The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
Quote from flymike91 :does your future insurance company have any deals to be made? Maybe this doesn't fly over there but I'm 17 I pay $1200 a year for my (red) 1973 camaro with 400 HP. The only reason it is that low is because my grades are good (deal one) and I can only drive it 5,000 miles a year (deal two). Could a UK insurance company give you a discount for grades and limited driving?

Not to brag like Harjun, but my family pays $5,000 a year for all the insurance on all 7 of our cars. Sounds like its time for a revolution against your insurance companies.

P.S. Go for the Ford. It'll be almost like a party when you drive it...it'll be a fiesta.

You will pay less for low yearly mileage here too, but males under 25 generally pay way more in the UK than anywhere else in an attempt to try and keep us away from sports cars and the like in an attempt to cut down on the amount of teenagers driving into trees. Once we reach that holy grail of 25 insurance drops dramatically, and that is when males start paying less than females as we are then considered more mature and safer drivers. Picture that.
hmm sexism much? Insurance companies are allowed to get away with anything their statistics back up though. Oh btw I'm writing this on a plane. I'm heading to london to become an insurance salesman. I could probably make a lot of money doing things the American way. Paying more depending on where you park it? Preposterous. You guys pay enough for gas, why do they butt befriend you on insurance too?
Quote from flymike91 :hmm sexism much? Insurance companies are allowed to get away with anything their statistics back up though.

Well that's the thing, it's all statistics, women are generally involved in low speed crashes - bumping into someone at the shops kinda thing - not sliding across the road and wiping out 3 cars/people at 50mph etc.

Quote from flymike91 :Paying more depending on where you park it? Preposterous.

If it's more likely to be broken into/stolen, the you would expect the price to rise. How much it rises in relation to the actual value of the car is debatable.
Well, my birthday present this year from my Dad is 4 driving lessons and a skid-pad training thingy when (or to use his words, if, :really I pass my test.

Woo.
Quote from Jakg :Well, my birthday present this year from my Dad is 4 driving lessons and a skid-pad training thingy when (or to use his words, if, :really I pass my test.

Woo.

Fair play....

doubt ill get anything more then second driver on a deawoo matis.
I know this probably isn't relevant for you Jakg but I think it is worth pointing out that for anybody not driving a car as the primary driver getting named driver insurance is worth it to begin with. Initially the best quote I got for the Focus as my own policy was £2500, after a year of driving as a named driver the several companies would offer me £1200 and one rang me up after I did a quote on confused saying they may be able to reduce it further if I answered some further questions, this is all without a proper no claims bonus. Lots of people may tell you that getting a no claims bonus by having your own policy from the start is the best way and that going down the named driver route will not work out cheaper in the end, given that I currently add £600 to my Dad's policy and based on the assumption it can only keep getting cheaper if I continue as a named driver for longer I'd strongly advise waiting a year or two before taking out your own policy if it is applicable to you
.[/quote]I very much doubt Jack is going to get an old Fiat. A Punto on the other hand would be in his 'league' but I still wouldn't recommend one.[/quote]
i know
you were implying that fiats were bad cars, they are not. all italian cars rust quickly and break easly (inc ferrari) but they are not bad cars.
also JAKG if you want somthing cheep and fun get a mini they are reeley good fun even at low speed
Get a 04-05 reg Corsa 1.2, cheap insurance, looks nice, ecotec engine.
Quote from Alistair :
i know
you were implying that fiats were bad cars, they are not. all italian cars rust quickly and break easly (inc ferrari) but they are not bad cars.

ROFL

Quote :
also JAKG if you want somthing cheep and fun get a mini they are reeley good fun even at low speed

Ignore the purchase price (Minis aren't that cheap anyway), first cars are bought on insurance, insuring a Mini isn't cheap for a new driver and you will be restricted to the newer ones (and more expensive purchase price) unless you can negotiate a conventional insurance company to ignore its car age cut off or a classic insurer to insure a young driver, both very unlikely to happen.
Just seen a Clio (R-Reg) for £360, it's done 123,000 miles, though. I'll see what major thing is wrong with it soon.

*subtle bump*
Forgot about this thread. Basically a writen off car with no/next to no damage is either when it has been flood damaged or its very small scrapes etc. E.G my dad recently bought one of those Merc AMG W12 things (£120,000 new) 54 reg for £7000 and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just had it dried and cleaned up and it was good to go.

If you give me a budget ill keep a lookout for you.
Quote from Jakg :Just seen a Clio (R-Reg) for £360, it's done 123,000 miles, though. I'll see what major thing is wrong with it soon.

*subtle bump*

People pay that little on a car? I'd never look at anything under 2k, give or take. When you buy second hand you're buying someone else's problems, so the less you pay the more problems it'll have.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Get a 306 meridian!

Seriously though, a 1.4 is'nt expensive to insure. I've not insured mine yet as its kept in the garage all the time as its having an engine rebuild, but i've done quotes and the cheapest i have got so far is £1035 a year, with the car kept in the garage. I cant remember whether thats fully comp or comprehensive though so i'll have to check.

Not expensive to insure? I'm 19, been driving for two years with no convictions and the cheapest quote I got was £860 on a 99 1.25 Fiesta Zetec. Thats fully comp.

Out of the cars you've listed Jakg I'd recommend a Fiesta. I had a Clio (R reg) as my first car and had nothing but trouble with it. Not long after owning it a wheel bearing went, then the CVDs starting clunking, then the water pump went and to top if off the same wheel bearing went again... My Dad doesn't have much more luck with his 206, luckily he used to own a garage so can sort his own car.

The Fiesta has been faultless so far, getting over 40mpg and handles reasonable. I live in the middle of know where so rack up about 260-320miles a week and so far the fiesta hasn't missed a beat!
Any other opinions on Flood Damaged cars, please?
Quote from Jakg :Any other opinions on Flood Damaged cars, please?

If the car is in the bottom of a lake, don't buy it.
Depends if you can live with the smell really Its re-sale value once you come to sell it will be poor as well, due to being HPI listed and stuff.

I can't really think of many reasons why it wouldn't be fine mechanically, unless its a Ford, then it'll be rusting even before you put your bid in for it.
If its fresh water and the water never generally goes over the sill they are fine, get it dried out and a decent valet and there is no damp smell. Also just need to watch for electrics and make sure they all work properly. My dad gets clios etc in occasionaly most have very light damage or flood damage. It won't hurt the re-sale costs, you tend to get more than what it stands you ateven if it is on HPI, unless you pay a silly price.
Quote from Jakg :Any other opinions on Flood Damaged cars, please?

Mechanically they're likely to either be fine if they just sat in flood water and were suitably dried out before they were run. If it was written off you'd have to re-register it though and the insurance company may not like it. Given that you're only buying an old banger then I don't think it would be worth it, anything interesting that could be cheap would cost too much to insure anyway.
Jack a mate of mine is selling his daughters S reg Polo 60,000 miles nothing wrong with it, not sure if it was damaged or not i will have to ask him, taxed MOT'd etc. £800
ATM i have less than £50, so no thanks...
Thats a starting point, for that money you can get a Nissan Micra and still have change for the pub (coke for the drivers, of course). Seriously, I brought my 1st car for £40. That lasted me over a year. 100 miles to a fiver on long journeys as well, good 'ol 1.0 engines That was 5 years back though, I made more than that back off the scrap metal at the end
Quote from ajp71 :you will be restricted to the newer ones (and more expensive purchase price) unless you can negotiate a conventional insurance company to ignore its car age cut off or a classic insurer to insure a young driver, both very unlikely to happen.

Rubbish. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't make it up. I know plenty of people who had old minis as their first cars, some modified and all correctly insured.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :People pay that little on a car? I'd never look at anything under 2k, give or take. When you buy second hand you're buying someone else's problems, so the less you pay the more problems it'll have.

What are you buying? An old Merc?

Forget £2k, £500 will get you something acceptable, £1k will get you something that won't go wrong.

I've had my car for three years now, driven pretty energetically shall we say, only thing that went wrong is a snapped cutch cable, which is very common with Zetec engined (not zetec spec) mk3 Fiesta's. Paid nearly a K for it, which seems a lot for a fiesta, I'm sure you'll hear of people buying them for £20 etc, but it was fine for my first car. Top spec model (for a fiesta) so was nice enough inside. Personally I wouldn't bother with a 1.1/1.3, guess they're pretty reliable though.

(an R clio, presumably mk1 phase3 will arguably be the best handling first-car hatch you could get btw).
Quote from pb32000 :
Forget £2k, £500 will get you something acceptable, £1k will get you something that won't go wrong.

I've had my car for three years now, driven pretty energetically shall we say, only thing that went wrong is a snapped cutch cable, which is very common with Zetec engined (not zetec spec) mk3 Fiesta's. Paid nearly a K for it, which seems a lot for a fiesta, I'm sure you'll hear of people buying them for £20 etc, but it was fine for my first car. Top spec model (for a fiesta) so was nice enough inside. Personally I wouldn't bother with a 1.1/1.3, guess they're pretty reliable though.

(an R clio, presumably mk1 phase3 will arguably be the best handling first-car hatch you could get btw).

Valid points, my first "real" car that wasn't a complete banger was my 2nd 106, which was £500. My brother in law still uses it today. My Focus only set me back £1,600, 1.8 Zetec spec and all. Reasonable milage and good condition, runs and drives brilliant. Maybe cars down this way are just cheap

(I'd argue a 106 phase 1 rallye would be the best handling mini-hatch for a first car btw )
Quote from Rtsbasic :Valid points, my first "real" car that wasn't a complete banger was my 2nd 106, which was £500. My brother in law still uses it today. My Focus only set me back £1,600, 1.8 Zetec spec and all. Reasonable milage and good condition, runs and drives brilliant. Maybe cars down this way are just cheap

(I'd argue a 106 phase 1 rallye would be the best handling mini-hatch for a first car btw )

Focus sounds like a good deal I think as you say, for a bit of a laugh a £50 snotter would be great, just run it for as long as it goes then move on, can't say fairer than that really.

Yer that's a good point actually, although possibly slightly out of budget with regards to insurance hehe.

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG