The online racing simulator
iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
FAIL!

It`s utterly stupid, and I never want to pay or play that game. It`s basically a NR2003 mod. As they say on the homepage they used Nr2003 game code as source, but ofc they improved every part of it. SURE! - then we know they are lazy. If they were anything close to beeing serious, they would not copy a other game, and claim to be their work. Look on Nr2003 mod community, does they charge money for the endless hours they use on editing the game? No, so therfor, Iracing got to be the biggest joke ever.
Quote from Dajmin :I was with that site all the way up until the rF link at the end

He probably thinks on all rF mods and cars you can find there... and some of them have great physics like F1 1979
Quote from The Very End :FAIL!

It`s utterly stupid, and I never want to pay or play that game. It`s basically a NR2003 mod. As they say on the homepage they used Nr2003 game code as source, but ofc they improved every part of it. SURE! - then we know they are lazy. If they were anything close to beeing serious, they would not copy a other game, and claim to be their work. Look on Nr2003 mod community, does they charge money for the endless hours they use on editing the game? No, so therfor, Iracing got to be the biggest joke ever.

It's pretty retarded to make this sort of a claim when neither yourself nor anyone you know has even come close to playing the game in its released state. You may disagree with the pricing in advance, but to make claims as to the game engine is plain stupidity.
#30 - wien

Fail indeed. How you can make these bold statements on something you haven't even tried baffles me.

Now, I'm by no means an iRacing expert, but that tripe that just came out of your mouth is as accurate as a release date announced by Kunos. Seriously

No, that post was a fail
Well, I rest my case. Someone who is too lazy develop a game doesn`t deserve the chance. They even ditched their old community aswell, so, basically it`s all up for earning $$$.
Sure, everyone loves $$$ but in this case it`s all about money and nothing about the game.

The graphics are really..well, o.k they are ok, but thats to say it nice. If it`s like Nr2003, sure then it handles ok, but still, making a game / mod out from a other game, and add some cars and tracks to id don`t justify the price for the game.
Quote from danowat :Sounds to much? yes, it does,but it works out at about £7 a month, or £1.60 a week, heck I spend more than that on magazines......

Don't fall into the "it's only xxx per month" sales trap. Very easy to piss away money that way.
And.. that's a lot to be spending on magazines, get a subscription.

iRental from the other thread is the perfect name for it.
#36 - wien
Quote from The Very End :but still, making a game / mod out from a other game, and add some cars and tracks to id don`t justify the price for the game.

Are you kidding me with this? Buying an existing engine is done in 99% of games made these days. It's called middleware. Creating everything from scratch is just completely pointless, and a waste of time in most cases. Why should sims be any different here?
Quote from Bob Smith :Just read this if you want a good laugh at people exaggerate about racing games (because of course, just the other day we had a new 16TB server installed, purely for photos... :really, and yet remain clueless as to which games are realistic or even what makes a car game realisitic.

Not to mention that he claims to be a long-time Ferrari fan, yet he can't tell Jody Scheckter from Jacky Ickx:
Quote from Mark Cale :I was supporting Ferrari when they weren't winning world championships. It took them 21 years to win a world championship from when Jackie Ickx last won it for them, which was just a few years after Niki Lauda.

Quote from wien :Are you kidding me with this? Buying an existing engine is done in 99% of games made these days. It's called middleware. Creating everything from scratch is just completely pointless, and a waste of time in most cases. Why should sims be any different here?

Yeah. Imagine if LFS development was stopped for five years. Would you expect the developers to start from scratch again in five years, or pick up where they left off? The only time I could see that you would want to start from scratch is if the fundamentals are not correct at all in the current version, but that's not the case with NR2003.
#39 - w126
It seems that iRacing may be perfect for all those people posting here that they would pay more for adding developers to LFS team, wanting real tracks and cars in LFS, saying how much they would pay for real tracks and cars, and which, being bored with LFS content because they've spent so much time with it, being unsatisfied with too slow development pace of LFS...

Mentioning console racing games and their marketing tricks in this context just doesn't make any sense. iRacing's product is based on the engine developed by Papyrus, still very good, even regarded as the best by many.

Their cars and tracks may not appeal to people living outside of north America, but this will probably change with time when they extend their content.

Will the price stop these people?
iracing.... looks good on paper... but thats where it ends.... if your going to charge that kinda money you need something simular to grand turismo with the handling out of kaido racer and the graphics out of CMD
Quote from theirishnoob :iracing.... looks good on paper... but thats where it ends.... if your going to charge that kinda money you need something simular to grand turismo with the handling out of kaido racer and the graphics out of CMD

The handling from Kaido racer? You mean, Terrible?! Why on earth would you want the handling of kaido racer in a $500 P.A race sim?

I'd want DX10 graphics, similar to Crysis, real world weather and time simulation, as well as LFS physics and about 300 real world cars.
Quote from w126 :It seems that iRacing may be perfect for all those people posting here that they would pay more for adding developers to LFS team, wanting real tracks and cars in LFS, saying how much they would pay for real tracks and cars, and which, being bored with LFS content because they've spent so much time with it, being unsatisfied with too slow development pace of LFS...

Very true, that's a point I tried to make in that other thread, but nobody seemed to have gotten it.

Quote from AndroidXP :http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en- ... c1c499c0(en-us,VS.85).gif ?

That is quite funny, actually. Made me chuckle.
#44 - Woz
I could have lived with monthly fee or I would have accepted a core "demo" and then paid for cars and tracks but as they want both its a no go for me.

I can see that you will be forced into getting the new tracks when released because when released they will be popular and you will find it hard to get a game on the tracks you have.

The other sticking point is that the ONLY servers you can play on are their servers, run in the USA. You CAN'T host you own servers etc.

I don't get why they just don't up the subscription and make all new content free. That would be appealing to many IMHO.
Quote from Bob Smith :It's all marketing. You can only wait and see for yourself. Just read this if you want a good laugh at people exaggerate about racing games (because of course, just the other day we had a new 16TB server installed, purely for photos... :really, and yet remain clueless as to which games are realistic or even what makes a car game realisitic.

lol that guy called gran turismo the "ultimate sim".
Quote from Woz :I don't get why they just don't up the subscription and make all new content free. That would be appealing to many IMHO.

Actually people seem to think that the price is already too high. Raising it even higher would stir up too much... The only problem what I really see is that you get so few cars and tracks and you still have to pay much more than what you are used to.

There is still the option to earn iracing dollars by racing (iirc) so the money you need to invest to get new tracks and cars may be somewhat lower than it looks now. It can be higher too, ASS didn't ask proper questions...
Quote from Mattesa :And.. that's a lot to be spending on magazines, get a subscription.

If he gets a subscription his girlfriend might see what the magazines are called.
Sorry but p2p for a racing simulator....heh.They want what?500$ for three years...but now place yourself as a new person in the simulation world.You now to need a new PC that will handle it($$) and a g25($$).This game cost way too much.
Quote from Dajmin :I was with that site all the way up until the rF link at the end

If it would be my site i'll would change it to LFS ^^
Rumour has it that if iRacing fails to meet it's market goals, it will be sold to Electronic Arts and relabeled as Need For Speed: Nascar Underground. The release will be timed to coinside with the failure of the real Nascar series due to the once again re-unified IRL / Champ car series, when Nascar drivers will be forced to do their racing back on the streets. The game will include not only racing, but free-roam, outruns, drifting, drag races, and of course the always popular police pursuits, somewhat styled after the popular daily high speed pursuits that help define part of life in Southern California. Unfortunately, the planned post race fist fights for Nascar 2009 won't be a part of Nascar Underground.

iRacing - getting closer - worth it?
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG