The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Hyperactive :But then on the other hand there is the dilemma of improving the old tracks or creating new ones

That's an easy one, just make new ones. By the time I am done editing the existing ones they will look like a totally different tracks.
Quote from Intrepid :
You can only improve general skills like accuracy, and concentration. You learn these as much, if not more, in LFS than you do in iRacing.

Couldn't disagree with you more on that one. I've been racing LFS for quite some time now and for a few months on iRacing too. If you spend the time to get used to the iRacing system, it improves your overall skill a lot better and in the right areas!

I enjoy LFS just as much, if not more than iRacing, but if you are looking for a SIM then iRacing so far is where it's at.
Quote from StableX :Couldn't disagree with you more on that one. I've been racing LFS for quite some time now and for a few months on iRacing too. If you spend the time to get used to the iRacing system, it improves your overall skill a lot better and in the right areas!

I enjoy LFS just as much, if not more than iRacing, but if you are looking for a SIM then iRacing so far is where it's at.

Could you be more specific?

For example in terms of reality NetKar's Aim Data association has been a absolutely birlliant tool for training drivers with data.

I thinks sims in general have natural limitations about how much they can teach a driver. Your NOT going to learn the tiny intricacies in a simulator that you get in real life, no matter HOW good they are.

For example I have helped drivers improve their general overtaking using LFS. Teach them the basic concepts of overtaking and how you approach it. Sims are FANTASTIC for this. What it can NOT teach them is the SPECIFICS of how the vehicle will move beneath them or How the body is effected. The actually bodies ability to understand rotation or 'yaw' is quite important. In a sim your static.

To a certain degree it doesn't matter how realistic the simulation is. A good driver can adapt to any vehicle. LFS vehicles are in their own reality and it's up to a driver to adapt. LFS is REALITY, as is iRacing.

Yes simulations are an unbelievably good substitute for racers who don't get on the track that often, but LFS provides as good as substitue as iRacing.

iRacing is for sim racers, and NetKar/LFS is for real racers. And the reason for this is real racers need money for tyres/entries/stuff. LFS/NetKar provide as good a training tool as iR.

BUT of course the sim has to have a level of competance. Need For Speed aint gonna teach you jack
Quote from Intrepid :What it can NOT teach them is the SPECIFICS of how the vehicle will move beneath

I'd like to believe that they can teach you something about vehicle dynamics. "If you do this, you'll get understeer like this, on the other hand, if you do this you get oversteer like this", and so on. I'd love to take a real life Solstice around a real track, wire it all up with telemetry, then match inputs to outputs with the same in iRacing.

Assuming a simmer could drive the thing in iRacing, and that iRacing is reasonably accurate, couldn't you expect that simmer to be able to do the same in real life once he/she gets accustomed to the g-forces?
Quote from Hyperactive :But then on the other hand there is the dilemma of improving the old tracks or creating new ones

Do both!
How much are the Addons?

Im thinking about trying iRacing for 3 months.
Quote from mclarenmatt :How much are the Addons?

Im thinking about trying iRacing for 3 months.

Cars work out about $15 - $25
Tracks from $15 - $25.

If you buy 3 items you get 10% discount.
If you buy 6 items you get 20% discount.
Quote from StableX :Cars work out about $15 - $25
Tracks from $15 - $25.

If you buy 3 items you get 10% discount.
If you buy 6 items you get 20% discount.

Thanks
Btw. Could we possibly have this thread name changed into iracing.com or something as it has gone horribly offtopic in the sense that the pricing was discussed like 500 pages ago?
Renamed iRacing and moved to off-topic, along with the nkp 1.03 thread.
Quote from Hyperactive :Btw. Could we possibly have this thread name changed into iracing.com or something as it has gone horribly offtopic in the sense that the pricing was discussed like 500 pages ago?

you realise youve posted this right under 3 posts on pricing?
Samh, while you are at it, could you remove those three posts above my recent post that are about ipricing, thanks
Quote from SamH :Renamed iRacing and moved to off-topic, along with the nkp 1.03 thread.

Doesn't seem right being in OFF-Topic....... as it is to do with Sim Racing.....

Maybe we need a general Sim Racing Section.... Going by the forum section description, putting the NetKar and iRacing in here is not correct!
Wow 137 pages big topic
Quote from Luke.S :Wow 137 pages big topic

82 Pages here. I use 50 posts per page.

Quote from StableX :Doesn't seem right being in OFF-Topic....... as it is to do with Sim Racing.....

Maybe we need a general Sim Racing Section.... Going by the forum section description, putting the NetKar and iRacing in here is not correct!

I agree. However, I'm not sure what the Devs would think of it. After all, this is the official LFSforum.
Quote from hrtburnout :I agree. However, I'm not sure what the Devs would think of it. After all, this is the official LFSforum.

Yeah, I do here you on this. My thought is that LFS is certainly unique enough to hold its own. I've played iRacing, rFactor, NetKar, GRT Evo and all act as a compliment and condiment to my staple diet of LFS! In no way would I want to stop people buying LFS and I honestly don't think it would by having an "Other Sims" section. But to put things like this in an "off topic" section, it looks totally out of place and why should discussions on other sims be subject to more strict rules than other sections?

To me its a balls out statement and confidense from the Dev's that LFS is what it is and a knockout product (certainly not an Alpha game!).
Quote from StableX :Yeah, I do here you on this. My thought is that LFS is certainly unique enough to hold its own. I've played iRacing, rFactor, NetKar, GRT Evo and all act as a compliment and condiment to my staple diet of LFS!

So true. There's no reason for most sim racers not to have a nice collection of sims that can completely complement each other.

None of the best three (imo) LFS,nKPro and iRacing do what the others do.

LFS is the clear winner for simply being able to jump into race at almost any time of day, with a huge variety of cars. (for the Europeans at least)

iRacing is the structured, most professional sim, for all your organised racing needs.

nKPro is in a league of its own for your hardcore simulation needs. It makes some of iRacings 'arcade' features stand out.

All three do different things, and personally i find driving all of them makes my driving better in the others. I learn things from each sim that i can put to use in the others.

The LFS devs have nothing to worry about with people driving other sims as well, as they all have their unique features. Only when someone comes up with a sim that offers everything the 3 biggies (imo )do in one package will they have to think about not allowing discussions about it on their forum. And tbh i dont see that ever happening.
Quote from The Moose :So true. There's no reason for most sim racers not to have a nice collection of sims that can completely complement each other.

None of the best three (imo) LFS,nKPro and iRacing do what the others do.

LFS is the clear winner for simply being able to jump into race at almost any time of day, with a huge variety of cars. (for the Europeans at least)

iRacing is the structured, most professional sim, for all your organised racing needs.

nKPro is in a league of its own for your hardcore simulation needs. It makes some of iRacings 'arcade' features stand out.

All three do different things, and personally i find driving all of them makes my driving better in the others. I learn things from each sim that i can put to use in the others.

The LFS devs have nothing to worry about with people driving other sims as well, as they all have their unique features. Only when someone comes up with a sim that offers everything the 3 biggies (imo )do in one package will they have to think about not allowing discussions about it on their forum. And tbh i dont see that ever happening.

100%. do you think it's right threads like these go in OFF-Topic Moose?
Quote from StableX :100%. do you think it's right threads like these go in OFF-Topic Moose?

Well, it's off the topic of LFS, and Sims aren't General Racing either, so i guess it's currently the right place.

I would certainly like to see a separate section to discuss other racing sims though. Or other sims in general (flight sims/train sims etc. I think quite a lot of race simmers like other simulations as well)
Maybe "Other Software", so not to call other sims games (what heresy!), and the FarCry 2 and Fallout 3 threads would have a proper place too...
I don't think there's a need for yet another subforum. As the place for topics that don't have to do with LfS or racing, games and sim threads fit here perfectly.
The last thing LFS want to do is to continually promote rival simulators I doubt you will see massive threads about LFS on the iRacing forum
Quote from Intrepid :The last thing LFS want to do is to continually promote rival simulators I doubt you will see massive threads about LFS on the iRacing forum

true but it's surprising how often LFS crops up in posts and it's always complementary
Quote from StableX :Maybe we need a general Sim Racing Section....

so with the sims we have discussed here thus far wed have a thread on iracing one on nkp one on rfactor and one on gp bikes... a whole new section for 4 threads
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG