The online racing simulator
Test Patch D64
(243 posts, closed, started )
Quote from RealistAdam :I want to let you know this. Maybe you have an article on this subject, I may not have seen it. When the dipped beam headlights are on, the flash light is not turned on. It may not exist as a system. It would be great if it could be added.

At first I didn't understand but now I realise you are talking about the XR GT. And it's the same with the XR GT TURBO.

In fact the flash, low and high beam don't work at all and you can only see sidelights.

Thanks for the info, it's possible there may be a fix for this.
Hey @Scawen. On many cars the side lights are turned on whenever the headlights(low or high beam) are. My upcoming mod uses the High beam mapping for the sidelight(it's just not as bright as l_full) and when i turn on my lights (3 key) low beam comes on along with the sidelight but the sidelight indicator on the dash doesn't turn on even though the sidelight is clerarly on, as i can see it from the outside. Could you make it consistent so that whenever the sidelight mapping is turned on, that the bulb on the dash lights up too, not just when you do /light head side. Thanks
Also, it would be much appreciated someday if we could have a toggle for the dashboard warning lights that they are invisible when off. It would be a great addition to mods replicating more modern cars, which have this very effect - especially the cars with LCD displays as the dashboard. This is in many cars while driving at night!
Here's a bit of an idea what i'm talking about if you're interested:

You can see how the inactive dash warning lights are not visible. Thanks and Good luck !
Hello, quick question, now the slots to join on server its like 78, when will you increase the slots to drive to 70?
Quote from Rizzerz :Hello, quick question, now the slots to join on server its like 78, when will you increase the slots to drive to 70?

Relax Smile
Quote from JayDeM :I've never heard of dipped.

it's High beam/ Low beam in the states

Dipped = Low beam

My Volvo says "DIPPED BEAM BULB FAILURE" in the message screen on the cluster when the low beam burns out (US spec car)

I think the commands changed in D51 to low beam now
Quote from Rizzerz :Hello, quick question, now the slots to join on server its like 78, when will you increase the slots to drive to 70?

The plan is to look at increasing max cars in race sometime after the big update is released.

We need to see how the new physics works on everyone's computers (in the multithreaded system, which should help, if CPU has at least two, but preferably four cores) and after evaluating that we can see how the performance will be when extending to 48 cars in race.

The purpose of this current test patch is to release an official version with much better mod support than in the currently official version, so that mod makers can keep making nice mods while I get on and finish the physics for the new version (improved tyre physics and much better graphics, with significantly updated tracks) that we are all waiting for.
Quote from Scawen :
The purpose of this current test patch is to release an official version with much better mod support than in the currently official version, so that mod makers can keep making nice mods while I get on and finish the physics for the new version (improved tyre physics and much better graphics, with significantly updated tracks) that we are all waiting for.

Any plans to incrypt modded cars (By choice) if possible for the future? Or is it even possible at this stage?
Reason why I am asking, is due to plans of creating a championship where it would be good to hide certain information on cars.
Hey Scawen, could you also add to the interface the "Lights: off/side/low/high" message when the player does the /light head next command? Now it appears when you manually press SHIFT+3, but not when you run the /light head next command.

good patch tho, gg
I'm not certain that's the best idea. You could add a /echo command after the command that sets the lights. Would that do the job?

EDIT: OK that won't really work with /light head next but could work with /light head high

For example an F key bind (now that more than one command is allowed on a single line) could be:

/light head high /echo high beam
If the car you're driving has all dashboard lights supported, you won't need to see the info message, a long as you can see the dashboard or have virtual gauges on.

If you use Shift+3, you might not know what states are in the cycle yet, so the message is helpful. But once you get to use the command, you've most likely already learnt all the possible states so the message would be more distracting in my opinion.
Quote from Flame CZE :If the car you're driving has all dashboard lights supported, you won't need to see the info message, a long as you can see the dashboard or have virtual gauges on.

Virtual gauges I think don't display the new light symbols. Only high beam one
Quote from Ibtasim6781 :Virtual gauges I think don't display the new light symbols. Only high beam one

I've now added a note about this on my list.

I think it could show the relevant light icon, in the full beam icon's location.
Quote from Marty_Deslions :Hey Scawen, could you also add to the interface the "Lights: off/side/low/high" message when the player does the /light head next command? Now it appears when you manually press SHIFT+3, but not when you run the /light head next command.

Does /shift 3 show the message?
If it does, that's an alternative to /light head next if you want the message
The dimensions/low beam are spaced out as different indications, but in my mod the manufacturer made one lamp for all the light except the high beam, I think there are many such cars.
Quote from Vladimir_nose :The dimensions/low beam are spaced out as different indications, but in my mod the manufacturer made one lamp for all the light except the high beam, I think there are many such cars.

Is that good or bad? I don't know you are just making a comment or pointing out an issue.

The system is quite flexible, allowing lights to use separate reflectors or a shared reflector.

I know it doesn't cover all possibilities, but I hope it covers most in a reasonable way.
Quote from Scawen :Is that good or bad? I don't know you are just making a comment or pointing out an issue.

The system is quite flexible, allowing lights to use separate reflectors or a shared reflector.

I know it doesn't cover all possibilities, but I hope it covers most in a reasonable way.

Now the Side light/low beam are different indicators on the dashboard, there is no way to combine them into one indicator, for this reason in my mod there is no way to make the lamp work realistically, like on a real car, where the green light is on when the side light and low beam are on, and when the high beam is turned on, the adjacent blue lamp goes out and lights up.
I would like to see the possibility of combining indicators
Side light
Side light/low beam
Side light/low beam/high beam (change in turn)
Thanks in advance if this appears in the future).
Thanks for the explanation. I see, it's only about dashboard lights / icons.

In fact, what happens in real life depends on the car.

a) Some cars: no low beam symbol at all, only blue light when high beam
b) Other cars: green low beam symbol PLUS blue light when high beam
c) Other cars: green low beam REPLACED by blue light when high beam

Currently (a) and (c) are supported.
I have a note to add an option to support (b). In that case the "lesser" light icons will also be shown, instead of switching off.

Also I have a note to add an option to not show the (greyed out) icons and dash lights in OFF state.

[ NOTE: when I say "I have a note" that means I'll look into it in the next few days, not guaranteed to get it done ]
Some older cars have only two warning lamps of headlight, the green one is lit in all modes except high beam
blue - lights up only with high beams
I have two cars, 74 and 82 years old, in one there is only a blue lamp, when the side lights and low beams are turned on, only the instrument panel lights work
In the other, the green lamp lights up in all modes except high beam.
Old instrument panels, such as some Opels, Fords, Skodas from the 1980s, often work on this principle.

The range of warning lamps can be expanded in the future.
Some American cars have such a device as an ammeter; it can be found right up to the 90s, but it seems to me inappropriate to add it, although it will increase the plausibility of some modifications.
What is probably missing the most right now are broader options for customizing the dashboard; it also seems a little strange to me that the engine temperature sensor is marked from 1 to 0; it would be more logical to convert it to Celsius/Fahrenheit.

While I was watching how the control lamps worked, I realized that there was really not enough sound from the turn signal relay)

I think in the future we can continue to implement small but pleasant things that add realism for a long time.
I hope I was understood correctly with my English and I apologize that I may have gone off topic.
Quote from Vladimir_nose :I hope I was understood correctly with my English

Yes, thank you.

There are so many possibilities, I can't think of a simple way to support them all.

The different ways that dashboard lights work, or the interactions between sidelights, daytime running lights, low and high beams.

Also, features such as daytime running lights becoming indicators. Some American cars flashing the red tail lights instead of dedicated indicator lights.

Daytime running lights that are always on when the engine is running, but dimmed or off when other lights come on. DRL may or may not have an equivalent on the rear.

Some things I don't even know yet, like if a car has daytime running lights, does that mean it doesn't have a "sidelights" option on the headlights switch (traditionally have three settings: off, sidelights, headlights) is their headlights simply off / on / auto?

Oh yes automatic headlights, yet another thing.

Clearly, this stuff is not going to be covered before the release in under two weeks. I wonder if some kind of more fully flexible system will need to be created in the future, but anyway I don't have time to think about it now. All I'm doing at this point is some fixes for important issues and a few things that are simple to update. Also have been discussing things on an Editor suggestion thread.
Quote from Scawen :... if a car has daytime running lights, does that mean it doesn't have a "sidelights" option on the headlights switch (traditionally have three settings: off, sidelights, headlights) is their headlights simply off / on / auto?

Yes, DRLs have a sidelights switch (for LED ones anyway):
DRL: Front only (except Scandinavia where they also have taillights); bright enough to outshine the sun
Sidelights: Dim front to not blind people when it's darker + taillights.
Headlights: Normally still have DRL on in dim mode in addition to dipped/full beam.

Auto lights usually have the above plus an auto position.

(Not suggestions, just an FYI 😉).
Quote from Scawen :Daytime running lights that are always on when the engine is running, but dimmed or off when other lights come on. DRL may or may not have an equivalent on the rear.

On my car (Renault Clio 5), depending on the version you buy, DRLs also turn tail lights on. My lights switch has 3 positions: auto/side/low, and turning the side lights on dims the front DRLs without changing the tail lights.
Looking forward to what the new graphics will bring as far as lighting is concerned, especially night time of course Smile
Quote from Degats :Does /shift 3 show the message?
If it does, that's an alternative to /light head next if you want the message

that works! tslm

for my x360 controller i had first this /press 3 command, and i wanted to turn it into the shift+3 command, but /press shift+3 doesnt work :/

But /shift 3 works! gg
Not sure if this has been reported but auto-shifting seems to be having some issues.

1- Downshifting seems to happen now at lower RPMs than before. For example if a car, when accelerating, every gear after 1st was set to go from 2000 to 3000 RPM and then would upshift. Before i have the impression it would downshift when engine decelerating roughly if RPM would reach around/below 2000. Now it can go down to 1000 RPM, way lower than the optimum zone for that gear.

2- Sometimes doesn't go over a certain gear. Eg with Cruiser~014 if you keep accelerating it won't go over 3rd gear in automatic, it's like you're not even accelerating. Then after a while it starts accelerating again but won't go to 4th again.
I've already tried it and I can say that I really loved it!!
What I liked most was the increase in participants per server, this is very good, the more servers it supports, the better for competition in LFS.

I believe that when every LFS update is released (physics, graphics, etc.) we will have great tests in LFS again and I believe that it will still be necessary to increase the number of participants per server in the future 😍

Thank you and many congratulations Scawen for the enormous work 💗
This thread is closed

Test Patch D64
(243 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG