The online racing simulator
Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
Drifting?
I guess this is going to be the dumbest noob question of all time, but here goes...

WTF IS DRIFTING!?

I see all these lame servers with "Drift" in the name and have learned that no one in these servers race.
OK, it's boring to just turn practice laps on a multi player server but to each his own.

So the other day I joined one of these "Drift" servers just to run a few laps on Blackwood and went about my business, racing a few laps... tweaking my setup... etc.
Then someone messages me that "This is a DRIFT server" illepall

What exactly is a Drift server and what exactly are drivers expected to do there?
Drifty is a street thing imported to the US from Japan. drift is when the car slides through a turn on a certain angle like here...

I think there's no need to call things lame, when you have no idea about them.
Quote from kamkorPL :I think there's no need to call things lame, when you have no idea about them.

Well now that I have been enlightened by a kind LFS'er (Thank you Rappa Z) I can say without question that DRIFTING IS LAME!

You guys just join a server and slide your cars sideways through turns endlessly? Never racing just sliding into and out of turns over and over? illepall

That sounds like buying Battlefield 2 and designating your server to practice dance moves. "Hey! NO shooting allowed!"
#6 - Tooby
Quote from Jethro! :Well now that I have been enlightened by a kind LFS'er (Thank you Rappa Z) I can say without question that DRIFTING IS LAME!

You guys just join a server and slide your cars sideways through turns endlessly? Never racing just sliding into and out of turns over and over? illepall

That sounds like buying Battlefield 2 and designating your server to practice dance moves. "Hey! NO shooting allowed!"

What is the point of looking down on people that likes to drift? Let them do what they like. You can always join a race server and meet racers there.
dont you love it when people let you know just how ignorant they are . thx for sharing jethro.

drifting well requires alot of skill. just like winning a race against great opponents takes skill. just one is more subjectivly judged than the other.
#8 - filur
Quote from Theafro :Driving is driving, i don't really care if you race or drift, any good driver has my full respect, but there's more to being a good driver than simply being very fast or incredibly sideways, and as long as you have that you have my respect.

Best post i've read on the subject.
Quote from Gabkicks :dont you love it when people let you know just how ignorant they are . thx for sharing jethro.

I have been exposed! I hope my wife doesn't leave me when she learns of my Live for speed Drifting ignorance!

I don't care if you guys want to drift, race backwards or use LFS as a drive in movie simulator.

I just think it's rediculous to jump on someone for driving around the track in a normal fashion, especially when I don't interfere with your "drifting" in any way.
Rally drivers wouldn't get anywhere without dirfting skills, pre-wing F1 drivers used drift a lot (not the showy mega-sideways stuff, proper four-wheel drift) and most pro drivers would say that being able to drift is a useful skill - in case you accidentally get the car sideways and need to correct. While I don't get off on showy drifting and never enter drift servers (I'm a dedicated gripper) I do appreciate the skill involved and don't consider it lame. Although I don't consider it sport - it's closer to figure-skating imho

tbh though, I found this pretty funny:
Quote :That sounds like buying Battlefield 2 and designating your server to practice dance moves.

Quote from Jethro! :I just think it's rediculous to jump on someone for driving around the track in a normal fashion, especially when I don't interfere with your "drifting" in any way.

And I'm sure if a person went in a race server and drifted you wouldn't yell at him, right?

Stop flaming other forms of motorsports, it's absolutely retarded. Come on now people.

P.S. God only knows how many times drifting experience has saved me, and many others during races. It helps alot, lets you understand your car to the fullest extend in terms of control. But I'm sure that you know that already, since you would NEVER make fun of something that you have absolutely no idea about, RIGHT?
Quote from Hankstar :Rally drivers wouldn't get anywhere without dirfting skills

exactly.. thats why former rally driver Rhys Millen is #1
Quote from Jethro! :Well now that I have been enlightened by a kind LFS'er (Thank you Rappa Z) I can say without question that DRIFTING IS LAME!

try it, you will love it..
its addictive AND it helps alot in developing your countersteering skills.
Okay, woah, woah, WOAH! If you say drifting is pointless, I've gotta say that you're wrong my friend. On the track in real life, it's saved my life several times, especially one day when I got to drive the Nürgurgring. I went a bit airborn and almost lost control. If I had, I would have been dead, but thankfully, I was able to keep my car on course through the corner, even though I was facing the inside of the corner at about a 70 degree angle. In a Porsche, that's not that easy of a thing to do, and requires skill. Now, In LFS, it's saved me countless times as well, from arrogant people that tap your inside corner and try to make it look like an accident. I've been able to drift thorugh and save my car from loosing control, keeping me in the race. Later, the guy has cut accros me too close in a corner, and clipped me, spinning around, due to a lack of control. When he asked me how I could control my car so well when the back end came loose, I told him that I used to drift a lot, and still like to every once and a while to keep the skill up. Not only that, but having good car control like that, looks absolutely sexy.
#15 - SamH
Quote from Jethro! :That sounds like buying Battlefield 2 and designating your server to practice dance moves. "Hey! NO shooting allowed!"

It's not our fault that TeamCCUK members are dyslexic. We misread the box when we installed what we thought was Balletfield2 on the server. Anyone doing line dancing is kicked, though, I swear!
yes drifting is a bit of fun rally drivers do use it because of the often slippery road surfaces and their 4wd cars, helps them to be facing in the right direction on exit so they can put the power down.

on tarmac however, people can argue that you get quicker times drifting certain tracks but i've never seen an example of this. grip racing will always lead to quicker lap times, drifting is more about putting on a bit of a show and having some fun.

i'd advise you keep out of the demo drift servers though, i went back there a few times and its quite scary how they treat people they dont know doesn't give drifters a good name at all
Quote from Jethro! :I don't care if you guys want to ... use LFS as a drive in movie simulator.

Now how would we go about doing that?
edit the textures of one of the billboards and make it into a really really long animated GIF?
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :yes drifting is a bit of fun rally drivers do use it because of the often slippery road surfaces and their 4wd cars, helps them to be facing in the right direction on exit so they can put the power down.

on tarmac however, people can argue that you get quicker times drifting certain tracks but i've never seen an example of this. grip racing will always lead to quicker lap times, drifting is more about putting on a bit of a show and having some fun.

i'd advise you keep out of the demo drift servers though, i went back there a few times and its quite scary how they treat people they dont know doesn't give drifters a good name at all

yes yes ur are very right but
initialy drift was not for show or fun, it was wat happened it u powerovered or oversteered into a corner, they used this and throttle control combined with correct amounts of counter - steer to get around a corner faster, but yes aindy car wil go faster round a track with traction, but in some cars on some tracks, drift is needed to push the time-beating line. this is been proven
Quote from lrdbsi :but in some cars on some tracks, drift is needed to push the time-beating line. this is been proven

proven? where? when? this is exactly what im talking about! people say it's been proven but never are there results or links to comparison of what a car can do gripping and drifting times around a tarmac circuit

in all forms of racing (including F1) there are always very very small amounts of sliding when they corner on the limit but as its so small you dont even see it on tv.

if you can show me info on a proper drift lap and a proper grip lap on a circuit using the same car for both... but until then, nothings proven at all "some cars on some tracks" isnt really helpful
#21 - OPK
Quote from SamH :It's not our fault that TeamCCUK members are dyslexic. We misread the box when we installed what we thought was Balletfield2 on the server. Anyone doing line dancing is kicked, though, I swear!

ROFL
Hahahaha, best post this day
wow.. didnt know that in LFS with S2 lincense also such an arrogant.

where is he btw?

I think he learnt his lesson.
I must admit I dont really understand it, counter steering and power sliding are part of racing and not the race itself, but then again to each their own. I dont go down to the town pool and shout at the syncronised swimming team because I want to do a few laps.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :
if you can show me info on a proper drift lap and a proper grip lap on a circuit using the same car for both... but until then, nothings proven at all "some cars on some tracks" isnt really helpful

Have you seen the Best Motoring Drift Bible DVD? Keiichi Tsuchiya (drift king) demonstrates exactly that with a drift s14 silvia. To me it looks like he can keep up with the ghost fine using the speed drift technique.

Drifting?
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG