The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
It seems to me that you're taking the corners too early..
I watched some faster laps but there's just no way I can brake that late where car is constantly loose under braking. Even on Greger's replay it looks as if he's driving on a streak of good luck.
I don't have the track yet, so I can't give much sensible advice Crommi, but it is a very long lap, with a lot of 'straights' and fast-corners, so a lot of time can probably be won on your corner exits. 8 seconds is a lot though, I wonder what a really hardcore lap would look like

Meanwhile, I'm trying like a madman to break into the 1.48's with the rookie solstice, and I know that I can get a good 1.48.5 with my current technique quite easily... but the last 3 corners are different every single lap for me, I just can't find any consistency in them whatsoever. Sometimes I have a blistering lap and then I just seem to stall in the last corner - the car just won't turn at all. The corner after the cork-screw, I either go narrow and have a mile to my right unused on my exit, or I slide wide and have to do some insane stunt-pilot sh*t to keep the rear wheels from losing traction coming over the kerbs and into the sand. I swear I've only done this corner right about 3 times, and each of those were in a horrible lap otherwise.

Then there's the fact that even though I've driven a 1.49.0xx (which was falsely marked as having an incident when my wheels brushed the corkscrew in a way the game felt was unfair) my consistent laps are nowhere near that time - I seem only be able to do ~1.51.5 in a consistent race. Now, I know I shouldn't cry about that because plenty of people don't drive so fast, but it's just so far off potential I feel like the track just has a hex on me I can't break.

Bleh. Going to do my third race tonight, last time I was fielded with at least 20 people that could drive 1.48's solid...

Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but it does seems as if noone has qualified anywhere near their own potential :\

/rant

Nothing to see here folks!
Don't worry man I have exactly the same problem. My fastest lap thus far is 1:49.017. The left turn after the corkscrew I'm definitely really inconsistent with my line. When I hit it right and am basically full throttle it's damn scary and I'm afraid of having too much speed and spinning out (especially if my right tires hit that curb on the right).

But I also have problems with consistency through turns 3 and 5. I basically drift around T3 and T5 every lap. I simply don't feel like I'm taking those turns correctly. But for me, right now, getting the car sideways is what's working for me and letting me run low 1:49's - at least last week anyway...
Quote from Crommi :I watched some faster laps but there's just no way I can brake that late where car is constantly loose under braking. Even on Greger's replay it looks as if he's driving on a streak of good luck.

I read somewhere that because of the netcode on iracing the gears and braking points are completely wrong. Also the replay uses a different gear ratio or something like that which means that the replays atm are useless to learn from except for the lines. Can't find the post now....
So I decided that "starting from 6th sucks, so I better qualify faster!" - I take a second off my qualify time, and about 64 people sign up for the race, and sure enough I'm placed in the grid of hell with everyone on the grid having a qualify-time of 1.49.x or lower... I qualified 6th again

The strength of the field sure showed during the first two laps though, everything was silky smooth through the first few corners, and the first 5-6 drivers, including me, were literally miliseconds behind eachother in a disciplined train. We broke off a bit from the second part of the grid over the next few laps, and I had some very neat overtakes for 5th and 4th position (two in one turn baby!) with the two guys up front... eventually one of them spun out and had to cease the fight with the two of us, and I was thus fighting for 4th place with the remaining guy.

He managed to pull away from me a little, but spun out in T1, after which I took 4th place and managed to stay ahead for a good couple of laps (well, 2 apparantly but it felt like ages during the race ;D) until I slipped up slightly and he managed to get past before the Corkscrew again. We were both actually a good bit faster than the guy in 3rd, but only my direct opponent managed to pass him in the last corner - had the race been one or two laps longer I would've taken him as well

Exciting day on the whole! 3x a field of 2k+, and finishing 3rd, 5th and 5th with a new PB for Time Trial, Qualify and Race all at once :>
Quote from jasonmatthews :I read somewhere that because of the netcode on iracing the gears and braking points are completely wrong. Also the replay uses a different gear ratio or something like that which means that the replays atm are useless to learn from except for the lines. Can't find the post now....

I read that also. It's a fantastic sim, but the game as a whole still feels very incomplete. LFS even in its S2 form is much more polished.
Did I mention that I hate LS? Well, I do. I wish I had some sort of useful advice for you guys, but I'm suffering from the exact same problems you are - only I'm slower.

My fastest lap is not even below 1:50 (1:50.1, but offline with no fear of screwing up). In races I'm doing relatively consistent low 1:51's (as long as I don't zone out for whatever reason), usually with one lonely 1:50.8 thrown in. But my line is different each lap. T4 is just about the only turn I can take with some sort of consistency. T9 (Rainey Curve after the cork screw) is also my personal nightmare. I've resorted to lifting the throttle right before the lowest part and than jabbing the brake under turning till the nose of the car is somewhat pointed towards the apex. Then I hit the throttle. That way I'm usually giving away half a mile of tarmac on the exit, but at least I'm not messing up. That turn alone probably costs me half a second, I reckon. I hate LS.

On the up-side, I just had an easy race in a field that was supposedly rated at 1.627 points. Probably mostly new drivers who just started out and thus still had their irating of 1.600 points (although the SR's tell a different story, at least in parts). I cruised to an easy second place, collected 91 points and am now on position 42 for the series. I think I won't race LS anymore this week. It can only get worse.

@jertje: your irating must be quite high if you're getting 2000+ fields. I only get that in Advanced races, where I'm miles off the pace.
Marco van Dongen (iracing name)
So are all you guys concentrating on the Circuit racing...I've been racing the ovals, mainly due to it's easy on the fps, plus I really enjoy it. I haven't raced a circuit race for a couple of weeks now.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :So are all you guys concentrating on the Circuit racing...I've been racing the ovals, mainly due to it's easy on the fps, plus I really enjoy it. I haven't raced a circuit race for a couple of weeks now.

Haven't tried oval yet, maybe I should give it a go, although found it very boring on LFS.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Haven't tried oval yet, maybe I should give it a go, although found it very boring on LFS.

The legends are a fun car.....I hope that at one stage they would consider using them for circuit racing.
I don't know about oval racing... I haven't tried it yet I must admit (and neither have I done more than 10 laps in LFS) but it all seems so confining to me, so frustrating. I'm sure the racing itself can be exciting, but mastering the track for me is perhaps 75% of the fun, and I don't see getting that last tenth of a second on an oval as much of a goal. I'll be sure to give it a go at some point though, because the racing I've seen so far is of a really high level, and so perhaps ovals won't be as bad as I imagine them to be
I've tried some oval racing, but the three races I had pretty much ruined it for me. The first one I had to drop out after the pace lap, because my pc was acting up (got random black screens).

Second one I failed to avoid someone spinning in front of me on lap two. I reset, had 36 boring laps afterwards and finished two laps down in 9th position.

Third one I was taken out on lap 1, but could keep going. On lap 5 I proceeded to hit the wall when I tried to avoid someone spinning in front of me. I kept going but my sespension seemed a little knackered. On lap 7 I turned in on someone who had the low line. I had to reset and drove 30 boring laps to finish 3 laps down in 10th.

Oval is not for me, I guess.
Just took nearly 2 seconds off my pb in one qualy session on rookie solstice at laguna - 1.49.64 now Man this game feels f'ing awesome when you get the hang of it
I got my first win in Iracing....helped by an incident, but that isn't the point. I have never tried so hard to gain an extra .01 of a second to get competitve...I might be hooked.....

This is Scott, signing off from life.
Congrats I'm close but keep getting hit at the start and having to reset, then fighting the rest of the race to catch up.. Will get there soon, just gotta learn this ain't LFS
true Turkey. Just remember to qualify first then you have that time for all races for the week
Anyone else in the 1am race @ laguna seca? That was pretty intense. I was grouped with some pretty good drivers - avg 2203. Started 10th and moved up to 6th by lap 3 right behind TJ Majors who had the highest iRating in the field. I was charging him pretty hard with a few pass attempts through 4 and 5. Finally T6 I had my nose in but lifted and let him take it and I hit that damn bump right at the apex which sent me into a spin coming to a stop on the inside of the track - amazingly 0 incident points. I was passed by several cars and went back to 9th place. I moved up to 6th place again 3 laps later and then spun again in T6! argh! I hate that turn. After that it was over for me. My G25 motors started burning real bad and my speakers started emitting a high pitched sound in 5.1 surround sound that nearly made me deaf. Turning down the volume didnt affect it nor did turning them off and on so I had to drive the rest of the race without sound.. ugh. What a race though. My days of going off track and still getting top 5's are coming to an end!
Are all of you guys using wheels? I would be interested to hear if someone has managed to be competitive with a gamepad or any other type of control other than a wheel.
g25 here

I couldn't imagine using anything else other than a wheel

especially with how careful you have to be with the brakes, and blip the downshifts and such
Could you use a mouse? If so, I'd be really tempted to test iRacing for a month (I pretty much assumed that there was no mouse support). Atm school is dictating that my next big tech purchase will be a camera, wheel will have to wait awhile yet.

And yeah, what about gamepads?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Could you use a mouse?

I hope so, that means we could send all cruisers over to iRacing.. :shhh:
Quote from Electrik Kar :Could you use a mouse? If so, I'd be really tempted to test iRacing for a month (I pretty much assumed that there was no mouse support). Atm school is dictating that my next big tech purchase will be a camera, wheel will have to wait awhile yet.

And yeah, what about gamepads?

To be honest, I wouldn't try it.
You cannot make special setups for mouse and keyboard users and there's no options for digital steering adjustments. In LFS you can for an example set brakes so precisely for each track that it doesn't lockup, allowing much easier control for mouse and keyboard users. In iRacing you really have to be precise with your pedals because the only thing you can change is brake balance and even that is not available for all cars. Another problem would be bumps, especially those in middle of high-speed corners like LRP last corner; one wrong move and you've just won trip to the tirebarriers.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Are all of you guys using wheels? I would be interested to hear if someone has managed to be competitive with a gamepad or any other type of control other than a wheel.

iRacing is only compatible with a wheel and is forced cockpit view.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG