The online racing simulator
Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
#51 - ciph
Explain me why would the shifting happen before the animation?
#52 - Woz
Quote from ciph :Explain me why would the shifting happen before the animation?

I HAVE.

Look at the timeline I posted.

If you dont understand how to read it. One side shows my actions and the other shows the virtual driver actions. The actions are listed when they happen. When there is an action in both sides on the same line it means they happen at the same time. If only one side has an action it means nothing happens in the other side while the action occurs.

Hopefully you will now understand what we have been talking about. You should NOW be able to see that the driver animations LAGS the real drivers actions.

I even edited the timeline to show the event that triggers the animation.
#53 - ciph
Whatever.. real life calls me now
#54 - Woz
Quote from ciph :Whatever.. real life calls me now

Translated... You still dont understand lol
Guys, why can't we just get back to friendly conversations about knobs?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Guys, why can't we just get back to friendly conversations about knobs?

If I go back through some of my mail archives, I can probably get you a huge discount on making one larger, so much so it can apparently hurt the one you care for! (a great selling point )

Regards,

Ian
We had this same problem at work with Ferrari Challenge. Our solution was to make the gear changes really long, up to 0.8 secs in some cases. Hardly the route you wish to go in a sim (where you expect full control).
I still don't think it needs quite that much delay. IIRC, Porsche Unleashed managed it without any major delay to the actual gear changing process.

People with a clutch could get it really easy. Simply move the hand over to rest on the knob when the clutch is engaged, ready for the animation to play when the gear is actually shifted.

The animation wouldn't be as smooth for non-clutch users though. Look at the way some racing drivers change gear IRL. Their hand is barely on the stick for a fraction of a second, they pretty much just flick it with their fingertips. That means you could start the "quick" animation when you change gear and it'd only take a tiny amount of time to play. Could probably be animated in about 8 frames
#59 - Woz
Quote from Dajmin :People with a clutch could get it really easy. Simply move the hand over to rest on the knob when the clutch is engaged, ready for the animation to play when the gear is actually shifted.

The only problem here is if you clutch kick because you will see the hand reach for the shifter each time.

It would also need subtle things like if you are in say the last 100M of a corner the hand should stay on the stick for something like 1 second after a downshift otherwise it will look stupid as you bang down the gears. Keeping the hand on the stick would look more realistic.
why not making it like gtl, move the hand to the shifter when 500 rpm before shifting point?
and only local, dont send this to server, in gpl it works, so why not in lfs?
Because not every car revs 500 up so fast. How would it be with downshift, huh? Other than that, everybody has another shift point i guess, some people want to shift at realistic ones, some shift where the perfect time is to.
dont need this , because driver off wheel off. with wheel i have own hands and wheel why in game need morE ?
Wouldn't make the slightest difference to me as far as playing LFS is conserned. I use 70* fov so I wouldn't see the animation even if it was implemented.

As for the development of LFS. I would much rather have the devs spending time improving the physics / the damage model / the collision system than something as trivial as a virtual hand wanking a virtual stick.
Quote from March Hare :Wouldn't make the slightest difference to me as far as playing LFS is conserned. I use 70* fov so I wouldn't see the animation even if it was implemented.

As for the development of LFS. I would much rather have the devs spending time improving the physics / the damage model / the collision system than something as trivial as a virtual hand wanking a virtual stick.

Nice mature answer there: "Doesn't affect me, I don't care".
I have drivers off anyway, so I wouldn't see it either. Doesn't mean some people don't have them on and would see them.

I think the point of this entire section is to point out things that might not occur to the devs. Physics, collisions, damage models are all standard things for a simulator and will get updated in due course. But recently a lot of suggestions started in this forum have been added. If someone hadn't said it they might not.

Please, if you have nothing worthwhile to add to a debate (or in this case a suggestion) don't waste the time it takes to post.
I will chip in with my 2c here:

I like the way the hand changes gear in GTR2 etc. Never even noticed the lag at all until I read it here. I guess I'm too busy looking ahead into the oncoming corner.

While I agree there is more important things to be done, I think it really adds to the "finish" and immersion of a game anyway.

I'd rather the hand changed gear or there was just no visible hands on the steering wheel at all.
^just pretend that your guy has paddle shifters
You guys do know that you can turn the hands off, don't you?
but then who's sexy hands would I get to admire?

My own?! Bah
how about having the guy have 3 arms? problem solved...

he doesn't step on the pedal when you press clutch? no prob, give him a third leg!
^ Pointless

Zaphod isn't in the game.

And it's Live for Speed. Not Live for Alien

But some of the WR Times would suggest otherwise...
lol, what about the "third leg" idea?(hint hint)
This is a PG forum...
Or are you on about stools?

DK
You mean you're not supposed to be able to use it as a kickstand to hold yourself upright when your legs are sore?

Oops, my bad.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :This is a PG forum...
Or are you on about stools?

DK

yeah, roflolmaoz... sorry, won't mention anything sexual again
#75 - Woz
Quote from Stefani24 :why not making it like gtl, move the hand to the shifter when 500 rpm before shifting point?
and only local, dont send this to server, in gpl it works, so why not in lfs?

Because the car might be geared to not require a change in a corner and you will then see the driver reach for the gears every time in that corner when the gears will not change

Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG