The online racing simulator
iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
Depending on how the replay system works, this might just be the replay not having full physics detail
Quote from Shotglass :how exactly could they mess up the cars inertia after spending horrendous amounts of money to measure everything?
first the bumps at virgin now the inertia...

A small tweak is a little different from a "mess up" shot.

All the cars have more accurate chassis inertia numbers, so the response rates have changed. Some cars have higher moments, some lower.
Quote from AndroidXP :Depending on how the replay system works, this might just be the replay not having full physics detail

how... retro

oh and yay for laser scanned bumps
Attached images
grab020754.jpg
grab020776.jpg
Quote from Shotglass :how... retro

oh and yay for laser scanned bumps

Shotglass those pics feel like I am wearing glasses they are so blurry, are you intentionally doctoring up those screenies? =P
I saw that in the vid, and I *naturally* assumed that video artefacts were responsible for the car dipping into the track. Apparently I was wrong.
Quote from SamH :I saw that in the vid, and I *naturally* assumed that video artefacts were responsible for the car dipping into the track. Apparently I was wrong.

Cheers for that, it was so blurry I couldn't even see the meshes being messed up at first.

Shotty you really need to stop doctoring those pictures, you will give iRacing a bad name
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Shotglass those pics feel like I am wearing glasses they are so blurry, are you intentionally doctoring up those screenies? =P

direct screenshots from the srt video at 100% jpeg quality with ffd... please excuse that i didnt export them as bmp and manually convert them to jpeg as best i could
blame wmv
Can someone merge the 2 threads on iRacing please?
Quote from SamH :I saw that in the vid, and I *naturally* assumed that video artefacts were responsible for the car dipping into the track.

I also saw cars floating above the track in replays.

But no matter how much people try and pick holes in something they haven't tried,(I'm not talking about you Sam ) the fact of the matter is the combination of the physics and the laser scanned tracks makes iRacing feel better to drive than anything else on the market. Just. That really cant be denied.
(i reckon if you drove nKPro on laser scanned tracks it would feel virtually the same though)

The rest of the package isn't perfect though, and i guess people are expecting perfection for that price. I know i was expecting a lot more for the money.
Quote from The Moose :The rest of the package isn't perfect though, and i guess people are expecting perfection for that price. I know i was expecting a lot more for the money.

indeed... for that price id expect all the good bits from other sims combined and refined to perfection
what you do get however is replays that look like rfactors (when they should look as good as lfs') ffb that according to you isnt as good as any of the competitiors real time generated ones (and the fact that you can choose negative values for the ffb settings makes it sound suspiciously like rfactors effect based system) engine notes that arent real time generated... collisions that can send you on a trip to interplanetary space according to dwb (sorry if it was somebody else who mentioned it) and on top of all that an online system that wont let you play the way youd like to
it all sounds like its just as rough as any indie project
They are theifs. At least with lfs people who buy s2 are actually buying into scavier in a way. And funding the development of future patches.
Quote from Gil07 :Can someone merge the 2 threads on iRacing please?

Or just lock the other one and point it here as the discussion about the pricing policy has been flogged to death, resuscitated, given an enema, reflogged and dismembered?
Quote from Shotglass : ffb that according to you isnt as good as any of the competitiors real time generated ones

I didn't say that If it looks like i did say that anywhere point me to it and I'll re-word it.

The FF is very good. Better than LFS. It gives me much the same feel as nKPro, but the more detailed tracks give it a lot of life. I didn't get an instant connection with the tires, but that may just be me.
Quote from Shotglass :whoops youre right you said only nkp feels better (which it cant because nkps ffb doesnt feel as good as lfs' )

Hehe. there's just no way in hell that LFS feels better than nKPro.

And remember.... It's over two years since i started driving nKPro. I remember it feeling incredible from the moment i drove out of the pits for the first time, but did i instantly know what the tires were saying to me? Probably not in all honesty. I know it felt more natural than anything I'd ever driven before, but the reality is it probably took me a bit more than the 5 days i spent with iRacing to get a complete feel for everything the tires were telling me.

If I'd spent a bit longer with iRacing i would probably be feeling the tires perfectly naturally. I certainly haven't seen anyone else say they felt disconnected from the road.

It is probably the best FF ever. It combines the weight you feel with LFS and the fidelity of feedback you get with nKPro.

That's cleared that up i hope
sure it's perfect because they did only 3 cars and some tracks... if they wanted to do all of them they wouldn't have any chance..still i preffer lfs
Quote from Andrei221 :sure it's perfect because they did only 3 cars and some tracks... if they wanted to do all of them they wouldn't have any chance..still i preffer lfs

There's a lot more than 3 cars and a couple of tracks if you're prepared to pay for them.

I have to agree with Moose it seems like we've got a few retards coming out to bash any potential LFS rival without having tried it. iRacing has plenty of good and bad things about it that are known to be true. So would the few idiots who have come here over the last day or so with comments comparing it to the ISI engine and jump on the fact that some changes to the physics have been made (pretty much every element of the physics in LFS has had big changes since S2 came out) without knowing the details please go away you're almost as special as the RSC member who is arguing that iRacing has no relation to previous Papy engines
Well, I've got my invite, so I'm in the next rollout. I'll tell you how it feels compared to LFS AFTER I've tried it. So far all I can say is 'the videos look good'.
I'm bloody worried, I was supposed to get an invite, and hearing that others are getting theres now, I'm wondering if somehow my email was gotten wrong / UKCT mailserver is ****ed...

<enter worry state now>
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm bloody worried, I was supposed to get an invite, and hearing that others are getting theres now, I'm wondering if somehow my email was gotten wrong / UKCT mailserver is ****ed...

<enter worry state now>

I had Dave divert your iRacing email to me. Must say, that Pontiac's kinda fun!

::runs away::
Haha, good luck seeing: 1) I haven't paid, and 2) The beta hasn't opened to the invited yet...
Quote from SamH :that Pontiac's kinda fun!

That was the give away that you're lying
hehe.. meh.. I need more practice, freaking Dustin out. He's so good at freaking everyone else out!
I actually really do enjoy the Solstice, though.
Quote from SamH :hehe.. meh.. I need more practice, freaking Dustin out. He's so good at freaking everyone else out!

Just because I was naked on camchat those 10 times, doesn't mean you were freaked out. In fact, I heard the noises Jack was making.

iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG