The online racing simulator
Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
Gerboth, thank you for defending the RIGHT point of view.

Drifting is not some easy stuff... I have the guts to say that it might be sometimes harder then gripping. You do not point your sterring wheel to the direction you want to go, but to the amount of steer needed to keep the car sideways and sliding in the desired direction. All this all the same time, you have to manage the throttle (ok gripping also), too much power delivered might either swing the car to a deadly angle--> into spinout.

Another thing is after 1-2 laps, the tires are getting worn out, don't tell me it's easy to predict how the car will slide/ turn and constantly applying the right amount of throttle at the moment.

As last, it is NOT figure skating... eumm i don't wear tight pants dancing in the air... but i have to agree that it is similar to the JUDGING of figure skating. Speed, angle, precision, control. All 4 elements are interdependant and if you fail to master one of them, it's not drifting, it's just simply powersliding. For example, using the XRT, TSC from SimX team drifts 10 laps of SO long rev on one set of tires, no refuelling, no pitting. I don't have anyone else in mind right now. I do 7 laps of SO long rev on the 4WD RB4. Linking the corners, one after the other, lap after lap, until your tires fails you REQUIRES skills. AND I HATE IGNORANT PEOPLE RANDOMLY INSULTS THE DRIFT COMMUNITY THEY HAVE NO SKILLS... redeem yourself.
Quote from -DrftMstr- :As last, it is NOT figure skating... eumm i don't wear tight pants dancing in the air... but i have to agree that it is similar to the JUDGING of figure skating. Speed, angle, precision, control.

Rules - not clothes - define a sport, judging is applicating rules, hence the comparison.

Quote from -DrftMstr- :until your tires fails you REQUIRES skills. AND I HATE IGNORANT PEOPLE RANDOMLY INSULTS THE DRIFT COMMUNITY THEY HAVE NO SKILLS.

To support your beloved community, a better idea would be to objectively point out your arguments and leave it at that, this sort of rant i'm afraid will do pretty much the opposite.

Quote from Greboth :if i make a mistake drifting a corner isnt a bad thing (i dont mean simple oversteer before sumone says it) but i got ban from some random server for drifting one corner. I was in the lead and i braked hard and the back stepped out so i accelerated and drifted the corner

And this is a brilliant example of drifting meaning something completely different, i'm sure this has happened to every single "grip" racer, in the world, ever. (read as clarkson), and i wouldn't see this as drifting at all, you've made a slight mistake and still struggling to keep your speed/position to the best of your ability, not aiming to get some kind of points.
Yup. Talking in capitals without punctuation will always win you respect.

DrftMstr, filur has made a very good point. That's exactly the kind of explosive reaction which makes some people think drifters are hot-headed, overly defensive, immature and arrogant (I don't, for the record). If you feel you're being unfairly represented then, of course, you should defend yourself, but just flying off the handle just adds fuel to peoples' misconceptions and prejudices about drifters. I think most people around here appreciate the skill required to drift competetively, but don't place all that much importance on it. Personally I see drifting as something cool to watch and a bit of fun, and definitely something quite skillful, but ultimately it will always be a sideshow for me as I'm passionate about racing. To me, racing (rallying included) is the pinnacle of what you can do with a car and anything else is secondary. I won't get upset if someone disses the sport I love though - as far as I'm concerned they're missing out if they don't like racing.
Quote from filur :
And this is a brilliant example of drifting meaning something completely different, i'm sure this has happened to every single "grip" racer, in the world, ever. (read as clarkson), and i wouldn't see this as drifting at all, you've made a slight mistake and still struggling to keep your speed/position to the best of your ability, not aiming to get some kind of points.

Its not really a good example of drifting meaning something different. I did drift the corner i admit that, but due to me loosing the back end under braking. Im not complaining about it really.
Unless you mean the example as people mis understanding drifting and flaming, kicking, banning anyone who has a slight powerslide etc.

IMO this thread should be closed, everything that can be said has been and it all flaming and flaming back now.
Quote from tristancliffe :Edit: And why, with all the other posts between mine and yours did you feel mine was the one to pick up on? :/

Because yours was well argumented though I don't agree. There's no point to answer to trolls, so I answer to people who deserve it.
Quote from Greboth :Its not really a good example of drifting meaning something different. I did drift the corner i admit that, but due to me loosing the back end under braking.

Let's try that one again: It's a good example because i'd say you weren't drifting at all, everyone makes mistakes that ends in more or less powersliding thru a corner, yet you say you drifted the corner.
Quote from wabbit :Simply watch the following video (from start to finish):

http://www.youtube.com/w/Tough ... txmzOzC0&search=drift

worst kind of drifting ... ridiculously looking blinking cars with stupid wings and smokers as tyres ... the drivers certainly are amazingly skilled (drifting on such a narrow track with all that smoke) but the cars are the worst

still i wish there was a wheel for the pc with which one could drift like this
Quote from filur :Let's try that one again: It's a good example because i'd say you weren't drifting at all, everyone makes mistakes that ends in more or less powersliding thru a corner, yet you say you drifted the corner.

Maybe my view on what drifting is is wrong. I always thought that it was the art of having a car sideway before a corner using accelrator, hand brake (e brake) clutch downshifting etc to carry on the slide throughout the corner. And on that view i did drift the corner, as i was sideways before and throughtout the corner. It was un intensional but in my view it was a drift. I understand my view maybe be wrong and i will happily accept it if i am if people tell me what drifting really is.
Quote from Greboth :I understand my view maybe be wrong and i will happily accept it if i am if people tell me what drifting really is.

Last attempt, i was trying to say there's very different ideas of what the term drifting means, i wasn't saying you were wrong in any way.
just gotta love crazy Japanese people screaming!

but seriously, everyone here can agree that we all like cars so we have something in common? right. now why cant everyone agree that everyone likes there own style of racing weather it be drag,drift,grip,rally,f1,nasscar, etc.. just like everyone likes the cloths they wear... some other people might not like your cloths but someone doesn't walk up to you in the street and tell you that you suck because of what cloths you wear.....so why argue about racing styles?
Quote from filur :Last attempt, i was trying to say there's very different ideas of what the term drifting means, i wasn't saying you were wrong in any way.

ah ha i got you now lol. Sorry got lots goin on at the minute and not thinking bout much lol.

Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG