The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from ajp71 :Did you do mine from earlier?

Yeah, everyone who sent a PM got there names sent to iR
Quote from danowat :Yeah, everyone who sent a PM got there names sent to iR

Cheers Dan. Should be interesting.. Does iRacing have tyre deformation BTW? And is there ANY steering lag? Because I can't stand the slightest bit of steering delay.
Quote from danowat :Yeah, everyone who sent a PM got there names sent to iR

Thanks

I just expected it to have sent a confirmation e-mail telling me I'm in the next batch?
Quote from DaveWS :And is there ANY steering lag? Because I can't stand the slightest bit of steering delay.

judging by the isr interview there is... and a lot of it

i know alex has called me special for making comparisons with rfactor but it isnt exactly trying hard to make me not draw those
Quote from Shotglass :judging by the isr interview there is... and a lot of it

Which interview is this?

Quote :
i know alex has called me special for making comparisons with rfactor but it isnt exactly trying hard to make me not draw those

I was more referring to the 'iRacing=rF and therefore sucks' fraternity. I think your capable of arguing on a slightly higher intellectual level
Wait did I miss something, or how can you possibly compare rFactor to iRacing?

One is based on SCGT, and the other is based on GPL...

Can't get much bigger difference than that, can you?
Quote from ajp71 :Which interview is this?

http://insidesimracing.tv/inde ... amp;id=122&Itemid=181
it has a couple of shots with the steering wheel in sight with a couple of different wheel and monitor hardware combos so its fair to assume its not an isolated issue... plus its their machines if its supposed to work lag free anywhere id assume their own hardware would be one of the candidates

oh and speaking of that interview and rf comparisons... the attachment contains at least one major error
Attached images
untitled.JPG
Quote from Shotglass :Oh and speaking of that interview and rf comparisons... the attachment contains at least one major error

"forth"?
Quote from SamH :"forth"?

who knows... maybe iracing is coded in forth
although i cant say ive seen kaemmer talk like yoda yet
Quote from SamH :The suspension looks to move handsomely. The driver at 4:13 doesn't, though. That looks weird! LOL

the hands not moving too...that's great simulation!
There is no steering lag.
Quote from ajp71 :Does anybody have the pricing information for 3 months? If it comes with enough free credit to get the Skip Barber car I might go for 3 months.

1 month $20 with $2.5 credit
3 months $50 with $10 credit
6 months $90 with $25 credit
12 months $156 with $60 credit

Skip Barber car: $15

Tracks needed for the complete series (you could skip buying VIR and still compete because only the best 8 of 12 rounds count)
Virginia International Speedway: $20
Infineon: $25

10% volume discount for 3 or more items, 20% for 6 or more

So $54 total for the Skip Barber series and not covered by the 3 month subscription credits.

To buy everything available at the moment would cost $260 with the 20% discount. Those guys must be very keen

No steering lag for me either. I'm sure I could get some in LFS by turning on vsync and leaving the frames to render ahead at the default
Can you earn credits by doing well? Remember something along those lines being eluded to, to encourage good drivers
Mmm, well it's been a while since we've had any anti iRacing comments. Just thought I'd hold the fort . . . .

Go LFS!!!!!!
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Or people just don't want to fork out that kind of money for something when the same could be had elsewhere.

Sure real tracks/cars, I'd rather wait for LFS to have both knowing that the devs are here for the community, not to make cash.

As an iRacing tester I have watched their progress and can tell you that J Henry has spent an eye watering amount of money up front for this venture, through love of sim racing. And the LFS devs do this to make a living, I'm sorry if that comes as a shock to you, it isn't something that is mutually exclusive with doing something creative that you have a talent for.

And btw, where can people have the same for somewhere else?? Get your facts straight. The vehicle modelling itself is beyond anything done before. The measuring and weighing of individual vehicle components to help model a vehicle is something never seen or done before in sim racing.
Quote from dontsimon :Mmm, well it's been a while since we've had any anti iRacing comments. Just thought I'd hold the fort . . . .

Go LFS!!!!!!

Predictably divisive.

I think it's more than just well-established that this community doesn't regard the two as mutually exclusive. It also seems more and more clear that the target market for iRacing is fairly different from LFS, not on a simulation level but on a marketing/financing level. Nobody at all has made any reasoned attempt at creating a "them vs us" out of LFS and iRacing. Yours doesn't count because there's no reasoning.
Exactly, there is no way LFS and iR go against each other, because they are so very different.
Quote from dontsimon :As an iRacing tester I have watched their progress and can tell you that J Henry has spent an eye watering amount of money up front for this venture, through love of sim racing. And the LFS devs do this to make a living, I'm sorry if that comes as a shock to you, it isn't something that is mutually exclusive with doing something creative that you have a talent for.

And btw, where can people have the same for somewhere else?? Get your facts straight. The vehicle modelling itself is beyond anything done before. The measuring and weighing of individual vehicle components to help model a vehicle is something never seen or done before in sim racing.

My facts are perfectly strait. He wants people to pay hundreds of bucks a month to play something that will never be like real racing at the end of the day. No simulator will by definition and will only give approximations. My only issue is the shear amount of money needed to play the game. If others feel different please go ahead, but I would rather save my money for things that are already duplicated elsewhere.

He's not doing anything new, he may have gone a bit more in detail with some aspects, but for me that detail isn't worth the $1200 difference I would have to pay to duplicate the time I have spent in LFS. I can think of a lot of things I can buy with that money that would last those 6 years easily and something I would still be able to sell after I didn't want it. That 1200 is the minimum. Once more content is available that cost difference will go up as you buy more tracks and cars.
Not per month, Chris

[edit] eek.. where is $1200 coming from??
Quote from SamH :Not per month, Chris

[edit] eek.. where is $1200 coming from??

That would be to cover the 6 years I have spent playing LFS if I wanted to play iRacing for that same amount of time thats the cheapest it would cost me for all the content available. Once more content is made available it will cost more as I would have pay to play with it.

Where as with LFS it would be what, $75 dollars by the time it's all said and done with S3? Sure the content may not have every component measured or every track laser scanned, it has a great community though and to me thats more important than having the latest gadget and gizmo. But it seems that I am a minority
The way they are pricing reminds me of The Sims 2 that I seem to buy every week for my daughter. If there was a shiny Sims 2 box in the shop with all the add-ons included for £150 I would not buy it for her, yet that is probably at least what it has cost me.

Having said that, if iRacing becomes the leading means of competing in online sim-racing then I guess I will have no choice but to buy it.
I want iRacing physics, but I don't WANT Laser-Scanned tracks - I will NEVER get to go to Laguna Seca etc and so don't mind if that bump's not in the right place - so far people like Moose have said that the bumps make it feels better, like a real track, but I think as long the bumps were similar (i.e. same size, same frequency) it would be just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Of course the fact that they laser scanned tracks and then still missed a big ump at the start is dodgy!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG