The online racing simulator
iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
This thread really starts here, with Axus review of the game:

post #115

Every post before #115 could be deleted and this thread would be a lot better (maybe a new thread should have been started?). All prior posts could only talk about the pricing, the only "known" information about the game at the time. When I started this thread, I didn't realize how long it was going to take for real information about the game to be released.

So anyway, a link to a video review of iRacing by Inside Sim Racing. As expected, the "pros" are the physics, and the "cons" are the limited initial selection of cars and tracks. (I don't know if there are any announced cars or tracks that will be incorporated into iRacing). The subscription pricing and cost of cars and tracks is mentioned, without any negative comments, but it's clear that the total on the sheet of paper shown in the review several times adds up to quite a lot, so I call this a "subtle con".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbAC-PV3lZI&fmt=18

I question the timing of a high-end racing game. Looking at the top 100 selling "new games" from March 2007 to March 2008, the highest selling racing game was at #6, Need For Speed ProStreet, with 5.4 million units sold (it's on a lot of consoles in addition to PC). Nascar 08 (PS and XBOX) was #97, 490K units sold):

top 100 selling games.htm

I don't know how many units of racing sim oriented games were sold between March 2007 and March 2008, but it's probably not much. In the USA, NFS games sell for about $35 to $40 for the PC version, consoles even more, while the combined GTR2 / GTLegends sells for $20. Being in the USA, where interest in racing or racing games is small compared to other countries, maybe things just seem a bit more dismal here, but looking at the sales numbers, I don't think it's just the USA. The racing-sim community is a relatively small percentage of the gaming community in general, and the percentage of racing-sim players willing to shell out the money iRacig is currently asking is going to be much smaller still.
iRacing will be worth for me. Beacuse it hosts 1 track a week in one car class. I was always looking for something like this and now i finally got it.

The cars also drive superb. Grant it has no pitstops, bending tyres, spotter atm. But it still drives so great that I just couldnt pass on it. I was just able to play it in the last beta wave but I still think its the best out right now and the Netcode is something out of this world. It even beats rFactors hands down and the best of all. It has this incredible Nascar2003 feeling to it wich I was missing in any other game. Well LFS comes the closest here also and games like GTR1,2,rFactor are miles away from it.

I will risk the 1 year subscription and get this 60 iracing dollars worth of money with it. I mean its not really that much after all I spent more in the pub last week.
Are iRacing dollars the same as US dollars?
Quote from Sawyer : I mean its not really that much after all I spent more in the pub last week.

Stop lying. It was last night only.
I'm thinking of getting iracing, but I'd like to know a few things from the beta testers:

-Are there any driving aids? like throttle blip or cut
-Is there a system like lfs' outgauge in iracing, because I prefer making my own displays.
-How crowded is iracing atm? Will I be doing "time trials" on racing servers, or are they usually packed?
-What license do I need for the skip barber car? I just love that car

And lastly, when can I buy it? It's kinda shitty to see videos on utube and vimeo, and not being able to do the same

And a remark for the people who say it's too expensive; it's only 13 us dollars a month. And since dollars are worth as much as toilet paper I dont really see this as a problem.
I just have to drink 2 less wodka redbulls per month (4 euro's a pop here) and my accountant won't even notice a difference in my spendings
Quote from mikey_G :
-Are there any driving aids? like throttle blip or cut

Auto clutch and throttle blip are the only assistance available
Quote : -Is there a system like lfs' outgauge in iracing, because I prefer making my own displays.

No
Quote : -How crowded is iracing atm? Will I be doing "time trials" on racing servers, or are they usually packed?

Time trials are held on different servers from races. Because the races for a particular series are held only every 2 hours, this tends to group everyone to turn up at the same time. I would expect it to be busier than during the beta testing, there was plenty of opponents during evenings (UK time). Some of the series are staggered for different start times.
Quote : -What license do I need for the skip barber car? I just love that car

D licence, a safe decent driver should get there after 4 weeks
Quote :And lastly, when can I buy it? It's kinda shitty to see videos on utube and vimeo, and not being able to do the same

They're planning a progressive rollout to ensure decent service for those signed up. Sounds like it's by invitation from beta testers only for the first week, then probably those that registered interest, then public.
Quote from mikey_G :-How crowded is iracing atm? Will I be doing "time trials" on racing servers, or are they usually packed?

I found that before about 8pm UK time it was quite quiet, but got quite busy later on in the evening.
Sounds good, thanks for answering that guys
Certainly looking forward to try it! The physics look very comprehensive!

iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG