The online racing simulator
iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
If it be better then LFS, I hope devs pwn them out with new patch (new track and new GTR interiors would keep us tuned in for months), or final S2
I somehow doubt support for medieval south japanese is gonna pwn including real cars or tracks.
There are probably enough people out there who are willing to pay every month just to be able to play a game they already bought (comparing it to WOW). The hardcore simmer, as he has all the pricy hardware will probably buy it, but I really doubt that average Joe will do it for more than a year (unless the game is really mindblowing, but that has still to be proven). How many games have you even played for a whole year? (apart from you hardcore simmers)

I don't plan to buy it, simply because I don't have the money for it.
?
Quote from Electrik Kar :[url="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/130202.html"]

Hey look- brown (really does) = real! :biggrinfl

What do you mean by this, If im correct in what I think you mean, You are wrong in your assumptions.
Joke Joyce
I expect it to be really good and worth the money for many die hard simmers. They're doing at least one very important thing that no sim developer has done yet and I'm sure it will show..

I'll certainly be running it for awhile at least. Maybe longer
Quote from jtw62074 :They're doing at least one very important thing that no sim developer has done yet and I'm sure it will show..

which is?
worryingly it just might work... other companies have been doing it for years as long as its expensive enough to be considered exclusive it doesnt matter how tacky or rubbish a product is
Sure Maybe
I think there only doing so that "Hardcore" Gamers get that warm fuzzy feeling in there stomach when they say "Im paying $500 ever 3 years for this game, Im legit". And them more people well say "Dam I guess if it cost that much It must be good LoL

EDIT: Your Welcome, But This Isn't Opinion, I'm Just Always Right, Unless It's A One Way, Then Im Screwed
Thanks for that completely uninformed opinion.
The monthly fee might sound a bit steep (although with the current dollar it's only a fiver a month to me if I paid annually) but maybe deterring "casual" gamers would be a good thing in a racing sim. It might improve the general standards of driving online if nothing else.

Unfortunately it might also drive away a lot of their potential market, and result in empty servers except for one evening a week, a la netKar-Pro.
Quote from danowat :Obviously people can't say, due to the NDA

I don't have an NDA (I'm not a beta tester or involved in the slightest). Just something I was told by a little birdie. If they ever discuss it publically I'll come back and say what it was
No one has played it yet, and to be honest that kind of prices aren't really expensive for an USA , UK living/WORKING person. It's still a lot cheaper than maintaining your own racing car and attending circuit at weekends.

And because all cars and tracks are priced you would end up with a variety of cars I think as people wouldn't really pay for all of em if they mostly use one or two. So you would get nice VARIETY races rather than everyone driving same car because it's the most suitable/faster rather than because of personal taste.

As as far as the video showed timing seems to be reasonbly correct so the physics aren't grand tourismo. And I think it mentions that they used nescar code for the online thing and as starting point. Tones of developers take some code for starting point and then almost completelly change it.

Stop whining, wait for the game and see what other people are gonna say about it. It should be very nice.
Quote from Electric Eye :No one has played it yet, and to be honest that kind of prices aren't really expensive for an USA , UK living/WORKING person. It's still a lot cheaper than maintaining your own racing car and attending circuit at weekends.

And because all cars and tracks are priced you would end up with a variety of cars I think as people wouldn't really pay for all of em if they mostly use one or two. So you would get nice VARIETY races rather than everyone driving same car because it's the most suitable/faster rather than because of personal taste.

As as far as the video showed timing seems to be reasonbly correct so the physics aren't grand tourismo. And I think it mentions that they used nescar code for the online thing and as starting point. Tones of developers take some code for starting point and then almost completelly change it.

Stop whining, wait for the game and see what other people are gonna say about it. It should be very nice.

It has been played by non-betatesters And no, I'm not one of them
^_^ my fault then.

Are there some reviews by them or something? Could you link me if ya can. Thanks.
Quote from ajp71 :SRT have a preview.

SRT are now managed by a former editor-in-chief of ASS. Is there any point at all in listening to their opinion?
depends on whether you can stand the arse aroma... but on this occasion theres lots of info and little oppinion so its worth watching
Quote from thisnameistaken :SRT are now managed by a former editor-in-chief of ASS. Is there any point at all in listening to their opinion?

No but there is some info and videos in there.

What I've concluded from that:

-No skinning, you can just choose the colour.

-You'll pay $15-25 a track and $15 a car and will have to buy cars/tracks to reach a level to race the higher cars/tracks. No doubt if you want the Radical at Silverstone you've got to buy several cars and tracks to progress to that stage, I wouldn't be suprised if you have to spend $100 extra just to get to what you bought it to drive in the first place.

-Legend cars can't be driven on race circuits, they have a circuit racing championship for them in the UK and I would far rather drive them than the Pontiacs.

-From what they've said it sounds like the progression is going to take months so you'll be bored to tears of the standard stuff when you can finally race the extras you've bought.

-They still haven't shown any damage model.
Lol, at least the track/car is forever yours once you buy it.

But it would be an expensive fun :-)

It's a shame that he hasn't crashed or went off the track cause all the clips where he drove seem to be pretty stable ^_^
Quote from Shotglass :depends on whether you can stand the arse aroma... but on this occasion theres lots of info and little oppinion so its worth watching

It has ASS' "we don't dare to critizice the product, we just read the PR-brochure instead" about it though...
yeah but then again its a preview so thats sort of the whole point
Quote from Electric Eye :Lol, at least the track/car is forever yours once you buy it.

Well, its not really forever is it.
It's until you stop subscribing. That's completely different than forever.
(of course if you re-subscribe you still have it, but don't kid yourself that "it's yours", It's iRacings, you're just renting it)

iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG