The online racing simulator
Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
v4ForLife is my gamertag(including caps) but im only ever on on weekends, and mostly on rainbow six vegas
bah my beta for the pc expired - gay!
Still released in 11 days on play.com. Yeay.
Was fun while it lasted Definately one to pop into Gamestation for once its out.
yea no more playing
only could play 2 days as it took me 4 days to download it (-_-)
if they're gonna make it less ressource intense i might get it, pretty fun.
if it stays like that i wont as i get like 20-25 fps with bad lags at higher speeds
I dunno how you guys can play a racing game with a stuttering framerate. It totally ruins any rhythm and immersion you might have.

Unless you blink a lot.
lol
like i said it wasnt really perfect but anyhow i had lotta fun.
once i drove 60 miles from 1 cardealer to another lol
like the huge world.
Quote from farcar :I dunno how you guys can play a racing game with a stuttering framerate. It totally ruins any rhythm and immersion you might have.

Unless you blink a lot.

That is just one of countless bugs that we can't know will it be fixed to release or not, some are fixed some are not that is what they say. Can't buy such product, imagine any other product that would be to shop with such way faulty.

Sure there is buigs in software and they usually needs patches, but the way TDU is, is just ridiculous, product is barely on level that can be beta tested.
BETA testing is all about finding bugs, that's what it's for.

ALPHA testing is testing which is done before all features are implemented. Assuming all the features are implemented, than it is a BETA. Doesn't matter how many bugs are in it, if the content is there, then it is a beta.
Game ran fine for me, framerates were fine with all settings on high @ 1280x1024 - no hdr.

I'd just got a saleen twin turbo (couldn't find where to tune it tho ) and i'd just bought and tuned a konigseggesseggessgeeggeggegggessegseg
I'll stick to my 360 version, I can't use my G25, but i've got LFS for my Sim Racing, TDU is more for cruising and some good head to head moments
Anyone else tried this out yet? I have found that the environments even roads are very lowpoly, so when you go over a hill or anything at highspeed you are bounced around pretty badly. Even with all the aids turned off, it still seems way too hard to do a donut, the back end just doesn't want to come around. But overall it seems like a pretty decent driving game, with tons of different cars that you can get.
demo out yet?
erm i think the beta was the demo lol UK release here i think is the 16th... cant wait, my friend has it on reserve so ill be round his when he has it
ok, this...thing...I had hopes for it..but I get 15 FPS while 640x480, and medium effects, the feedback from wheel is very loose, and the physics are way off...nfs:carbon was better in this aspect...
if it could be optimised, and the physics redone - it could be a better game
(running pentium at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Ram, GF6600 GT)
I get an occasional frame rate drop, but I think it's more to do with loading new scenery. If you consider the demo to be a 4gb torrent that only lets you try the offline mode, then yeah it's out. I have a copy reserved but it wont come out here for another 2+ weeks.
Quote from squidhead :ok, this...thing...I had hopes for it..but I get 15 FPS while 640x480, and medium effects, the feedback from wheel is very loose, and the physics are way off...nfs:carbon was better in this aspect...
if it could be optimised, and the physics redone - it could be a better game
(running pentium at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Ram, GF6600 GT)

When you get 450 points and reach champion level, you get the so called hardcore mode which changes the physics quite much..
Quote from tothegame.com :New Hardcore Mode: Available in free-ride and multiplayer challenges, simulation mode will expand the experience for players looking for ultra-realistic driving for both cars and bikes. For the cars, telemetric data shows the actual physics modelled on real life parameters (independent grip for each tyre, weight transfer with G-meter, suspension, etc). Adapted to steering wheels and the standard controller, the hardcore mode shows drivers exactly where they succeed and where they need to improve, pushing their driving skills and the vehicles to the very limits

It's actually quite good (I've only driven a lil with it though)..

And can't you set the force feedback in options? Maybe pull it up a bit in windows too then..

Edit: Btw, what is your pc specs? Checked the minimum/recommended requirements?
System requirements: http://forums.eu.atari.com/sho ... =1030613&postcount=18
Recommended: http://forums.eu.atari.com/showthread.php?t=48560
Bosse - thank you for the info...any CHEAP suggestion on how to improve fps?
Quote from squidhead :Bosse - thank you for the info...any CHEAP suggestion on how to improve fps?

I don't know, but it can be quite impossible. my fps goes down longer I play and at big city center it goes as low as 15fps, if I start at mountains it is around 50-60, but really fast comes down to 30 or so and never gets higher anymore until game is restarted.

Some say disabling force feedback and disconnecting wheel gives lot of boost but I fail to find reason behind that, how do you drive then, kb? That is almost impossible with all helps on.

Physics are surely shite, but much better than most of that understeering rail riding crap, even this too is mostly rail riding and you can do burnouts only with older cars and still there is really funny handling needed. It is not a sim.

A64 3200+
1GB ram
x850xt radeon
Is there mountains you can drive on in TDU?
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :Is there mountains you can drive on in TDU?

There is mountain roads if that is what you mean? However they are rather rough, they used sheets of 20m long blocks to make them I guess so your car is jumping quite a lot at 100kph already making those less fun.

On bigger roads bumps are however spot on, you can't keep accelerator floored all time because of those alone, yet to traffic.

Also you can go off road and try hill climbing too, or drive in forest, however there are no very good vehicles for this and weird grip makes it less pleasant experience.

Also you can open google earth and check those roads on Hawaii, should be same in game
Considering this is a piece of crap computer, i found out i could get it on PS2 for my birthday, but i'm afraid because it looks like the graphics suck arse on PS2.
Quote from Rappa Z :Considering this is a piece of crap computer, i found out i could get it on PS2 for my birthday, but i'm afraid because it looks like the graphics suck arse on PS2.

Also physics are going to be completely different on that so even they do share same name, games are completely different.

I would consider buying S2 and giving it to friend, that is more value than TDU really, those hundreds of hours of nice racing :P
Are you driving in that 'Hardcore' mode that Bosse mentions, JTbo?

Looks like my 3800+ / 6800GT will struggle though!

/Niels

PS: surely there must be some cheatcode so you can do the hardcore settings without spending hours gathering points? Google says there are no cheat codes..

this is hardcore mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIAmD5-vM0 and disregarding the jump.. it does seem to show cars no longer pull 3Gs in turns. Perhaps its 'good enough' for the leisure drive thing that I somehow find a cool prospect of this game! Tunezz on the radio.. window rolled down.. just cruisin.. :P
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Are you driving in that 'Hardcore' mode that Bosse mentions, JTbo?

Looks like my 3800+ / 6800GT will struggle though!

/Niels

PS: surely there must be some cheatcode so you can do the hardcore settings without spending hours gathering points? Google says there are no cheat codes..

I have not found any big cheats, surely some races you can do over and over again generating rather ok amount of money rather easy but still it is hours and hours of work and one really should like driving game before hardcore mode as there is most of game that you have to play before you get hardcore mode, which I have not unlocked and beta did end days ago. There is cheat how I could perhaps run beta even now, but I don't have so much interest to it because of bugs and low performance.

As you have Nvidia card it may run much better. Cockpit view is however useless because turn look that can't be deactivated so one really can't enjoy from that if driving as a sim.

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG