The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Hyperactive :
Or is it just grinding for the first month to get rid of the damn underpowered turdwagon (sorry ), which is the biggest negative for me at the moment...

The turdwagon(s) are the most popular cars in LFS, no? Furthermore most people drive the FWD turdwagon.

I bet the Solstice might even be a little faster than the XRG.
This thread is huge and didn’t read all pages, but there are two points on Intrepid's post below that I couldn’t disagree more…

Quote :If iRacing is popular then sim racing as a 'whole' COULD be in BIG trouble.
(…)
So, while iRacing grows, the other sims may struggle. The main problem is iRacing's growth is dependent on the already existing sim community. That's where 99% of its sales are going to come from.

In my opinion if iRacing is successful, and I have no doubts it will be, Simracing won’t be in trouble at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. iRacing will start by gaining critical mass amongst simracers, but then will appeal to different markets and bring many new persons to our hobby, indirectly benefiting LFS. Of course, that is assuming LFS keeps developing, but as someone who’s around since version 0.1, I have big faith in Scavier. Scawen is a very smart man and I think he knows what needs to be done.

I agree that it’s inevitable that a portion of the most serious simracers jump from their current sims to iRacing, but simultaneously there will be an influx of new blood to the genre. As iRacing grows, showing its qualities and financial muscle, many more will be open to the idea of racing sims. Most of the younger persons don’t know, but in the early 90’s racing sims were big. Nowadays we have no airtime, but for instance F1GP was a hit; I remember magazines having previews, reviews, cover honours, and even TV shows showing it side by side with other top-sellers. There’s no real reason for our genre to be a niche.

Well, except one… profitability. And this is one of the things I’m more excited about. Hopefully iRacing will help change mentalities and make other developers sell their work at a more reasonable price. I said it many times before, and will keep doing so: LFS price is ridiculously low. Simracing stopped being attractive to the bigger developers because a sim can provide many hundreds of hours of entertainment, unlike most games, and that lead us to a swamp where the revenues were small.

It can be argued iRacing prices are high, but 8 euros per month is, what, 2 packs of cigarettes? A few beers? I look to my brother and he buys FIFA and Pro Evo every year, with a quite high price tag, and I sure drive more hours than he plays football. Paying for extra cars and tracks can be considered steep, and personally I’d prefer to pay a higher subscription than buying separate, but when I think it’s a one-time-payment, it’s reasonable. At least I won’t be paying for the same stadiums and players over and over, year after year. And well, I'm so slow I'm not even sure if I'd need to spend my 60 dollars bonus. lol

Quote : A noob to iRacing will soon get frustrated with a large learning curve and un-subscribe, though I doubt many will subscribe in the first place .

The service was designed to be noob friendly. While not simple to understand everything in a few hours, it’s easy to start. I’m actually very happy there’s no demo. We all know how the LFS demo is. Most persons trying it probably don’t have a great feeling about what we do. Demo’ing a service where the focus is on mutual respect and serious competition would be even more absurd. To try it for a few hours would only show the qualities (or lack of) of the sim, not of the service as a whole.

Regarding numbers, dunno what are iRacing expectations except their obsession with providing top quality in every field, but I’m happy the growth is programmed to be gradual. The last thing I want is to see wreckers ruining my experience. For that, only a very careful scrutiny of who is doing what works, and a typical launch would be a disaster. Hope LFS by S3 gets a stricter policy regarding that. Cruisers and drifters are bad enough already even when restricted to their servers, but wreckers deserve a very special place in Hell. I’d help carrying the wood to keep them warm.
Quote from Mattesa :The turdwagon(s) are the most popular cars in LFS, no? Furthermore most people drive the FWD turdwagon.

I bet the Solstice might even be a little faster than the XRG.

Only for all the demo-racers who haven't got anything else to choose...

So contentwise, iRacing is equivalent to the LfS Demo (supposedly with better physics), just that even the demo costs money and everything on top of that costs extra...
Quote from bbman :
So contentwise, iRacing is equivalent to the LfS Demo (supposedly with better physics)

Last time I checked, LFS demo didn't have Laguna Seca.
I won't be buying it. At least not for a year or two (or however long it takes for them to release a demo, or someone to hack an offline demo together for me to try for free).

I really don't see the fuss to be honest. I've yet to see or read anything that makes me want it - the good stuff is almost certainly over-hyped because it's new, and the bad stuff sounds terrible.
Quote from Ahriman4891 :Last time I checked, LFS demo didn't have Laguna Seca.

So? Did you fail to make a point or do you just write what goes through your head?
Quote from Monty :Iracing is definately going for serious sim racers but not high income. $156 US a year is peanuts for starters, many people would spend close to that just on a night out on the town. And after the basic suscription, for the price of a G25 you can buy all the content you will ever need for years. Just because the sim isnt dirt cheap like LFS or RF doesnt mean its expensive overall like your making out.

It is about 12 times the price (assuming you race a good sim for 3 years) to race with one car and four tracks (assuming you don't like turning left) compared with LFS which gives 18 cars, 7 tracks and freedom to race with who you want to when you want to in whatever kind of racing you want.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I myself know due to lack of skill it will take me forever to get to a level in which I need the extra contet, hell maybe I would have saved up enough Iracing dollars so that it would not cost me that much.

From what I've read, it's only the safety rating that determines advancement to the next license. When you got to the next license you'd be racing (safely) against other slow guys.
Quote from ajp71 :It is about 12 times the price (assuming you race a good sim for 3 years) to race with one car and four tracks (assuming you don't like turning left) compared with LFS which gives 18 cars, 7 tracks and freedom to race with who you want to when you want to in whatever kind of racing you want.

It can have 100 cars and tracks but it wont change the fact the graphics are 5 years old, sounds are crap and it doesnt have real content. I guess someone people like Mcdonalds and others like restaurants. Depends on what standard your after.
I prefer to Buy Burger from Burgerking.
You forgot the ""
Quote :I guess someone people like Mcdonalds and others like restaurants. Depends on what standard your after.

That's a pretty dodgy comparison, if you ask me. If anything, LFS is the reputable corner cafe where everyone knows you, the food is cheap and wholesome and the atmosphere is (usually) great. iRacing is the new place in town, where the food is apparently very good but the servings are seemingly too small for what you pay, and you have to book ahead but can't be guarunteed a decent seat. Possibly a good recommendation for the occasional fun night out when you want to indulge yourself, but too expensive to do every month.
Quote from bbman :So? Did you fail to make a point or do you just write what goes through your head?

The point you made about iRacing's content is bullshit. So was your "comeback", btw--neither sharp nor humorous. I hope this post is clearer than the previous one.
Quote from thisnameistaken :You're a christian and you swored! I'm telling mom!

(I considered lying and saying I only have one testicle to make you feel guilty but then realised this is the internet and a dozen others would jump in with photos of Adolf Hitler)

No, I just used a swear acronym!

Actually, you can't prove what the 'F' stood for anyway, so you'll have to accept it when I arbitrarily tell you it meant "fruit".

Heh it's more about attitudes than words anyway I think, afterall words communicate ideas and therefore the words themselves are somewhat moot; being rather a means to an end. IMO of course.

Quote from Shotglass :also youre ignoring that what you get for that money is the amazing opportunity to testdrive a solstice for 1 month...

Could be wrong, don't you get to use the single player test mode on other things? I thought you were only restricted to racing with what you "own", and that testing was not so. Could be wrong, don't care, I'll still be trying it out.

Quote from Shotglass :riiiight...
http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... =456675&d=1212999932

Wow, a car without a black void of an undercarriage... it's like an epiphany!
Quote from Ahriman4891 :The point you made about iRacing's content is bullshit. So was your "comeback", btw--neither sharp nor humorous. I hope this post is clearer than the previous one.

3 cars, one track against 2 cars and (really) two tracks... I can see where I bullshit everyone about the joys that are iRacing, yes...
Quote from bbman :Only for all the demo-racers who haven't got anything else to choose...

CTRA Race 1 does seem to be the most popular server of all time.
Anyway, I'm not disagreeing. I dislike iRacing's pricing scheme as well. It's the principle behind it all.
Quote from Danke :What you don't realize is that in real life, there's a Solstice-sized Burmese tiger trap at that very spot of the grass.

I love this thread :lovies3d:
(goes hiding before some mad guy from up north interprets my post and shows up at my door with an axe...)
Quote from Electrik Kar :That's a pretty dodgy comparison, if you ask me. If anything, LFS is the reputable corner cafe where everyone knows you, the food is cheap and wholesome and the atmosphere is (usually) great. iRacing is the new place in town, where the food is apparently very good but the servings are seemingly too small for what you pay, and you have to book ahead but can't be guarunteed a decent seat. Possibly a good recommendation for the occasional fun night out when you want to indulge yourself, but too expensive to do every month.

You forgot few things. Most of the time the LFS cafe is filled with drifters and cruisers, racers are almost a minority. Sometimes when the cafe is filled up with people, a tiny touch with other person will get you thrown out. The cafe environment is a bit dull and the chairs are mostly uncomfotable. Service is great but when's the last time you saw the chef?
Quote from Hyperactive :You forgot few things. Most of the time the LFS cafe is filled with drifters and cruisers, racers are almost a minority. Sometimes when the cafe is filled up with people, a tiny touch with other person will get you thrown out. The cafe environment is a bit dull and the chairs are mostly uncomfotable. Service is great but when's the last time you saw the chef?

And all but four of the cars in the parking lot of the LFS Cafe are imaginary. At the iracing cafe, for some reason, there are only Solstices. (or is that Solstii?)
www.iracing.com, intro and new site
---

Quote from Danke :And all but four of the cars in the parking lot of the LFS Cafe are imaginary. At the iracing cafe, for some reason, there are only Solstices. (or is that Solstii?)

The imaginery bit doesn't concern me the slightest. Heh, true about the solstices
---

Quote from DarrenMarsh :Yes, I think that would be possible. Probably less. It took me 4-5 days to get into the Skip Barber cars, but I can't remember how many sessions it was. Not too far off 15 I'd say.

What you can drive is determined by the "SR" safety rating which is based on corners per incident, which starts at 2.4.

Soo, is it possible to get into the skip barber car racing in 4-5 days or was that just the way it was in the beta?
---
Quote :The following minimum requirements are necessary to access the iRacing.com service, including the simulation software and member website.

System Requirements
Windows XP or Windows Vista
Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
1 GB system RAM
3Gb free hard disk space
Steering wheel and pedals required
Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Internet Browser Requirements
Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6, or newer
Javascript enabled
Cookies enabled
Flash Player

Internet Connection Speed
56K dial-up at a minimum, Broadband (DSL or Cable) highly recommended. Satellite broadband excluded.

So a dual-core processor is required?
Quote from Danke :And all but four of the cars in the parking lot of the LFS Cafe are imaginary. At the iracing cafe, for some reason, there are only Solstices. (or is that Solstii?)

You´re wrong... There's another car at the IRacing Cafe... It looks like an old car, but I'm not quite sure because it just keeps going round and round the cafe...
Quote from Hyperactive :www.iracing.com, intro and new site
---

The imaginery bit doesn't concern me the slightest. Heh, true about the solstices

Looks very slick and professional. Awesome.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG