The online racing simulator
Why do people buy rFactor?
(211 posts, started )

Poll : Why do people buy rFactor?

Plain and pure stupidity
Car simulations
Eye candy
they buy rFactor because they haven't found the spirits in their hearts
I got it almost solely because it has tracks that are near me (Mondello and Rosegreen), and because of the group b rally pack. RS2000 on 20kms of Corsica pwns all

They way I see it, it's around the same price as LFS (€30), but you have almost unlimited tracks and cars. Which more than makes up for the slightly less amazing physics.

I'll still love LFS, as my intro to sim racing. But now I can drive real life cars, on real life tracks, as much as I like
why i bought rfactor? because i have the money and i liked to test it.

why i still race rfactor and at this point prefer it over lfs? because i love to drive different cars on different tracks, where other racers have the same problems finding the right lines, just because there are so many great combos and you simply can't practice them like in lfs if you want to try them all. it's a thrill to learn new tracks, cars, and it's interesting to see who can adapt fast and who needs looooots of practice.

but the main reasons are 3 mods i just love to drive:

1. rallycross v2.1: realistic group b cars from the 80s on real rallycross tracks. a blast to drive and even better if you have seen (like me) each car in action those days. unfortunately, bad with real feel.

2. bmw e21 320: great car! made for great online races. with the right real feel config, pure car control. tbh, i would love to have this car in the historic gt mod, the would be perfect.

3. historic gt mod: mentioned in this thread a lot of times and due to the fact that the realfeel-developer helped building this mod definately the best mod ever for rfactor. check the manual. config the real feel and have goosebumps reving the best cars available in every sim. the porsches are so great.....every car is great i loved to drive every single one i tested....and they are so different from each other.

fact is, although rfactors development stopped, the content and the quality of the mods is improving every day. if you haven't tested rfactor for a while now, don't think it is the same sim, you had driven some months ago....and take your time to get the real feel right. that's the most important part of everything.

there are a lot of weaknesses in rfactor (mostly the online thingys) but it's almost impossible to get bored by it, if you are ok with the "feel" of the cars.
Quote from Fetzo :due to the fact that the realfeel-developer helped building this mod definately the best mod ever for rfactor.

Thanks, but I can't possibly take any credit for how well the mod turned out, I gave a little feedback and input early on but really not that much.

Niels on the other hand...
Quote from Fetzo :rallycross v2.1: realistic group b cars from the 80s on real rallycross tracks. a blast to drive and even better if you have seen (like me) each car in action those days. unfortunately, bad with real feel.

techade might correct me on this but from my understanding if real feel doesnt work with a mod its a clear indication that the suspension geometry bears no resemblance to reality and was coded by a group of platypuses with a sum total of 0 days engineering experience
Quote from Shotglass :techade might correct me on this but from my understanding if real feel doesnt work with a mod its a clear indication that the suspension geometry bears no resemblance to reality and was coded by a group of platypuses with a sum total of 0 days engineering experience

LOL yup, something like that.
Quote from Shotglass :techade might correct me on this but from my understanding if real feel doesnt work with a mod its a clear indication that the suspension geometry bears no resemblance to reality and was coded by a group of platypuses with a sum total of 0 days engineering experience

And the videos of that mod look like they're in fast forward, they grip like ground effect sportscars, not like the overhyped not too advanced group B cars. They probably heard the story of the Group B car running equal times to F1 of the time at Estoril, which is of course one of the greatest bull stories ever to be launced on the web!
yeah i should have paid more attention to my wording. i wanted to say "real" rallycross cars.

1 know the physics aren't perfect.
but...

-most vids from this mod are from early releases, with wrong specs and other errors

-those weren't ordinary group b cars, they where way faster than the original ones. e.g. there was never a twin turbo metro in rally

-as i said, i love it, because i know the cars and the drivers, they where going to 100 km/h in about 2.3 seconds. nostalgic value etc etc.

-rx cars aren't racing tyres used in rally, they had insane grip and don't last very long. a typical finale in rx is over after about 6 kilometres.
I don't know what it is exactly. However today I installed rFactor again, got the new popular mods (Corvette, Historic GT and Caterhams) and a few nice tracks. Pulled the MOMO out of the wardrobe (where its been for 6 months or so) and got everything set up. I've literally only just stopped playing, 8 hours on.

With these user-content based games people always bang on about how a large proportion of mods are bad, but similarly there are a large number of VERY good, entertaining mods out there.

LFS on the other hand, well, I havn't played online for god only knows how long, maybe 18 months? There's just nothing new to keep me playing. 6 months on and we've got some interior updates and more languages. Great. Try sorting the game out first, then look to increase your user base by adding languages.
I like rFactor because of variety. It has real-world tracks, and car mods that are pretty close to their real-life examples. I remember that the Euro F3 mod was particularly good, and one of the V8 Supercars mods was spot-on. It's been a while since I've played it though, so better mods might have come out.

As for physics, I don't know why people seem to dislike its physics. The only issue I can remember is the ridiculously difficult oversteer recovery.
Quote from samjh :As for physics, I don't know why people seem to dislike its physics. The only issue I can remember is the ridiculously difficult oversteer recovery.

actually its ridiculously easy... all you have to do is steer more which is easy because you dont have to first unwind all the lock and then apply opposite lock... which is also why everyone with half a brain whos ever sat in a car thinks 99% of rf mods are useless
Sorry to de-rail the subject a tad, but on rfactor, is it possible to set the wheel axis up properly (so visually it would map my G25 1:1, such as LFS)? Whether I am in an F1 car or general road car the wheel seems to have the same ammount of degrees. Even though its only visual it really annoys me

PS
Just spent 45 mins using Niels C6 on the 1979 Monaco track....ace, so much fun!
In the UserData\username\controller.ini file you set...

Steering Wheel Range="360" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel

to the degrees you have set your wheel in its drivers (360 degrees in the above case).
Quote from pb32000 : but similarly there are a large number of VERY good, entertaining mods out there.

That's simply not true. The amount of VERY good mods for rFactor can be counted on one hand, in fact you mentioned all 3 of them.

The majority of mods are absolutely rubbish.
I wouldn't say they're rubbish. They mightn't be 100% realistic, but the vast majority of the rFactor mods are damn fun. EG, I'm currently addicted to the group B and mini-cross mods. While they may not be modelled perfectly, they're still excellent fun

A lot of the mods are complete crap though, I will agree
lfs and rfactor aren't that comparable, because every "game" or better sim got its own positives and negatives... i like lfs for its more responsive handling, i like rfactor for its more moddable cars/tracks/community... but you can't compare that really either...
they are two different sims, i won't say rfactor isn't a sim, and lfs isn't a game... it's quite a tightrope walk...
rfactor is kind of fun with the historx mod, and his tracks are very well created... so the tracks can't conquer with the physics of an engine indeed. so first of all the track "modability" is really great in rfactor.. the handling and realism is not that goog as in lfs. but for the historx mod it's quite as good as GTL/GTR. and now DON'T SAY SIMBIN CAN'T MAKE REAL SIMS!
=/ having tried GTR2 I find it horrible compared to rFactor and LFS. The loss of FFB when understeering is simply horrible. You lose any kind of FFB you could ever wish for. I can't consider GTR2 a sim :S.

rFactor however is really good. It's more fun then LFS but less competitive imo. Driving the F1.08 car in nurbeugring (sorry for killing the name) in the 24h layout is great fun. Aswell as Niel's Corvette C6. Great mods which are lots of fun. It does feel a little weird with the force though but oh well. The main difference imo is the tire deformation. In LFS I can feel the car about to let go or on the limit. In rFactor it's more like you see it then you feels it in the force. It's weird and it just snaps randomly. However rFactor is loads of fun .
yes you're right lfs just brings the "feelings" to the immersion.. and also right, you know where the limit is. rfactor seems to randomly get spun off the cars... or even i don't know why... just if i did oversee something... no that's not it... in LFS in every lap i know what i did wrong, and that's what i think is reality. sry bad english :P but i KNOW you ppl will understand
Quote from migf1 :In the UserData\username\controller.ini file you set...

Steering Wheel Range="360" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel

to the degrees you have set your wheel in its drivers (360 degrees in the above case).

Cool thanks mate.

So is it worth buying GTL for this new mod? Looks damn fun.
Quote from spacedskunk :So is it worth buying GTL for this new mod? Looks damn fun.

Most definately. Has more feel to the cars than the original GTL and it's a blast to drive.

The next mod that I await to be released (may be waiting some time, but it looks like it will be worth it) is the Touring Car Legends mod.
Or you can rent it from your local video rental store just to install the mod
Quote from migf1 :Or you can rent it from your local video rental store just to install the mod

well, that wouldn't be that much cheaper and much harder to find

Why do people buy rFactor?
(211 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG