The online racing simulator
Hmm, I've a 9800 PRO, also on Omega (No idea what version, not at home). Maybe it's an Omega problem?
I'd suggest trying the latest ATI drivers and cleaning out the card's heatsink. The artefacting is probably due to overheating (or memory failure). Hot summer days tend to take their toll on graphics cards.
In a number og earlier posts complaints were raised against having decreased the text size in the menu screens. However, I think that the smaller text size it not the real problem; it is the poor rendering of the text. The text appears quite blurry as if anti aliased rather poorly. I discovered that by decreasing the MIP bias for text to -0.2 the text suddenly appeared crystal sharp. Maybe this should be the deafult setting if all others experience the same blurred texts?

/Morten
iirc the default text setting is -0.5
My fps went up 0, lol. Didn't really notice any change in fps.

This may be true for other Y patches, but i was using the driving line today and saw this. Woo, transparent underbody.
Attached images
2.jpg
BUG: Shift U

How to reproduce: Start LFS in Single Player, load KY1, add 15 FXR, and 10 laps. Once all 15 are on grid, TAB through all of them until you get to the leader, then SHIFT U. The sound skips, and gives me an error.

E: Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jCYM4uKFw
What version do you use? That was fixed in Y22...
Quote from KanseiDneova :My fps went up 0, lol. Didn't really notice any change in fps.

This may be true for other Y patches, but i was using the driving line today and saw this. Woo, transparent underbody.

think thats due to the driving line/ideal line "floating" above the race track high enough to be above the underbody.
Quote from KanseiDneova :This may be true for other Y patches, but i was using the driving line today and saw this. Woo, transparent underbody.

This is like the first bug that was immediately reported after the racing line was implemented. It is caused by the racing line being rendered above the track, which is done to prevent the line dipping below the track.
Quote from KanseiDneova :My fps went up 0, lol. Didn't really notice any change in fps.

I believe that happened before too.
Quote from Gil07 :What version do you use? That was fixed in Y22...

aha, I didnt see the update
Quote from Shotglass :iirc the default text setting is -0.5

I just renamed cfg.txt and the default is -1.0 Mip bias for text. The lowest you can go is -1.5 which gives clearer text.
I would also like to express my gratitude for this latest patch. LFS runs much smoother now. It's an excellent improvement for people running on older computers with decent video cards like myself. If there is anything else to "optimize" please don't hesitate to do so!
Quote from sgt.flippy :And another problem I saw on the last page: my reflections on the car are gone. It looks like a toy car now. I get shadows on it, and a little bit of reflection, but the color stays pretty flat.

Make sure you're not running any third party textures. The high resolution textures pack changes the reflections and requires a change to the shinyness of the cars. You might want to try a fresh install of LFS in a separate directory, just to rule out this possible cause.
I tested the frame rate before and after Y21 in South City in the BMW F1 car and before hand i had to take off alot of graphics or low to get it running at 30fps. After i downloaded Y21 i felt no improvement, FPS stayed at 30fps. I put all the graphic settings full or best, and it stayed at 30fps.

So, i dont know how it works, but its ok, but VERY confusing!
Artifacts
Y22

I'm getting artifacts too, it only happens in LFS not other games.

Also, when I press Alt-Tab and then switch back to LFS I'm loosing AntiAliasing and no matter what settings I use I can't get it back, only restarting LFS works.

Ati Radeon X1600
Catalyst 8.5
Attached images
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
FPS increase is very noticeable, thx Scawen
Blackwood I + 11 AIs in FBM = +15fps
Blackwood only I = +20-25fps

Thanks! Now AA keeps without lags
Quote from aoun :I tested the frame rate before and after Y21 in South City in the BMW F1 car and before hand i had to take off alot of graphics or low to get it running at 30fps. After i downloaded Y21 i felt no improvement, FPS stayed at 30fps. I put all the graphic settings full or best, and it stayed at 30fps.

So, i dont know how it works, but its ok, but VERY confusing!

Check the fps-limiter.
Nice, FPS slowly getting better. I still have the white lines visible on the road in certain areas (if only they were grey ).

Any replays I have upto X36 gets an oos error after a short way into the replay, but everything since X39 seems fine. (normally single player with ai)

Now I just wish to use my quad cores to get more fps (core1 updates the cars physics and outputs to in/outsim packets, cores 2/3/4 use these packets of data to calculate the sounds/visuals/ai reactions etc.) - Sounds good in theory. I'm sure one of the best programmers in the world could get it working once he gets the time to work on it
Something annoying

When going to Display list of host then refresh servers, join any server and play there for a while then leave the server and back to Display list of host, then SOMETIMES when i refresh again, No servers is refreshed, i cant see any servers, and then i go in and out and then i can see servers.
Quote from Ramon F. :Y22

I'm getting artifacts too, it only happens in LFS not other games.

Ati Radeon X1600
Catalyst 8.5

Can you possibly check if it does the same if you roll back to Catalyst 8.4? In another indie game I follow there were bug reports of similar funkiness when users updated to 8.5 and returning to 8.4 remedied that. If this happens in your case as well, please take time to report it in the ATI driver bug report forum as well.
this is the gretest patch yet. It looks 100x better than the old one, and I noticed that I can get a better max framerate thanks scawen!

EDIT
unfortunately I still get about 7 when I'm in a pack of cars. But, it isn't choppy like it used to be!

were the shadows updated as well? i was getting shadows from buildings too.
Yet another artifact report
Quote from Ramon F. :Artifacts ...

I also noticed a tiny amount of artifacts on Y22 yesterday. I've never ever experienced artifacts in LFS before on any PC (with one exception - but that time the graphics card was dying). Since I was using a laptop yesterday (IBM Thinkpad T60) which is not really intended for gaming I did not bother reporting it here until i saw the other reports just now.

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon XP1300
Driver: 8.293.1.0 (Yes, they're ancient but bear in mind I do not usually run games on this computer).
Scawen,

Just to let you know that your update is so good i didnt notice i'd still got my video card set to 400Mhz as i was still getting above 100fps (3870XT normally set to 900 for gaming) and 90% of all pit outs caused no glitch AT ALL!

Thanks for the great work

Simon
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y22 : Faster and Smoother
(381 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG