is a pure simulation... mathematic modelisation of real physics

Briefly that include
* tire model using modified pacejka 96
* 4 wheel independant
- rolling resistance, inertia,etc..
* full suspension model
- spring
- dampers ( slow & fast )
- antirolbars
* differentials , front,rear, central
- 3 types ( open, lsd, viscous )
* gearbox
* clutch
* engine
- full torque curve ( full injection cartography )
* aerodynamics
- drag
- lift
- draft effect
* Real driving helps
- Traction Control
- ESP
- ABS
4 positions for the driving helps
- Full help
- Sport
- Hypersport
- OFF
.. i'm sure i'm forgeting some stuff

On top of that,i had to create a steering help, because u just CANT drive a car with a funny 1" stick.
The steering help is , i think, the best compromise, beetween helping the driver counter steer and keep maximum control of the car.
There is help only for countersteering.

In the game, after some playing, you will won a ChronoPack, so you'll could mesure yourself 0-60mph.. then you will compare with the real cars

cheers,
- www.edengames.com -

You might recognize the name magicfr from around here.
That post is 6 months old... of course it might be that the engine itself could be pretty advanced but instead of taking all the advantage of it they spoil it with steering aids. Probably similar case than Flatout 1. Physics/gfx engine could have been a good platform for a really realistic dirt track game but then they throwed the engine away by spoiling it with weird driving helps and half-automatic handling.

Watch these videos... Of course I have never expected this to be a simulation but I hoped it would be something like NFS5: Porsche. Too arcade is simply too arcade. I hope they release the PC demo soon...

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747892/vids_1.html
That Hypersport sounds very nice
Quote from deggis :weird driving helps and half-automatic handling.

"The steering help is , i think, the best compromise, beetween helping the driver counter steer and keep maximum control of the car.
There is help only for countersteering."

Its a mainstream game for the xbox 360 so they need steering aids because not everyone wants a simulator. Im sure you could turn the aids off.
Yeah, I don't see a point in referring to the console version for a look at the physics. I hope (and am pretty sure) that aids will be possible to deactivate on the PC and that should give a better impression of the underlying physics.

While it still might not feel like an all-out sim, I expect it to be pretty solid.
Quote from KillerMonkey :Altough I don't have first-hand experience, from what I've heard the physics aren't very good and there's no damage modeling

No damage is only in the demo.

I played it for a few hours, and the bikes don't handle right (once you get your knee down you can't lift it back up, you just crash). But it was funish, the fact the police suck and once you stop you get busted was kinda crap.

But I'm loving the fact that it's going to be an MMO.
I'm expecting this to be one of those games that I will fire up occasionally to blow off steam. Right now I just wanna rip a nice car through some nice roads, but the only game I have where that can be done is NFS: PU and I don't feel like installing it on the old computer again.. game was junk anyways. :P I'm looking forward to giving TDU a test. Looks very intriguing.
Quote from sil3ntwar :"The steering help is , i think, the best compromise, beetween helping the driver counter steer and keep maximum control of the car.
There is help only for countersteering."

Its a mainstream game for the xbox 360 so they need steering aids because not everyone wants a simulator. Im sure you could turn the aids off.

I was talking about Flatout 1...
When will it be out on PC?
Gamestop.com (the site linked to by the pre-order option on the TDU website) says October 24th of this year.
#15 - JJ72
wot it will have a PC version?
I can bet one hand it will be far from being a sim, but like someone said if at least it reaches the NFS:Porsche style then it could be fun to try. The car interiors are impressive!! and there are no tunning options!
there are little tuning options (I heard)

AND you can open your windows and there's radio!
Only rims and stuff like that... so no bling bling ricer cars like in recent Need For Bling games.
I really hate this game, think it's awful, and the bikes are just terrible..... Def one to pass, if you want a 360 racer, go for PGR3!
deggis - you can mod some of the cars with bodykits, don't know how many.
I played this at the london motorshow and it was dire. Physics are similar to Outrun! hahah

unless that's how a Lambo murcielago handles
Is the NFS: Porsche you talk about the 2000 one or the unleashed one?
#23 - Jakg
Quote from Leifde :Is the NFS: Porsche you talk about the 2000 one or the unleashed one?

they are exactly the same, just different names, one for the US, one for Europe
Thanks, it would explain why i couldnt find porsche unleashed on ebay
When is/did this coming out? Is it in any stores? I really want it for my birthday, it's a proper NFS. It looks amazing.

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG