The online racing simulator
Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
#26 - shim
i do drift heaps, but i also race now and then.. but drifting has helped my racing skills out heaps.. like if i put me foot down and the ass end starts to slide out, i do counter just the right amount and drift out the corner instead of spinning like a lot of ppl who cant drift
Quote from Drift_junki3 :Have you seen the Best Motoring Drift Bible DVD? Keiichi Tsuchiya (drift king) demonstrates exactly that with a drift s14 silvia. To me it looks like he can keep up with the ghost fine using the speed drift technique.

always seemed to be slightly behind in all of them though. no lap times to compare, and that senna vid is just 1 corner

i like drifting but i just dont agree with that comment
It seems to me we should all just take sides and fight it out. there's absolutely no way that racers and drifters could possibly co-exist!

I mean it's not like there's a choice of server out there or anything.

And we should completely ban noobs too!
This makes me think about the top gear track. I just depends on the car, The Stig can still make very good laptimes with a car with bad rear traction. He can slide through the corners, and still have a very good laptime. He needs some drifting experience too for this kinda stuff.

O/T: Who knows where all the top gear videos went to on video google? I used to get a whole lot of new and very old eppisodes, now I only get dumbass people racing their ferrari in top gear or something.

Quote :And we should completely ban noobs too!

I'll leave :Kick_Can_
I'll just add my comments, even if they are unwelcome

When your racing along in a normal, sensible fashion, and you lose the back end and have to catch it with opposite lock, then that is NOT DRIFTING. Not even slightly. The term 4-Wheel-Drift (for example) was not invented because Jim Clark put shiny wheels on his car, decal on backwards and used red tyres. No one in DTM EVER drifts. No one in F1 EVER drifts. Drifting is NOT in racing. Catching slides is a necessary evil, and any racer worth his weight in salt can catch slides.

Drifting is when you purposely get the back end of the car at huge angles, maybe with two or three cars side by side, so that you can be judged on style, speed, angle, entry, exit etc. It takes a lot of skill (I have tried it thank you very much), although I believe the RANGE of skills to be much much less. Oh, and it is 100% impossible to DRIFT a FWD car. They are just skids, and it's not the same. If I ask you to hold a 45 degree drift round a skid pan at 60mph you couldn't do it in a FWD car...

The other factor is that the size of the drift community here in LFS is becuase of the dodgy tyre physics at slow speeds and recovering grip. When that is fixed a lot of you 'drifters' will suddenly hate and leave LFS, much like those that suddenly couldn't cope with less that 100000 degree of lock. Of course the good, serious drifters (and I've had the pleasure now of watching some of the people who fall into the catagory) will love the new challenge. So if you aren't a pro drifter (or can't in real life/other sims) then be prepared to hate LFS in the near future.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'll just add my comments, even if they are unwelcome

When your racing along in a normal, sensible fashion, and you lose the back end and have to catch it with opposite lock, then that is NOT DRIFTING. Not even slightly. The term 4-Wheel-Drift (for example) was not invented because Jim Clark put shiny wheels on his car, decal on backwards and used red tyres. No one in DTM EVER drifts. No one in F1 EVER drifts. Drifting is NOT in racing. Catching slides is a necessary evil, and any racer worth his weight in salt can catch slides.

Drifting is when you purposely get the back end of the car at huge angles, maybe with two or three cars side by side, so that you can be judged on style, speed, angle, entry, exit etc. It takes a lot of skill (I have tried it thank you very much), although I believe the RANGE of skills to be much much less. Oh, and it is 100% impossible to DRIFT a FWD car. They are just skids, and it's not the same. If I ask you to hold a 45 degree drift round a skid pan at 60mph you couldn't do it in a FWD car...

The other factor is that the size of the drift community here in LFS is becuase of the dodgy tyre physics at slow speeds and recovering grip. When that is fixed a lot of you 'drifters' will suddenly hate and leave LFS, much like those that suddenly couldn't cope with less that 100000 degree of lock. Of course the good, serious drifters (and I've had the pleasure now of watching some of the people who fall into the catagory) will love the new challenge. So if you aren't a pro drifter (or can't in real life/other sims) then be prepared to hate LFS in the near future.

Totally agree. Why you people flame him just for not liking drifting? Most of you dont like it either. Almost in every topic about drifting there is this comment "Drifting is for noobs, dont learn it." I see many of you agree with this, so I dont understand what happened that everybody loves drifting now. As Tristian said there is no drifting in racing. I dont know how to drift and I can get my car out of dangerous situations where I would be on the grass or sand. So I disagree with all of you (except Tristian) that you need drifting skills to control your car, because you can learn them without trying ever trying.
<rant>And the award for most pointless and repeated conversation goes to : *drum roll* this thread!

Really come on guys, racing and drifting totally different. I race more than drift but i drift when theres no races i wanna do or when im to tired to concentrate on racing. Also because i was into the D1 GP before i played this game. I no drifting isnt seen by alot of poeple as "motorsport" and i can see why, im kind of in the middle on that, its motorsport as they use cars but not in the sense of f1 or dtm etc.

I really dont see why the majority of drifters flame grippers and most gripers flame drifters.
As i said they are different and need different skills. If you dont drift and you dont like drifting thats your opinion, if you dont grip race and you dont like it thats your opinion.
To completely blow this out of proportion - i dont like sprouts. Now all the people who do flame me cause i do. BUt you probably wont because you see that as its my free choice, so why do people feel the need to with gripping and drifting </rant>

Edit : please excuse spelling mistakes im in a rush.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Motorsport is every sport involving a motor. Boat racing can be seen as a motorsport too. Flying scale models of planes is a motorsport too as far as I'm concerned.

Problem here is, we have a group of grippers, and a group of drifters, but only one game they want to do it in. This convo will exist for ever, as long as these two groups exist. It's just how the world works, there are always two opposite groups fighting each other over whose better. It's like religion, so many religions, and there is nobody that can tell me which one is the best, because it's relevant to your person.
drifting is a Japanese sreet racing event. It should have nothing to do with raceing and doesn't have anything to do with racing.

BUT in the early 60's and 50's the cars did slid at about 10 degrees cause there was no traction control or downforce. Not drifting still.

Also driftng is only used in road racing for a SAVE not that crap style.
Quote from Jakg :not neccesarily, afaik LFS is one of the few games that realistically simulates road cars

I'm guessing you're are referring to the bit about it's gonna become harder. One of the main bits of drifting is the cars lose and regain grip. In LFS currently it's a very linear, predictable, easy slide to catch, with less chances of overcorrecting that real life. If Scawen's super duper new patch fixes that tyre behaviour problem then I fully expect any drift to be harder - the cars will 'suddenly' regain grip, the chances of over correcting will be that much higher, and most people won't be able to do it anymore as their lack of skill is currently masked by LFS's deficiencies in this area.
Quote :Motorsport is every sport involving a motor. Boat racing can be seen as a motorsport too. Flying scale models of planes is a motorsport too as far as I'm concerned.

Problem here is, we have a group of grippers, and a group of drifters, but only one game they want to do it in. This convo will exist for ever, as long as these two groups exist. It's just how the world works, there are always two opposite groups fighting each other over whose better. It's like religion, so many religions, and there is nobody that can tell me which one is the best, because it's relevant to your person.

Couldn't have put it better.
Live for Speed
Live for Drift
#37 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm guessing you're are referring to the bit about it's gonna become harder. One of the main bits of drifting is the cars lose and regain grip. In LFS currently it's a very linear, predictable, easy slide to catch, with less chances of overcorrecting that real life. If Scawen's super duper new patch fixes that tyre behaviour problem then I fully expect any drift to be harder - the cars will 'suddenly' regain grip, the chances of over correcting will be that much higher, and most people won't be able to do it anymore as their lack of skill is currently masked by LFS's deficiencies in this area.

i should of cut down the quote from you, what i mean is that there arent many games that simulate (key word) road cars, therefore drifters are drawn to LFS (NFS - to arcadey, GTR - Try drifting a race spec FIA GT Car!), and you have to accept that drifters are part of the community, they paid for a license the same as you, i dont quite undertand this hostility towards drifters, i understand its annoying when somebody omplains about tyres burning out after drifting for 10 laps, or asking for 360 degrees of lock, but the pros that drift on their own server arent affecting anyone, so why the hostility?
#38 - Vain
There is (about) no hostility, just a lot of teasing.

Vain
Quote from farique :where is he btw?

I think he learnt his lesson.

If by "he" you mean me, I'm right here....

Unfortunately I have other things to do besides monitor this thread all day.

I asked a question, My question was answered & I gave an opinion on the subject... After that I have nothing more to add on the subject.
Quote from Becky Rose :I dont go down to the town pool and shout at the syncronised swimming team because I want to do a few laps.

You miss the point Becky.

I was the one who was shouted at for "NOT Drifting"

That is what prompted me to come here and find out wtf drifting is all about.

Also note I was not attempting to start a race or interfering with anyone in the server.... simply driving "normally" around the track.

So, to use your analogy... I would be the "syncronised swimmer" being shouted at.
#41 - SamH
I'm usually all for concilliatory comments, and peace-keeping, but right now I'm well narked with drifters.

They're not just pursuing a different form of motorsport but they're also, in my direct and personal experience, a bunch of completely inconsiderate, irresponsible, arse-faced tossers. They wreck races by blocking up the track during a race, ON a race server, with NO mention of DRIFT in the server name, and then they blatantly turn to wrecking when they're asked to sort it out. I'm talking about S2, here, not EVEN demo!!

It's a different mentality from racing, and it obviously attracts a different kind of person. Well, long may they feck off into the sunset and stick to their own damn servers, and do what the hell they want there.

No, I haven't had good experiences recently on our servers with drifters and their bad-ass attitudes.
Quote from Jethro! :You miss the point Becky.

I was the one who was shouted at for "NOT Drifting"

That is what prompted me to come here and find out wtf drifting is all about.

Also note I was not attempting to start a race or interfering with anyone in the server.... simply driving "normally" around the track.

So, to use your analogy... I would be the "syncronised swimmer" being shouted at.

not really since it was a drift server. you were the guy doing the laps while everyone else was doing synchronized swimming
Quote from Gabkicks :not really since it was a drift server. you were the guy doing the laps while everyone else was doing synchronized swimming

point taken, however, at that time I didn't even know what drifting was.

The most important thing I have learned from this thread is to stay far far away from any server with drift in the name.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :on tarmac however, people can argue that you get quicker times drifting certain tracks but i've never seen an example of this. grip racing will always lead to quicker lap times, drifting is more about putting on a bit of a show and having some fun.

watch old f1 videos ... the drivers countersteer quite a bit round every corner ... it isnt show drifting with lots of angle but a fast 4 wheel drift ... and as it is f1 if they were faster going round the corners in full grip they certainly wouldnt drift at all

Quote from guybrush :http://video.google.com/videop ... 4277824545689&q=senna

not a fast drift ... its a slow drift used to block the line

Quote from tristancliffe :Drifting is when you purposely get the back end of the car at huge angles

yes and no ... id argue that the so called 4 wheel drift is on purpose and its still drifting even though you dont go at a show drift angle

Quote :The other factor is that the size of the drift community here in LFS is becuase of the dodgy tyre physics at slow speeds and recovering grip.

dont think so ... with drifts in lfs youre usually well above say 70 kmh so your out of the range of the slow speed tyre problems ... and as far as diffs without preload and the slow recovery of grip are concernd the only changes that the drifters will expiereince are that it will take a bit more force to initiate a drift and maybe it will become impossible to link corner that are far apart where the tyres nature not to regain grip at all helps a lot
ive argued before and im prepared to argue once again that the fact lfs has become a drifters sim relies on lfs outstanding simulation of weight transfer

oh and not quoting your second post but commenting on it
sure overcorrecting might become more of an issue with tyres that regain grip more suddenly but with lfs great ffb and the fact that almost nobody drifts with much more than 270° of lock i doubt it will be much of an issue

Quote from SamH :...

ive yet to see a single drifter drift (intentionally) on a race server
If no one have noticed - discussion about drifters/grippers happens on forums only. I've never, I repeat - I have never seen someone doing discussion about drifters/grippers differencies in LFS. More to that, I have never seen a single "gripper" looking down at me, because I also drift a lot in LFS. In LFS we are all drivers(drivers and wreckers(on s2 too ! ) maybe ), on forums we are grippers and drifters, so it seems at least. . .
#46 - SamH
Quote from Shotglass :ive yet to see a single drifter drift (intentionally) on a race server

If I could say the same, I'd not be saying anything. I was not a happy bunny.
Quote from SamH :If I could say the same, I'd not be saying anything. I was not a happy bunny.

well i have to admit that i havent been active on any road car servers since s2 came out so that might be the cause ... but i also doubt that any of the good respectable drifters ive met so far since i joined rtdc would ruin a race by drifting
I see wannabe drifters on race servers all the time and kindly ask them to stay out of our way when we are racing around. Simple, I don't mind drifting now, since i've actually been able to control a RWD car it becomes quite fun, I suppose i'm a big rally fan so some people would totally disagree.

Anyhoo, I thought that Clownpaints post is the most relevant of the thread, don't you think?
omg see wat happens, someone says WTF DRIFT
and u all think your drift masters posting wtf u know, even that little chuby kid with the goldy-locks, wtf could he possibly, know any STFU cause ur all NOOBS, or at least make ur selfs look like them!

omg immature
#50 - SamH
Quote from lrdbsi :omg see wat happens, someone says WTF DRIFT
and u all think your drift masters posting wtf u know, even that little chuby kid with the goldy-locks, wtf could he possibly, know any STFU cause ur all NOOBS, or at least make ur selfs look like them!

omg immature

Where's the emoticon for a smug, told-you-so type of face?

Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG