The online racing simulator
The Flat Earth Society
(160 posts, started )
Rofl!
I laughed my tits off when reading ther faq part of forum, specially about the conspiracy theory, great stuff!
the great thing about it is that actually no one ever truly believed the Earth was flat before that bloke sailed round the world - people the world over knew it to be round, but one influential author publised a book in which he made a passing resemblance to a 'flat earth' and people later on started to believe it....bloody hilarious
To further the above point even the Babylonians believed the Earth was round iirc.
believing something that happens to be correct is one thing. knowing that it is correct, is another... eratosthenes calculated first the circumference of the earth and with good accuracy. which indicates he had knowledge of the matter, not just a belief. dunno i hope i am not misunderstandededed
Aaaactually - Ye Aulde Mesopotamianne Belyef had it that the Earth was a disc floating around. The neat contradiction was that it was floating in sea.

Philosophers and other busy minds took up the subject pretty recently (a few centuries before the rabbi was nailed to the cross) and held on to it as an excuse for symposiums for a long while. I suspect it was the subject they fell back on whenever they had nothing else to talk about and were confronted with the possibility of actually doing a day's work. Which might also explain the bile some of them had for Eratosthenes when he went ahead and spoiled it for them.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :... Look at a map, then go to the stereotype that Americans thins America is the only country in the world, only in this case Florida is the only country in the world.

and neither do you

just take a map of florida squint your eyes and imagine youve just entered puber... hang on that last bit is redundant in your case
Quote from xaotik :Aaaactually - Ye Aulde Mesopotamianne Belyef had it that the Earth was a disc floating around. The neat contradiction was that it was floating in sea.

Philosophers and other busy minds took up the subject pretty recently (a few centuries before the rabbi was nailed to the cross) and held on to it as an excuse for symposiums for a long while. I suspect it was the subject they fell back on whenever they had nothing else to talk about and were confronted with the possibility of actually doing a day's work. Which might also explain the bile some of them had for Eratosthenes when he went ahead and spoiled it for them.

From Stephen Hawking's 1988 book A Brief History of Time

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

I love that idea, one turtle on another turtle on another, infinitely, no further explanation or investigation required
they say what you don't know can't hurt you... what hurts is what you thought you knew but find out is wrong. it doesn't matter who you are. it always hurts. that is why einstein... HELL! even Bohr himself... didn't want to admit the 'reality' of quantum theory...
Haha, laughed. Well, they could've written better some parts of the FAQ, like "the sun sinks in the big ocean".
Quote from detail :Haha, laughed. Well, they could've written better some parts of the FAQ, like "the sun sinks in the big ocean".

Hehe, take a look on the forum / posts, thinks I readed one theory about that aswell I love the site, a lot of fun screwed-up things to read about.
Personally I like the idea about having a world tree better, a huuuge tree that is plantet on the middle of the earth. It's in mythology (norøn mytologi) .

The Flat Earth Society
(160 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG