The online racing simulator
Quote from w126 :I have just checked the GTR 2 credits. There are well over 20 people listed in it doing 3D modelling and texturing of cars and tracks, not including their bosses etc. They probably worked on that game for about a year and around 80 % of game content was reused from GTR (1) and GT Legends and only improved.
I think this shows that your statement is exaggerated.

Oh, yes, I don't expect him to put out nearly as much work as 20 person would. The fact is though that plenty of people who work as 3D modelers and related matters agree in saying that Eric is particularity slow. Speak to RMachucaA about it, he'll tell you he's like 10 times faster than Eric. -.0

And of COURSE my statement is exagerated, that's the purpose of it.
I don´t think Eric is particularly slow. It´s just that Scawen and Eric needs to work in the same pace. Eric might have modelled twenty new cars and tracks but scawen just cant keep up with physics modelling and balancing and everything else that comes with new content.
I read somewere that the implementing of new interiors will affect the physics wich might be why they just cant put them in there.
Just a thought.
Quote from Hondulu :I don´t think Eric is particularly slow. It´s just that Scawen and Eric needs to work in the same pace. Eric might have modelled twenty new cars and tracks but scawen just cant keep up with physics modelling and balancing and everything else that comes with new content.
I read somewere that the implementing of new interiors will affect the physics wich might be why they just cant put them in there.
Just a thought.

Thats new to me, I belived it just was about some re-modelling and re-texturing. Do you mean it will affect the physics aswell?
It was a while ago i read that so i might be wrong. My main point is that as soon Eric finishes something they can´t just go "hurray" and put it right in the game. Therefore it might seem as if Eric works really slow when in fact they just need new content to be fully integrated and functional with the rest of the game. I probably shouldnt be speculating about this since i know nothing about programming or modelling bot it just seems like normal workflow. The developers needs to be on the same page of the progress.
In the meantime, if players get bored, they can create "which game is most realistic" polls ... For me this was a tough call between the Half Life series, the Far Cry / Crysis series, and the Tombraider series until the latest versions of Tombraider added "jiggle", which makes it the most realistic now.
Quote from three_jump :It comes on waves and it's hard to keep people on something when there's basicly nothing really new. But what matters more to me is a the lack of proper racing these days. It's very hard (a lot harder than it used to be) to find a server running a decent combination which doesn't require some kind of a license to be allowed to drive on (I think with my milage I have plenty of racing skills) or a drift faible... Where are you TBO drivers?

Spot on..
To be brutally honest, even though I'm an LFS fanboy and don't play many other racing games, i agree with Ian on some fronts.

The development has been, how can i put it, slow.

I think the community should come together, make a list of top priority things that need fixing, for example the way a red and white barrier sends you into space. Just the stuff that really makes it not a simulation at the moment.

Once those are fixed and we have the core game to what is a very realistic simulator, we can start addressing the minor bugs.

It seems the developers have been doing this backwards and have not yet even reached the core bugs.

Someone should really do an exclusive interview with Scawen to find out some answers, so we can see where this game is going.
hmm...i kinda agree with Ian too in a sence. Ive not been here long but ive been doing research about the barriers and it seems they have been like this a long long time?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :She'd be paying me, I'm that awesome.

Oh yeah, well, then I just take my charm-face on! Look attachment... **warning** Irony may occure
Attached images
Døddrukken.jpg
I'd hit that.

... with a cast iron pan.
The problem is that up to a certain point, it all comes together. Fixing the red and white barriers is not something you do in itself; it requires the collision system to be fixed, which requires the damage modelling system to be fixed as well. Both of these are probably enourmous amounts of work for both Scawen and Eric.

However, I do agree that the stuff that makes a simulation "not really a true simulation", like that kind of bugs, stuff that is just way out of reality, should weight a lot in the "to-do list" of the devs...
well, in my opinion, the barrier works like the "man cannon" from halo 3....
Quote from mcintyrej :
I think the community should come together, make a list of top priority things that need fixing

That'll never happen. Everyone has a different idea of what should have priority. Democracy simply doesn't work in game development; it has to be left up to the developers on their own to decide what gets done and in what order, otherwise it will go in several different and conflicting directions.

I honestly don't care if the barrier bug ever gets fixed, because I don't drive around with the intent of hitting them. I've driven LFS for weeks and weeks at a time without ever experiencing the barrier bug. Personally I'd rather have development focused on aspects of the sim which most affect my racing experience. The periphery can wait.
Quote from mcintyrej :I think the community should come together, make a list of top priority things that need fixing, for example the way a red and white barrier sends you into space. Just the stuff that really makes it not a simulation at the moment.

Once those are fixed and we have the core game to what is a very realistic simulator, we can start addressing the minor bugs.

So you expect the devs to publish the source code and all other resource files? So they should make the results of many years of work, and the source of their income, available for anyone (including competitors)?

And then you think that some smart guys in the community -- experts in car physics, games programming and 3D modeling -- will step forward, take a good look at the stuff, and solve the problems? C'mon...

Scawen, Eric and Victor are very good at what they do. If these problems were simple to solve, they'd have done so a long time ago.
Quote from wsinda :So you expect the devs to publish the source code and all other resource files? So they should make the results of many years of work, and the source of their income, available for anyone (including competitors)?

Umm, no - I don't think that's what he meant at all. I think he meant that the community decides what needs fixing/improving, and Scavier implement it. It'll never happen this way though, and for good reason.
Quote from STROBE :Umm, no - I don't think that's what he meant at all. I think he meant that the community decides what needs fixing/improving, and Scavier implement it. It'll never happen this way though, and for good reason.

It just doesn't work that way. If they wanted to work that way (being told what to do and when) they could have stayed at Lionhead (I wouldn't like working that way either)
Quote from three_jump :Where are you TBO drivers?

There are often a few of us on gentlefoot.com#3 and gentlefootTDRT
Well, if you are looking for some inspiration we have a yearlong league with real sponsors and prizes such as the G25 Logitech Limited or a TrackIr, etc You can even win your in-game car as a 1:43 model. You can read about the race, prizes and the rules here: http://forum.iemit.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3 You can also sign up to the next race in March at http://forum.iemit.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=36

Two servers in service for the community: feelthere.com (1) and feelthere.com (2). Visit our forum at http://forum.iemit.com/ and tell us which track/car combo do you like and we'll set it up if we get enough requests.
Quote from Gil07 :There, corrected for you.

thanks

I think you will find that if lfs was advertised with real cars and real tracks, it would become more attractive to alot more people.
all I can say is finally the rest of the community is agreeing with what I was being flamed for 12 months ago.
of course development is going to be slow with 3 semi commited creators, I mean not working 100% on this game. 24/7, I dont mean anything bad from this

I think the worst thing was all the promised updates with the latest patch was just all thrown away for an addition of a new car FB, and really the car has no place in LFS, its useless, the FOX is only a smidge faster, and they are both a good battle between eachother, the clucth is useless on it, even just normal racing burns it out.

also there is so much talent on this site, there are awesome skinners, and the high res tracks, and details, those people should be asked to help desing new tracks, and I dont even need to ask them, I know they would love to do it.

the game could improve so so much with the help of some experienced fans. it would speed up development by 300%.
Victor keeps saying we dont want more ppl, because then it wont be built the way we want it built, thats just an excuse really, because in the end he will have the final say, he will say what goes and what stays

I dont know why extra talent hasnt been recruited, the two things I could think of is they are just lazy, or its not a priority for them, and I dont mean this in a bad way, its that they are not consumed by this game, they want to keep this as a hobby not a full time job so to speak, I understand that, but as i said , ask for some volunteers that are experienced, in skinnning, maps, tracks, they can help you guys, the development can continue, you guys can keep the hours down on the development and just have the final say, compiling part to do.

what ever happens things need to be moved forward, you have GT5 out in a months time, which promises to be better the GT4, and if it is alot of people will leave LFS behind if the phisics are improved then thats all people will want, thats the only thing that needed improving was phisics, Iracing is also close, and with the cost involved, im guessing this will be a very very high quality Sim, if thats the case the choice will be easy, LFS wil lbe left behind, then the team will have to play catchup to get them back, thats when weird, risky decisions will be made, development wil be rushed, then the game will suffer, ive seen it way too many times in the MOD world
( I moded desert combat, and BF2)

please LFS commendear us to help you, Im sick of clicking multiplayer, and seeing no race servers, or 1 or 2 people in them, and then being forced to click drift server:banghead:
The day I leave LFS for GT5, will be a very, VERY cold day in hell.

Unless things are improved MASSIVELY from GT5P, LFS has nothing AT ALL to be concerned about.
Quote from seinfeld :all I can say is finally the rest of the community is agreeing with what I was being flamed for 12 months ago.

The rest of the community? Like as a whole? You WISH!
Quote from seinfeld :of course development is going to be slow with 3 semi commited creators, I mean not working 100% on this game. 24/7, I dont mean anything bad from this

My ass you don't. What a complete and utter troll you are.
Quote from seinfeld :they are not consumed by this game, they want to keep this as a hobby not a full time job so to speak

You suck. I mean it, you really suck. God, I hate trolls.
Quote from SamH :The rest of the community? Like as a whole? You WISH!

My ass you don't. What a complete and utter troll you are.

You suck. I mean it, you really suck. God, I hate trolls.

Settle Sam, Settle =)

LIke most people at my work everyone seems to think that everything takes ten minutes and everything is a quick fix. How little do they know...
seinfeld knows what he's doing by saying what he's saying. He's not saying it out of any lack of understanding.. he actually knows the truth but instead chooses, very deliberately, to convey a lie. He knows the devs are totally committed to LFS, and that they don't regard LFS as a part-time hobby, and that's precisely what sparks this reaction from me. I hate trolls.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG