The online racing simulator
Quote from SamH :You can see the current state of play at LFSW, and join the server from there if that's actually something you want. That way, you don't even need to start up LFS to decide if there's a server you want to race on. Pretty efficient!

I agree that the info is in LFSworld, but it would nice to have it in both places. I always use the in-game browser, only because I haven't bothered to get join2lfs. I can make myself remember to use LFSworld, but you can't FORCE everyone to connect one way or another. If both places had that information, it wouldn't matter how you joined.
As Gentlefoot points out, though, the server browser already delivers most of the information. It tells you the track, the cars available, how many laps and where everybody on that track is - whether they're spectating, in a car and finished, or racing and on what lap. I don't really know what more information you're looking for that you wouldn't just be better off joining the server to see for yourself
Quote from SamH :As Gentlefoot points out, though, the server browser already delivers most of the information. It tells you the track, the cars available, how many laps and where everybody on that track is - whether they're spectating, in a car and finished, or racing and on what lap. I don't really know what more information you're looking for that you wouldn't just be better off joining the server to see for yourself

It's in the server browser at LFSworld, but not the one when you run LFS.exe. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
Quote from Danke :It's in the server browser at LFSworld, but not the one when you run LFS.exe. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

Aye sir, you are

Click on the [?] next to a server. This is new to you.. it's not a button that's available to you in demo, it's S1/S2 only.. so there's no need to feel stupid, unless you really wanna
Quote from SamH :Aye sir, you are

Click on the [?] next to a server. This is new to you.. it's not a button that's available to you in demo, it's S1/S2 only.. so there's no need to feel stupid, unless you really wanna

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info I've decided to feel stupid now despite your free pass.
hehe! We aim to please! If you use the last of the cofee in noobies corner, put another pot on. Someone else will surely be along in no time
Blimey, can't believe I've been playing LFS all this time and haven't come across this!
LFS always has another nifty trick up its sleeve when you least expect it.
Quote from MR_B :Blimey, can't believe I've been playing LFS all this time and haven't come across this!

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't know about that. BTW, Sam, I made the noob coffee last time, too. It's someone else's turn!
No volunteers??

I'll have the girlie , although i'd have to check to see if she has a beard first...
Quote from MR_B :Blimey, can't believe I've been playing LFS all this time and haven't come across this!

Ach well, it seems like I'm in good company

New to me as well!
Quote from MR_B :I'll have the girlie , although i'd have to check to see if she has a beard first...

:ices_rofl
I want it too, how much you pay?
I have mostly lost interest in LFS. Usually, it'll keep me interested for a few weeks until I get bored again and switch games. I do that all the time, maybe because I haven't bought any brand new fresh titles in a while.

I know that we're always going over and over the same things again. We all know what doesn't work in this game. We basically all agree that while the graphics in LFS are good enough for the game to be enjoyable, they aren't good enough for it to attract new customers. We all know that Eric lives in slow motion to the rest of us and should have finished doing dashboards by 2056. We all know that redundant errors of the past (notably colision system, etc) have been pissing us off for too long.

However, there's something I'd like to bring up, if it hasn't been yet. Considering that Scawen works alone on programming, he can only go so fast. That said, with this forum, it's easy to gauge how people are getting pissed off between each patch. Usually, people cheers when there's a new patch, do that for a couple of weeks, get pissed after a few months, and "demand a new patch or they'll quit" after another few months. Scawen working alone, I have a feeling that, up to a certain point, he has to release unfinished content to calm down people in here.

The reason why I bring up this point is this. Yesterday, I tried for the first time the A.I. (that shows much about how important I think it is). It was on KYGP, driving XRRs. So I go out of the pits... I brake... and BAM, the AIs crash into me just as if I wouldn't have been there. Now, that's what I called pretty damn unfinished. That makes me think: "Why on earth has Scawen released such a thing? It's flawed, and not even worthy of playing with it, not as if we'd have used A.I. in the first place, but still!" Maybe... it's not possible to finish the A.I. before there's a new collision system implanted? If so, why on earth did Scawen work on the A.I., a function that basically NOBODY EVER USES over a new collision system, a function that basically is problematic in EVERY RACE EVER?

I can understand that Scawen works the way he wants, and that he's working on something when he feels like it, but that kind of decision, working on something that nobody ever uses for a few months while he could have been doing other productive stuff is leading LFS no where. I think it's generally agreed that LFS will never attract as much people as a pure arcade racing game, then why on earth sabotage your own efforts by making - sorry - stupid decisions?
Quote from boosterfire :That makes me think: "Why on earth has Scawen released such a thing? It's flawed, and not even worthy of playing with it, not as if we'd have used A.I. in the first place, but still!" Maybe... it's not possible to finish the A.I. before there's a new collision system implanted? If so, why on earth did Scawen work on the A.I., a function that basically NOBODY EVER USES over a new collision system, a function that basically is problematic in EVERY RACE EVER?

You know the answer you'll get? "BECAUSE IT'S AN ALPHA RELEASE", that old chestnut gets wheeled out everytime, and it's a copout.
And people do use the AI, for training offline

DK
Quote from DieKolkrabe :And people do use the AI, for training offline

DK

Very few do. It is too slow to practise for league races and too dumb to practise racing. It is only usable if you desperately want to race some combo but can't find human opponents or your internets is down.
Quote from Hyperactive :Very few do. It is too slow to practise for league races and too dumb to practise racing. It is only usable if you desperately want to race some combo but can't find human opponents or your internets is down.

I do not agree. The AI on PRO level is a good way of traning for new players. For experienced players it`s not much of a help, but for new players it can be used as practice, or a standar. If you can drive equally as fast as it, you are more than prepared enough for going online. IMO!
Quote from The Very End :If you can drive equally as fast as it, you are more than prepared enough for going online. IMO!

A bit more considerately, though
Quote from NotAnIllusion :A bit more considerately, though

Don't be too hard on the AI. They have a job to do and we just get in their way!

EDIT: Oops! Was that spam? Sorry DK
Quote from boosterfire :I have mostly lost interest in LFS. Usually, it'll keep me interested for a few weeks until I get bored again and switch games. I do that all the time, maybe because I haven't bought any brand new fresh titles in a while.

I know that we're always going over and over the same things again. We all know what doesn't work in this game. We basically all agree that while the graphics in LFS are good enough for the game to be enjoyable, they aren't good enough for it to attract new customers. We all know that Eric lives in slow motion to the rest of us and should have finished doing dashboards by 2056. We all know that redundant errors of the past (notably colision system, etc) have been pissing us off for too long.

However, there's something I'd like to bring up, if it hasn't been yet. Considering that Scawen works alone on programming, he can only go so fast. That said, with this forum, it's easy to gauge how people are getting pissed off between each patch. Usually, people cheers when there's a new patch, do that for a couple of weeks, get pissed after a few months, and "demand a new patch or they'll quit" after another few months. Scawen working alone, I have a feeling that, up to a certain point, he has to release unfinished content to calm down people in here.

The reason why I bring up this point is this. Yesterday, I tried for the first time the A.I. (that shows much about how important I think it is). It was on KYGP, driving XRRs. So I go out of the pits... I brake... and BAM, the AIs crash into me just as if I wouldn't have been there. Now, that's what I called pretty damn unfinished. That makes me think: "Why on earth has Scawen released such a thing? It's flawed, and not even worthy of playing with it, not as if we'd have used A.I. in the first place, but still!" Maybe... it's not possible to finish the A.I. before there's a new collision system implanted? If so, why on earth did Scawen work on the A.I., a function that basically NOBODY EVER USES over a new collision system, a function that basically is problematic in EVERY RACE EVER?

I can understand that Scawen works the way he wants, and that he's working on something when he feels like it, but that kind of decision, working on something that nobody ever uses for a few months while he could have been doing other productive stuff is leading LFS no where. I think it's generally agreed that LFS will never attract as much people as a pure arcade racing game, then why on earth sabotage your own efforts by making - sorry - stupid decisions?

I see your main point and have to agree with your arguments.

Additionally, I tried to race with AIs every now and then, just as you said if no one else is there, internet broke down or there is just no motivation for "real" races.
But it just does not make sense, they drive too stupid that you're better trained driving alone.

What I really miss are ingame tools that help you optimizing your setup.

Like your pits crew recording your race data and showing bars compared with your setting bars what would be better in overall race average, stronges left turn, stronges right turn ect.

Everyone always says this is a sim, it hast to be so difficult, but then "sim" the pits crew that does a lot of work, too, too!

(But I doubt that'll be there, since not even a well documentation is been given, the main point seems to be try and fail, wenn fail in common of course, but if that shall be the center of keeping people here.... Oo )
Quote from Doorman :Don't be too hard on the AI. They have a job to do and we just get in their way!

EDIT: Oops! Was that spam? Sorry DK

It wasn't spam, it was pork Doorman

Some of us get in their way more than others though...

/me really needs to finish that De Cesaris paintscheme :P

DK
Quote from boosterfire :We all know that Eric lives in slow motion to the rest of us and should have finished doing dashboards by 2056.

I have just checked the GTR 2 credits. There are well over 20 people listed in it doing 3D modelling and texturing of cars and tracks, not including their bosses etc. They probably worked on that game for about a year and around 80 % of game content was reused from GTR (1) and GT Legends and only improved.
I think this shows that your statement is exaggerated.
I would very much like to wait a few month more for the updated cockpits when they have the same level as the FBM cockpit once they are finished!

About the initial topic question: It comes on waves and it's hard to keep people on something when there's basicly nothing really new. But what matters more to me is a the lack of proper racing these days. It's very hard (a lot harder than it used to be) to find a server running a decent combination which doesn't require some kind of a license to be allowed to drive on (I think with my milage I have plenty of racing skills) or a drift faible... Where are you TBO drivers?
Quote from NotAnIllusion :A bit more considerately, though

True, but aswell you can train on public servers. And what I meant that it can never teach you how to drive real good, since they just will crash, spin and murder you if you get in their way, but, for new drivers there maybe is a use for it.

Quote from niall09 :Well she didn't charge last night

Damn you!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG