The online racing simulator
The Flat Earth Society
(160 posts, started )
I guess the people who built this made a big joke. (in the FAQ they refer to pratchet) and I find it pretty fun.

Some participant play the game and some uber moron just bought it and started to defend the idea with their life!

Cosmos - Eratosthenes calculates Earth's circumference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHEqBLG650

If any of you already registered there are bored enough to bother.

Edit: Never mind, they got it already. Why do i continue reading...
Whoa... plenty of people here got trolled big-time by that site
Yeah, I even if it started as something serious, it now seems to be a place where the kind of people who enjoy trying to find holes in an argument can just have fun trying.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Yeah, I even if it started as something serious, it now seems to be a place where the kind of people who enjoy trying to find holes in an argument can just have fun trying.

I got bored after three or four posts. Not worth trying to argue with idiots of that calibre.
The world IS flat... it just looks round from space.
Quote from Racer Y :The world IS flat... it just looks round from space.

The world IS round, it just looks flat because your FOV setting is wrong.
Quote from JJ72 :The world IS round, it just looks flat because your FOV setting is wrong.

Yeah, but if I change my FOV, my framerate goes waay down. I might have an outdated card.
pfrt, everyone knows the earth is round, just like a pancake!
Quote :James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a discussion website theflatearthsociety.org, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter."

The news just got trolled.
please someone send those pilgrims tools and enough material to build a huge wall around their "flat earth"...and cut all wires too while at it!!:hide:
Quote from Flat Earth Society :
Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

Lulz! Four elephants, and a turtle?
Standard Terry Pratchett version.
I just had a quick skim through the FAQ there, and some of them are quite funny.

Potential controversial issue for anyone who wants to take it up:

They say the Earth is thick enough to have a bed of molten lava, which helps explain volcanos, right? Presumably were such a thing to happen and the underside of the planet is made up of rock, it's entirely possible to have volcanos on that side as well.

But wouldn't the upward acceleration of their system mean that all molten rock would simply pour out of any existing open hole until there was nothing left in the middle?

The only two arguments would be that there's a new supply of molten rock from somewhere (which would be topside rock collapsing downward meaning eventually it'd all "hourglass" out the bottom, or that we'll eventually run out and the planet will be hollow.
If they say that then ask them to calculate the rough volume of the planet and calculate how quickly molten lava would flow out of it. I bet it wouldn't be 4.5 billion years' worth
i think that that what these guys are trying to say its ive never seen earth from space myself so i cant be sure

why should i trust nasa? there always exists the posibility of a conspiracy
Quote from lerts :i think that that what these guys are trying to say its ive never seen earth from space myself so i cant be sure

why should i trust nasa? there always exists the posibility of a conspiracy

Yay for a lerts post I can understand!

Yes there's always the chance it's been a conspiracy, but it seems fairly unlikely. You can tell that the moon is round by looking at it, and that the part you see changes day to day. That means it has to be nearly spherical. I have no telescope but I understand the same goes for other planets we can see too.
It seems unlikely that it'd apply to all of those but not to our own.
How does FES explain what the space tourists see, or would Richard Branson and the how ever many people who have pre-booked a seat be in on it too?
But a pilot can (and I'm sure has) keep the exact same heading and go around the earth, finishing up where they started. They say that the pilot just goes around in circles, but by using the same heading, that's impossible

Also, a flat earth doesn't make sense when you consider the poles. By walking around the north pole (if it was a physical pole in the ground, for argument's sake), you can travel "around" the earth in a matter of seconds. Yet it takes several days to fly around the earth on the equator. Therefore, the earth is at least a hemisphere

I'm not going to bother posting there, as even if someone had hard evidence that the earth is indeed spherical, they'd just get something like "STFU! Forum charter FTW" as happens with anybody who tries to show them the error of their ways
I reached the conclusion that the FES was set up as a joke or con, and somehow snared some gullible souls who apparently now defend it to the death, unless every one of those believers was there at the beginning and is "in on it". Hell a lot of them could all be the same person for all I know, that wouldn't be so hard to implement if you had enough time on your hands.

Posting there seems completely useless. The key with these things is to just ignore them.
I'd love to know one reason for worldwide governments to cover up the fact the earth is flat.

It must be t3h ALIENS!
Phase 3 is profit.
Quote from Rappa Z :I'd love to know one reason for worldwide governments to cover up the fact the earth is flat.

It must be t3h ALIENS!

for example that we are actually 10 dimensional being entrapped since summerian times by an enchantenment by the demiurge that from 10d we can just percieve clearly 2 dimensions and hardly 3rd dimension(depth) and almost no perception of 4th, time

we lost our depth perception or 3rd dimension perception, simpsons parodied how hommer took a close by fly by a far away plane

if we recovered depth perception then we would have half perception of time and we could see the future and start achieving more dimensions perception

and the governement nor the demiurge want that, they want us dumb and sheep like in a 2 dimensional world, actually when a person goes away he just makes smaller

besides dimensions are not only linear they are rotatory angles as well, when you rotate you are moving on a brand new dimension

2 linear dimension plus 1 rotatory dimensions appears as 3d as comic books show

the government to the service of the demiurge want to spread the lie we are 3d while trully we are 10d imprisoned in 2d that appear like 3d

thats why the hide earth its flat, cause it would prove we are 2d and the conspiracy
My perception of depth and time is okay thanks. Maybe you need glasses and a watch?
I haz proof it iz round.

The Flat Earth Society
(160 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG