The online racing simulator
Granparents saying your a bad driver!
(44 posts, started )
#1 - Dac
right, i live with my grandparents (whilst at uni) and they have no clue about driving yet think im such a bad driver.

theyve just bought a MG TF and im obviously not allowed to drive it. i passed my test in 2005 and since then have driven much, much more powerfuller cars. including a mini cooper JCW and a toyota celica.

i managed to persuade grandad to let me have a little drive of it as i am insured as a named driver should i need to use it. i went round a corner at 50mph, literally the car would have gone round there at 90mph+ being MR. as soon as i went round with very good balance and the line was perfect he says "you deffinately not driving this again, youll kill yourself!".

now i mean wtf. his driving is literally appauling. he sits in the complete wrong position. his cornering lines are way way off, in fact he doesnt even know what an apex is! and whenever i try to explain driving techniques they just say "your just like your father used to be" (who crashed alot!).

my grandad has many point on his license for drink driving, speeding the works. now what can i do to show them im actually more than capable of driving their car than they are?
maybe its because its his car, and he doesnt want you driving like a racing driver on the roads?
Old people + driving license = fail. No offense to the old folk around here though.

The majority of old folk who own a driving license need to sit another test, which is what I thought they had to do at a certain age.

The scream the living shit out of their car in each gear and ride the clutch like no tomorrow yet think their car is perfectly fine after a few months of said actions continuously.

They think they're doing everything right when they're not, but they won't say you're right as you are of a 'younger' generation to them (don't know how old you are so can't really say).

Absolutely everything seems fine to them, no matter what they do. Just ignore the fact they think you're wrong or don't know what you're talking about. Old age = more experience? Bullshit. Let them think what they like.

Apologies for this post, I'm not exactly sober and it's taken me quite some time to get rid of spelling mistakes and stuff, so people can understand what I'm going on about.
At the end of the day it's your grandparent's car therefore their decision.

I very much doubt anyone here has seen yourself or your grandparents drive, so I doubt anyone can make an informed comment.

However, a few questions have occured in my head - 50mph around a corner, but capable of 90mph. What was the speed limit? If you were exceeding it your grand father is in his rights to complain assuming that he's the owner, given that any points will be assigned to him immediately and then altered later at request. This can have adverse affects.

Also bear in mind that as a driver you are prepared for how sharply you are going to drive, etc. and your passengers are not, therefore your reactions to it will be different from theirs.

Also bear in mind the age of your grand father. At this age people tend to have a different perspective on life and how to drive.

If you're looking to persuade him then my suggestion would be to respect his decision for the moment and then ask when you genuinely need to borrow the car. If he thinks you're going to borrow it willy-nilly then the likelihood is going to be much lower.

Also something to consider is perhaps he's trying to protect you from the same mistakes he's made himself.
Quote from Dac :i went round a corner at 50mph, literally the car would have gone round there at 90mph+ being MR

Just because a car is capable of doing something doesn't mean that you should do it. Drive responsibly, and stop whining.
#6 - Dac
im 20 btw. and i honestly dont want to borrow the car. after driving it i dont like it, it feels cheap and tacky. not to mention i have my own. its the fact that this has been going on for ages now, them thinking im wreckless and going to kill myself one day. when really im not like that at all.

the limit is 60 and i would have naturally taken the corner alot quicker but decided to slow right down as i thought he would complain. yet still he thought i was going to quickly.

i know i cant show yous for deffinate what i mean and how i and them drive, so i guess youll just have to take my word for it i guess.

Quote from wheel4hummer :Just because a car is capable of doing something doesn't mean that you should do it. Drive responsibly, and stop whining.

thats completely not what this thread is about. its about how i can prove to them that im not the driver they think i am!

Quote from beefyman666 :Old people + driving license = fail. No offense to the old folk around here though.

The majority of old folk who own a driving license need to sit another test, which is what I thought they had to do at a certain age.

The scream the living shit out of their car in each gear and ride the clutch like no tomorrow yet think their car is perfectly fine after a few months of said actions continuously.

They think they're doing everything right when they're not, but they won't say you're right as you are of a 'younger' generation to them (don't know how old you are so can't really say).

Absolutely everything seems fine to them, no matter what they do. Just ignore the fact they think you're wrong or don't know what you're talking about. Old age = more experience? Bullshit. Let them think what they like.

Apologies for this post, I'm not exactly sober and it's taken me quite some time to get rid of spelling mistakes and stuff, so people can understand what I'm going on about.

i agree with it all!

experience in doing the same thing over and over again doesnt make you a better driver.
Quote from Dac :i know i cant show yous for deffinate what i mean and how i and them drive

Then what was your point in making this thread?

Quote from Dac :so i guess youll just have to take my word for it i guess.

To be honest, no-one cares. Again, I don't see why you made this thread? You come to the forum, make a new thread, and then when people responded you started acting all whiny. If you don't care for other people's opinions then don't post on a public forum about random things that ultimately do not matter to anyone.
#8 - Dac
Quote from wheel4hummer :Then what was your point in making this thread?

To be honest, no-one cares. Again, I don't see why you made this thread? You come to the forum, make a new thread, and then when people responded you started acting all whiny. If you don't care for other people's opinions then don't post on a public forum about random things that ultimately do not matter to anyone.

why are you so argumentative? i just started the thread to get some ideas on how to change my grandparents opinion of my driving. then you tell me to stop whining and that i dont care what people say. well i dont care what you say if all your going to do is not read the thread and make silly posts.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Then what was your point in making this thread?

Stop being such a smart ass. He was just trying to create discussion, which is what a forum is for...is it not?
Quote from Dac :i agree with it all!

experience in doing the same thing over and over again doesnt make you a better driver.

Kudos for agreeing with a completely pissed post.

My Nan drive like a lunatic but she rides the clutch and thrashed the crap out of every gear, so you can see where i'm coming from.

And very often you'll see an old driver revvin' the bollocks off the car their driving, but going no where.

Like some have said, it's their car, they're word is final at the end of the day. You'd say the same thing if it was you're car and didn't like the way they were driving it.
#11 - Dac
Quote from beefyman666 :Kudos for agreeing with a completely pissed post.

My Nan drive like a lunatic but she rides the clutch and thrashed the crap out of every gear, so you can see where i'm coming from.

And very often you'll see an old driver revvin' the bollocks off the car their driving, but going no where.

lol that reminds me. on the way back from the dealers i was following in their new Rav4 (im allowed to drive a car that costs twice as much no bother!) and grandma was excited with her new toy. i could hear the engine revving and the car going nowhere on every roundabout. then coming to a junction she tried to put it into 4th (they both dont use block shifting) and i swear on my life i saw the reverse lights!
If she managed to put the car into reverse going at an appropriate speed for 4th, then she would have probably blown something up, and she's a world champion weight lifter...

Why do you want to prove to your grandparents that you can drive better than them? How petty do you have to be to prove you can beat your 70-year old Nan in a drag race? Jeez, go play NFS
#13 - Dac
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If she managed to put the car into reverse going at an appropriate speed for 4th, then she would have probably blown something up, and she's a world champion weight lifter...

Why do you want to prove to your grandparents that you can drive better than them? How petty do you have to be to prove you can beat your 70-year old Nan in a drag race? Jeez, go play NFS

i saw the reverse lights come on. im guessing the light mechanism connects before the actual gear engages - which makes sense.

again, thats not what i want. they are both 57 btw. all i want to do is prove to them that i am not wreckless and i am a safe driver. i know im better than them purely by the fact that what they do is atrocious.
Meh, if you want to prove you're a safe driver, then just drive what you consider to be safe, and what follows the rules of the road. If they still don't think you're a safe driver, so what? That's their opinion, and they're entitled to it
#15 - Dac
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Meh, if you want to prove you're a safe driver, then just drive what you consider to be safe, and what follows the rules of the road. If they still don't think you're a safe driver, so what? That's their opinion, and they're entitled to it

i guess your right. and i wish i could just ignore it but its hard. my mate suggested i take the IAM test. which i think is a ruddy good idea.
#16 - Jakg
Quote from racer hero :Stop being such a smart ass. He was just trying to create discussion, which is what a forum is for...is it not?

That's all W4H does anymore
Let them thin whatver they want. Just be a safe driver and they will die before you anyway.
Quote from Jakg :That's all W4H does anymore

And posting that makes you any better then me?
Quote from wheel4hummer :And posting that makes you any better then me?

Yes.
Smart ass questions comes with a smart ass answer. Have fun.
When you get old, your reflexes become slower. Maybe your grandad thinks you drive recklessly because at that speed, and with his reflexes, it would indeed be dangerous. And it's understandable if he can't imagine others reacting faster than him.
Quote from Dac :i went round a corner at 50mph, literally the car would have gone round there at 90mph+ being MR. as soon as i went round with very good balance and the line was perfect he says "you deffinately not driving this again, youll kill yourself!".

No one here has seen you drive, but your grandpa could be right, you know. Suppose there was a car standing still on the road, just around the corner. You'd have had no time to brake or swerve. The fact that the car can take the corner at a certain speed doesn't mean that it's always safe to do so.
Take the papa to a go-kart race and show him! lol
but anyway old people are always like that
#22 - wien
And young people are usually like you lot. It's often to your benefit to listen to folks that have been around the block a few times, shocking as it might seem to you at the moment.
#23 - Dac
Quote from wsinda :When you get old, your reflexes become slower. Maybe your grandad thinks you drive recklessly because at that speed, and with his reflexes, it would indeed be dangerous. And it's understandable if he can't imagine others reacting faster than him.
No one here has seen you drive, but your grandpa could be right, you know. Suppose there was a car standing still on the road, just around the corner. You'd have had no time to brake or swerve. The fact that the car can take the corner at a certain speed doesn't mean that it's always safe to do so.

again, yous are making assumptions. i dont drive fast. ive read the police drivers handbook cause i want to be in the police force. and it taught me to go at a speed where you can see to be clear and can stop in that distance and how to do it around corners. so what i used to do was imagine the worst case scenario and go at a speed where i could avoid it easily which resulted in me thinking of an overtaking car on my side of the road and i would just go way to slowly. now i just imagine a car broken down on the bend in the middle of the road and make sure i could stop as soon as it appears.

but again, not what this thread was asking.
Your grandad is right and you're an idiot.

That is all.
#25 - Dac
Quote from BullHorn :Your grandad is right and you're an idiot.

That is all.

this forum is really not what i thought it was like. i was expecting an enthusiasts websites with mature people. instead i find a bunch of school kids insulting you for no reason.

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG