The online racing simulator
Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
Hand Changing Gear
Wouldn't it be cool if when you change gears the driver actually puts his hand down, reaches to the gear knob, and moves it? I think its just a standard feature, which most racing games have, that would improve realistics in the game, sorry if there is already a thread around on it, but just after playing the M3Challenge game, really needs to be put in

Thanks
Harjun
It would always have some sort of lag and it's just eye-candy, first things first!
1) Search

2) See #1

This would be VERY hard to do online. Or offline, due to the animations being very complex, as well as the issue of timing them. And it would add nothing to the simulator IMO, I'd rather the devs took the time it'd take to code that feature in, to work on things that'd improve LFS.

EDIT: And what the poster above me said

DK
oh, ok, but if it didn't have lag, woudln't it be cool though? no lag even on multiplayer for m3 challenge
It's imposible to do animations without lag. Supposing they were done without lag, there's also the issue of timing the animations to shifting gears.

DK
but not if you have a decent computer...why should there be lag?
It would lag for two reasons (this is how I understand it anyway):

1) The animation would begin when the player hits the up/downshift buttons, and it would lag due to that

2) Internet lag.

Edit: Jakg, Tristan, mrodgers, can any of you guys explain it better?

DK
Quote from harjun :but not if you have a decent computer...why should there be lag?

because when you shift gears it needs to happen immediately. but the animation still has to run, so it is going to be behind the physical act of you changing gears.

gtr2 is like that, and it is extremely annoying, especially since i have an H shifter and you know you shifted already, yet you see the hand moving down and shifting again for nothing.

in order for it to work right, LFS would have to predict when you are going to change gear and then have the hand in place JUST as you shift. not going to happen.
oh, i see, but thats just, silly
#10 - Jakg
When you flick the paddle, the hand has to move in to the gear stick and then change gear, so the gear change animation always happens after the actual gearchange - ISI games do this, but they have to lag behind the actual gearchange to make them look reasonable.

EDIT - I can't see internet lag being a problem tbh.

"That's just silly" ...?
/me votes to lock thread
Better to just play the noise but even that lags too.

The solution lies in temporal coding techniques.
What are those?

And why has the forum suddenly taken (to me at least) a Star Trek-esque vogue?

EDIT: Jakg, what I meant by internet lag is that driver A changes gear, the animation plays, but lag comes into the equation

DK
For example, I use keyboard with auto clutch - As soon as i press 'a' to up shift, it shifts up instantly. But LFS could not predict that I was going to shift up, so could not play the animation. If it did predict when I was going to shift up and played the animation, and I didn't - then it would look stupid! It could only start the animation when you have pressed the upshift button. You could get round this by LFS automatically putting the left hand onto the shifter when you are approaching the red-line (or braking, for that matter) then shifting when you press the button. But then people would complain that they could hold it on the red line all day and having their hand on the shifter would be unrealsitic (drifters maybe) Of course, in the FO8 and BF1 (and poss FOX, and GTRs) they could have (in Clarkson's words) 'flappy paddle' gearboxes, and they could move quite easily at the touch of a button?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :
This would be VERY hard to do online. Or offline, due to the animations being very complex, as well as the issue of timing them. And it would add nothing to the simulator IMO, I'd rather the devs took the time it'd take to code that feature in, to work on things that'd improve LFS.

GPL managed to get away with doing this, mainly because it was a very short reach to the shifter and the cars had much slower gear shifts and the hand stayed on the wheel for a short time incase of a second shift. For cars with quick gearboxes and a longer reach the only way to do this would probably be to keep the hand on the gearstick all the time (or just turn the wheel off ) or somehow sense a gearshift, tell tale lifting, slight clutch creep or a more fancy solution of a pressure sensitive shifter. The sequential 'boxes in some cars I have worked on had a pressure sensor that triggered the throttle management process, but that is only a fraction of a second before the shift anyway.
Quote from J@tko :Of course, in the FO8 and BF1 (and poss FOX, and GTRs) they could have (in Clarkson's words) 'flappy paddle' gearboxes, and they could move quite easily at the touch of a button?

Just to be, uhh... pedantic, the only 'flappy paddle' car we have is the BF1. GTRs (currently) use a gated shifter, FO8 and FOX are sequential sticks.
Quote from MAGGOT :Just to be, uhh... pedantic, the only 'flappy paddle' car we have is the BF1. GTRs (currently) use a gated shifter, FO8 and FOX are sequential sticks.

Oh, are they - didn't know that! Surely the GTR's will move to a sequential stick sometime? You don't get DTM/V8 Supercars/Le Mans cars using gaters any more do you?

I wasn't sure of what the cars actually used - I just guessed!
Quote from J@tko :Oh, are they - didn't know that! Surely the GTR's will move to a sequential stick sometime? You don't get DTM/V8 Supercars/Le Mans cars using gaters any more do you?

I wasn't sure of what the cars actually used - I just guessed!

AFAIK, the V8s do and the GT2 classes at Le Mans?

Could be wrong though

DK
i think it would look rather strange if the hand was always on THE KNOB
Quote from J@tko :Oh, are they - didn't know that! Surely the GTR's will move to a sequential stick sometime? You don't get DTM/V8 Supercars/Le Mans cars using gaters any more do you?

Still get some, IIRC the works BMW Nurburgring cars had H pattern 'boxes and some cars competing in other GT championships (such as Britcar) still use them mainly on grounds of cost or driver preference.
I think you'd struggle to find a modern top level car with a H-gate in GT1/GT2 classes or GT500 (Super GT, former JGTC, the big GTRs in LFS are actually more similar with these). But the question is from which year these GTRs in the game are, they obviously look like much older, like late 90's. So H-gate actually could be possible. Scawen needs to decide which one it is when he someday in the next 10 years takes a look at the clutch/transmission simulation...

Most of the GT cars don't even need clutch anymore! At least this applies to Corvette C6R (GT1) and Ferrari F430 (GT2), I guess it's pretty much a standard today.

ps. DieKolkrabe and J@tko: "Le Mans" is not a class, but I guess you meant the GT1 and GT2 cars they run the series and in the 24h race itself? "Le Mans car" most commonly means the prototypes classes (currently LMP1 and LMP2) in general. Since LFS doesn't have similar cars it's irrelevant do they have paddles or not but yes, they have had paddles for nearly 10 years already.
-1... I really wanted to see the guy shift. But then I played DIRT for PS3 and having the guy shift after the car changed gears was really annoying.

three ways this could work. Like the other guy said, automaticly move the drivers hand onto the shifter near red-line.

Have the same thing as dirt, when u hit the button, the car shifts, but the drivers hand isn't in tune with the car.

Third is have acutal lag in the shifting of the car until the drivers hand manually shifts...which would be probably the most annoying thing in the world.

lol, or fourth is to have a super computer that can predict when you are going to shift...

Thinking about it tho.... for the noobs who use automatic, having the drivers hand move to be alot easier...
Quote from Matt0snap :lol, or fourth is to have a super computer that can predict when you are going to shift...

Quite simple, and no super computer needed. We have TrackIR that tracks your head movements for your view. Just create HandIR that tracks your hand so that when you move your had towards the shifter, the animation does the same.

Time for me to develop my HandIR shifter hand tracking system and retire from the millions I'm going to make selling it
Mike, can it also track other hand motions, so I can drive around BL like a gangsta, with my hand on my crotch?
Quote from deggis :I think you'd struggle to find a modern top level car with a H-gate in GT1/GT2 classes or GT500 (Super GT, former JSGT, the big GTRs in LFS are actually more similar with these).

I haven't actually checked specs, but I thought our GTRs were closed to GT3 classed cars? (FIA GT3, SPEED World Challenge GT, etc)

Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG