The online racing simulator
Guess the movie
(643 posts, started )
Quote from pine-fin :The idea was to use dvd-captures, NOT pics from the web/edited/desaturated pictures. If your pic is legit then forget my post.

It is a legit picture (un-edited) although likely found from the web (saw the same one in google images). But it's just the same as if he'd screen-grabbed it himself really as it's one of the classic settings of the movie.
Yeah you where right Superslider, go for it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

@Pine-fin, i realise you created this thread, but don't you think it's gonna be a real pain in the arse to get a screen grab from a DVD you don't own, when there are millions of film pics to be found in Google ?

After all the game is 'guess the movie', not 'who can show the prettiest screen grab'.
Quote from Mazz4200 :@Pine-fin, i realise you created this thread, but don't you think it's gonna be a real pain in the arse to get a screen grab from a DVD you don't own, when there are millions of film pics to be found in Google ?

After all the game is 'guess the movie', not 'who can show the prettiest screen grab'.

I wrote a long angry reply post, read it, deleted it.
I'll just say this; fine. I dont like it, but if you guys cant make shots directly from the movie, then fine. Use the damn googel. I really like this game and I would wipe a tear from my cheek if it died :F
pine-fin, since you like this game so much, heres a clue to keep the game going.

RgEoNzRrEeWh
Quote from Mazz4200 :Yeah you where right Superslider, go for it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

@Pine-fin, i realise you created this thread, but don't you think it's gonna be a real pain in the arse to get a screen grab from a DVD you don't own, when there are millions of film pics to be found in Google ?

Blah, I even watched that movie like.. last friday. Shame I don't click on the thread that I'm viewing. That movie was fun.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Totally

It's in my top ten for sure. Especially the black and white version, for some reason the colour version doesn't have the same impact.

Anyway, it's your turn bud

Black & white version? I know about the couple of different cuts (original tv series -> theatherical version -> director's cut -> and apparently the latest "original uncut" version) but I've only seen the director's cut. But B&W? Someone explain this to me. I'm confused
Quote from superslider :pine-fin, since you like this game so much, heres a clue to keep the game going.
RgEoNzRrEeWh

Is this clue related to the picture from the movie you posted? I don't see any guesses, and I have "no clue" what movie that picture is from.
Quote from deggis :Black & white version? I know about the couple of different cuts (original tv series -> theatherical version -> director's cut -> and apparently the latest "original uncut" version) but I've only seen the director's cut. But B&W? Someone explain this to me. I'm confused

It's been on British Tv quite a few times over the last 20yrs or so. Sometimes it was in black and white, sometimes in colour, sometimes in series format, sometimes the whole film in one go, but thankfully always in German with English subtitles.

I just assumed the colour/B&W were different versions, but maybe the chaps at the BBC just turned a few knobs and dials and made it B&W.

Honestly it's far far better in B&W. As Eggzotic said above it really brings in the claustrophobia, hardens the actors faces and adds even more tension. And i guess it helps that most of us think of WW2 as a black and white war (so to speak )

Try renting it and fade the colour out of your TV, it'll make the film so much better.

Interestingly, the last time i watched it 5 or 6yrs ago, i had a good friend of mine there, who happens to be a German. He spent the first half of the film laughing at the posh German accents, and the second half of the film (after the first merchant ship was sunk) incessantly apologising for his nations role during the War...

Whichever way you see it, it's a damn good film, it's just better in black and white, that's all
jeffr, yes the clue is directly related to the movie,
ill give you another one though. it is a short movie.
if you got the first clue the second should be a dead giveaway.
Quote from superslider :jeffr, yes the clue is directly related to the movie,ill give you another one though. it is a short movie.

I'm assuming the first clue was some type of code, but I have no idea how to decode it. Maybe someone else will figure this out.
Quote from JeffR :I'm assuming the first clue was some type of code, but I have no idea how to decode it. Maybe someone else will figure this out.

It's obviously Werner Herzog - but the only way for me to solve the "which film" is this would be to cheat and go through his movies online since apart from Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski and a couple of documentary-a-likes I can't really recall any other work of his.
Quote from Mazz4200 :but maybe the chaps at the BBC just turned a few knobs and dials and made it B&W.

Altough sounds unlikely...

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about B&W...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_boot#Versions

Also IMDB profile says "Color (Fujicolor)". Not likely to shoot a movie in colour and then tweaking the colours to B&W, if it's an artistic choice then it's usually filmed all the way in B&W film reels like Raging Bull or Schindler's List - obviously that way is only way to do it, the sets look quite different in colour. It's still today done that way, and probably as long as movies are shot in conventional film instead of digital formats.

So I think it is very unlikely that it was originally meant to be B&W, secondly I wonder why in the world all the other versions (at least these latter director's cuts) are in colour then. Not even George Lucas would do that kind of stuff. I'd really like to hear definitive answer to this
It may sound unlikely but i can assure you the first time i saw it on BBC it was in black and white. The second time i saw it, it was in colour and i actually thought they had colourised it, and it wasn't nearly as good.

Maybe it was 'just an artistic thing' but honestly, it really does work better in B&W, go try it, then tell me what you think.

Obviously looking at those links it was filmed in colour i'm not going to argue with you on that, but i can assure you it has been screened here in the UK in B&W. I even think a few 'Art House' movie theatres have shown it in B&W, including my local.
Hrm... I had watched in b&w too. I wonder if it was a gaffe by someone - but even so, it was a damned good one as I can only remember it in b&w now. Either that or Mass4200kg has the same memory problems as I do. It's a conspiracy.
I believe you, but I was just wondering what kind of version it is. I think some kind of version made only for tv would sound most logical.
Quote from xaotik :It's obviously Werner Herzog - but the only way for me to solve the "which film" is this would be to cheat and go through his movies online since apart from Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski and a couple of documentary-a-likes I can't really recall any other work of his.

+ Aguirre and that's me too.
its neither nosferatu nor aguirre,

you guys can cheat if you want, not a lot of people have seen this movie

whoever can google faster wins :P
Posted on 29.2, now 3.3
If no one knows the movie then lets move on. Post another one.

I'll add a time limit to this game, otherwise this keeps going until x-mas. 72 hours should be enough?
Only short Herzog film I could find was:
Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe
Looks like the opening scene from "Irreversible".
Ah cool, I'll have to post something whenever I get home though.
Here we go.
Attached images
sadlytheresnojoytobefoundinthefilename.jpg

Guess the movie
(643 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG