The online racing simulator
Granparents saying your a bad driver!
(44 posts, started )
Quote from Dac :instead i find a bunch of school kids insulting you for no reason.

Welcome to the internet.
Your grandad must have hit a weak spot of yours, if it bothers you that much that you seek approval of complete strangers on the internet... Do you have a bad conscience? Your reaction to other people's posts suggests so...
Quote from Dac :but again, not what this thread was asking.

Please Dac, your being a tad hippocritical, you have opened discussion on how your grandparents are bad drivers and kept that going, which did not answer your question but simply pleased you.

The best reply on this thread was angry_angel's, which seems to have gone by ignored. Read through it and you may get a better understanding of your grandparents opinion of your driving, rather than ranting about them being bad drivers themselves because it won't help you.
Old drivers have proved that they can drive by managing to stay alive long enough to BECOME an old driver!

OK..I am OLD...but I am a member of the IAM, got HGV, PSV, and a shit load of other driving qualifications...
If anybody (and I mean ANYBODY!) drives my car in what I consider to be an unsafe manner, I let them know.
Statement: You were going round a bend at 50 mph and hitting the apex...well done...what RACETRACK was that on?
Or maybe you have magic eyes that can see round a bend before you get to it...what happens if you hit the apex only to find that there is a twat coming the other way that has taken the bend a bit wide...or if the apex is on the left, what if there is a cyclist/pedestrian walking along the road?

Example..other day I'm driving home from work...window down, radio full blast, 50 mph (in a 50mph limit!) when I get overtaken on a blind approach to the summit of a hill by some toerag in a VXR doing about 80+...big deal...there was something coming over the top of the hill who had to swerve into the verge to avoid him, I had to brake HEAVILY to let him in...the c**t could quite easily have taken both of us out!
FYI..the road there can be taken at 100+..I know because I have done it myself (on my bike!) but its everything else that must be taken into account at the time...30 mph may be dangerous on exactly the same stretch of road that at times is capable of being driven at 100+
One thing that you could try, is to ask your grandparents to SHOW you how they want you to drive their car. They might appreciate your willingness to be respectful of how they want you to treat their car (and behave toward other drivers and road conditions, generally), and if you demonstrate to them that you are so respectful of their concerns, then that might convince them to trust you.
I say ban old people from driving
They usually cause more problems than teenagers in old (but still quite powerful) rustbuckets, wearing their baseball caps backwards.

just my 2 cents.
#32 - wien
The statistics disagree with you. At least here. Young drivers are by far most likely group to end up in an accident. They are usually also completely ignorant of that fact since they're all the second coming of Senna himself.
Quote from Dac :but again, not what this thread was asking.

No, you were asking for help with convincing your grandpa that you are a good driver. As you can see, not everybody here is immediately convinced that you are indeed a good driver. If you were expecting unquestioning support, then maybe you came to the wrong place.

The_angry_angel's reply was very useful, but I'll add my own:
Your grandpa will let you drive his car if your driving meets his standards of good driving. Not the standards of the government or of the racing school, but his standards. So far, you have not met them. You can either find out what they are and conform to them, or try to make him change his standards. The latter is unlikely to succeed, IMHO.

Quote :his cornering lines are way way off, in fact he doesnt even know what an apex is

If you drive on a public road at a speed where cornering lines and hitting apexes become important, then your are definitely going too fast.
wow people hold on there, i reccon most accidents arn't caused by the speed but by the stupidity of the driver who isn't capable of controlling it's vehicle and therefore causes an accident, like young ricers who are swinging from left to right to pass a car;
Quote from wien :The statistics disagree with you. At least here. Young drivers are by far most likely group to end up in an accident. They are usually also completely ignorant of that fact since they're all the second coming of Senna himself.

its prolly coz the old ppl drive crazy and the youngs have to avoid them with racing techniqe and so they got used to it,they do it all the time
But i would rly make a law that after certain age you would have to make a test,reflex,driving etc.. coz when i see a 90 year old they put him in the car from the wheelchair coz he cant even stand up,after that he is going to drive.dude thats scary.in fact before yesterday i was standing at the red light a car was behind me,and i just felt BANG,he bumped me,my head jumped backwards lol,i got out and asked him wtf was it,he couldnt answer, i was like dude just forget it,(no damage to the car) Thanks Lord up there!
I'm all for people having to take periodic tests, say every 20 years. As you get older, your reflexes become much slower, you develop terrible driving habits, etc. At some stage, it's bound to become dangerous
South Park, Series 7 Ep 10 Gray Dawn ..........

If it's their car, then their right, even when their wrong. Welcome to Life 101.

If you need to live with them then either drive at Gramps speed or get your own transport. Also, life isn't fair or resonable, you'll understand this as you get more experience.
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
Agreed, drunk drivers are dangerous, the only safe place to be is off the road...

:rolleyes:

You can't keep planning for "what ifs" that other people could do wrong. You can only make sure what you're doing is safe, and then hope for the best.

More to the topic, retests should be manadatory, and get closer together as you get older. If you're sensible, you should remove yourself from the road at a certain age, even if you think you're still driving alright. That way you set a good example and keep your dignity.
Quote from Bob Smith :
More to the topic, retests should be manadatory, and get closer together as you get older.

Cant disagree..if you cannot pass a test then you shouldn't be on the road.

Quote from Bob Smith : you should remove yourself from the road at a certain age, even if you think you're still driving alright.

Please define "A CERTAIN AGE"

Example, my 76yr old father still drives a 38ft Fleetwood RV, as well as a Kangoo that he drags around behind it for short runs etc... He is STILL a very good driver, and the only accident he has been involved in during the last TWENTY years was when a KID of 22 lost control of his Corsa on a roundabout and broadsided my Dads Fleetwood!

I know a guy (I work with him TBH) who recently got his award for THIRTY EIGHT YEARS driving without an accident for which he was responsible. This guy drives an AVERAGE of 1500 miles per week.

He is 64.

Older drivers are not necessarily BAD drivers, the problem is, stupid boy-racer kids that OD on reruns of Fast and teh Furious THINK that anybody who "dares" to CRAWL along at 30mph (in a 30mph limit!) instead of letting teh VTEC or teh Turbo'z cut in and do 70 should be shot.
Quote from wsinda :
If you drive on a public road at a speed where cornering lines and hitting apexes become important, then your are definitely going too fast.

lol apexes are important on the road for me cause i drive with a locker and i dont like to hear the tyres scrub allso i normaly drive around the corners ALOT slower then i could i normaly take 90deg bends at about 15/25 kph

but yes not ur car drive how he wants. as for u convincing them u can drive? im not sure u can
the last time my grandad drove me anywhere (about 2 mile trip) he reduced me to tears.

Old people are like racing drivers, its never their fault.

Young drivers are much the same, only they drive in the other lane on purpose in order to hit apexes...
Quote from Bladerunner :Please define "A CERTAIN AGE"

40. All downhill from there baby.

Seriously though, it's obvious that this "certain age" can vary a great deal between people, so there is no way good figure to use. I suppose it's up to the individual when they "feel too old for this sh*t".
The main thing that concerns me with the OP is the very mention of "apexes" when on a public highway, irrelevant of the speed or the car.

To be able to afford a 5 year-old car and the insurance at age 20 before even learning to drive? Why am I not shocked by the attitude.

But please, if you have to take yourself out, at least have the decency to do it using a tree rather than an oncoming vehicle at one of your amazing apexes.

Granparents saying your a bad driver!
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG