The online racing simulator
Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
jesus, what is with the people with such strong beliefs against anything that resembles danger? racing is all about risking you life by hurtling through narrow paths of pavement with nothing between you and the asphalt except for a thin sheet of aluminum... and developing the skill to avoid death
#102 - Woz
Quote from atlantian :jesus, what is with the people with such strong beliefs against anything that resembles danger? racing is all about risking you life by hurtling through narrow paths of pavement with nothing between you and the asphalt except for a thin sheet of aluminum... and developing the skill to avoid death

Because if you really do push a car and try to hold the edge of grip on public roads and only have one hand on the wheel that is more than just the problem of the driver.

If you can't see the the risk then you are stupid.

I have said before elsewhere

Track = safe(ish) with sand traps and crash barriers, no traffic coming at you on blind corners.

Road = dead people.

The person in question sounds like this is what he does on public roads. People need to grow up and if you want to push a car GO ON THE TRACK.

Yes racing is about "calculated risk". Driving one handed at speed does not help you win a race BTW, it helps you crash.
Quote from Woz :Please don't say your seat is also low so you can only just see over the dash and your arms are at full reach as well just to hold the wheel.

If you actually really do push your car and only have one hand on the wheel you are asking for a MAJOR smash.

Guess its your life you are playing with. Just hope you don't kill someone that has nothing to do with your stupidity

no, im not some damn thug.

Quote from Woz :Because if you really do push a car and try to hold the edge of grip on public roads and only have one hand on the wheel that is more than just the problem of the driver.

If you can't see the the risk then you are stupid.

I have said before elsewhere

Track = safe(ish) with sand traps and crash barriers, no traffic coming at you on blind corners.

Road = dead people.

The person in question sounds like this is what he does on public roads. People need to grow up and if you want to push a car GO ON THE TRACK.

Yes racing is about "calculated risk". Driving one handed at speed does not help you win a race BTW, it helps you crash.

Who said anything about racing? I don't go around racing everyone like an idiot. Have you any idea how many horrible drivers there are in Florida? like 85%. I am not looking to get my hard work trashed over a civic. While on the highway, or at any decent speed I have my hands on the wheel.

The assumptions you keep making are just making you sound like a fool.
#104 - Woz
Quote from m374llic4 :Who said anything about racing? I don't go around racing everyone like an idiot. Have you any idea how many horrible drivers there are in Florida? like 85%. I am not looking to get my hard work trashed over a civic. While on the highway, or at any decent speed I have my hands on the wheel.

The assumptions you keep making are just making you sound like a fool.

Sorry but was the way you were talking.

Yep, the world has started filling up with the idiot boy racers. Here in NZ we have just as many. Just done a road trip up north and had too many people sit 3mm from bumper down hill with blind corners.

Short fuse day
Quote from Woz :Sorry but was the way you were talking.

Yep, the world has started filling up with the idiot boy racers. Here in NZ we have just as many. Just done a road trip up north and had too many people sit 3mm from bumper down hill with blind corners.

Short fuse day

Its all good pal, I just hate how some of users on this forum tend to jump down someones throat for anything they don't agree with : \

I know how the short fuse goes >_< one of those damn weeks for me as well.
Mmm , just ask , Why dont wanna the gear change stick animation?

Hard code ? , Low Fps ? , Unrealistic ?

I dont get it , should be , because LFS aim to real simulation , so , if aim to real sim , shoul be be the gear stick animation , like the Breake temp , or oil presure or engine temp , and many things

Maybe in the near future do this , or maybe in s3 , but why ppl dont wanna this?

If talk in real life the 60% or 70% of car in the WORLD have manual gears
And race cars (Not all) have to , also sequential or shift pad in the wheel

If you drive a automatic car and you dont wanna this , is your problem because LFS is Real Car Simulator
#107 - Woz
Quote from Inouva :Mmm , just ask , Why dont wanna the gear change stick animation?

Hard code ? , Low Fps ? , Unrealistic ?

I dont get it , should be , because LFS aim to real simulation , so , if aim to real sim , shoul be be the gear stick animation , like the Breake temp , or oil presure or engine temp , and many things

Maybe in the near future do this , or maybe in s3 , but why ppl dont wanna this?

If talk in real life the 60% or 70% of car in the WORLD have manual gears
And race cars (Not all) have to , also sequential or shift pad in the wheel

If you drive a automatic car and you dont wanna this , is your problem because LFS is Real Car Simulator

Its not people don't want it its more working out how to make it happen when you change the gears and not after you change the gear, otherwise it looks a little daft.

There will be lag between when you change and when the virtual driver changes gear, Its how to minimise that lag.

Most techniques require prediction of when a change is most likely but then this creates situations where the driver will reach for the stick when gear change is not required.
Use past laps as a base for the animation, so when on a first lap, it'll be shit, but every lap, it slowly adapts to the combo and creates nicer animations?
... i think i know how grand turimso did the animation... the 4 "action buttons" that the sixaxis has is pressure sensitive, the animation can be fast, but the thing is it starts when the player starts to press on the button, there might be some retarded glitch, like when you swipe your finger across the top of the button, but hey, that's okey...

and i think it would be great, if we have the animation kick in when the clutch is ~75% engaged
Quote from Woz :Lots of wise words

...What do you expect when they give a driving license to a 16 years old children?
Don't generalize, some 16 year olds are decent and responsible drivers.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Don't generalize, some 16 year olds are decent and responsible drivers.

Indeed, some. But not all of 'em. Heck, imho age for driver license should be around 22-25. I have seen so many recless 18 years old that it makes me feel sick.

Same with alcohol and tobacco (And much tighter control, meaning bigger penalties to those who sells 'em to minors).

Call me an old fashioned, but this is my opinion how I can turn this world a better place to live...
I still dont get it , WHY is so hard to do this

In some game the have the animation and i dont see the LAtency or lag or drop fps , is juts simple to do i think , only move the arm when you press your (boton) to change the gear , is not big problem

If other game can do it , why is so hard to do here
Quote from Inouva :I still dont get it , WHY is so hard to do this

Erm... Its taken how many years to throw together a few GTR interiors? I wouldn't hold my breath for this if I were you...
Quote from Inouva :In some game the have the animation and i dont see the LAtency or lag or drop fps , is juts simple to do i think , only move the arm when you press your (boton) to change the gear , is not big problem

ARGH!

PLEASE READ the thread. You've TOTALLY misunderstood.
Quote from Jakg :ARGH!

PLEASE READ the thread. You've TOTALLY misunderstood.

i read all , basicaly , dev need change the animation of the driver to create a new can fit all (steer and change gear)

Sorry if i slow to undertand this , but understand all this in english and think in one answer in english is not to easy

Can exprees better if talk in Spanish =/
Quote from Inouva :I still dont get it , WHY is so hard to do this

In some game the have the animation and i dont see the LAtency or lag or drop fps , is juts simple to do i think , only move the arm when you press your (boton) to change the gear , is not big problem

If other game can do it , why is so hard to do here

@Inouva i don't think you get the situation here, we are saying that there will be a time frame from which your character has it's shift hand off the wheel and reaching for the shifter... It's like the reload animation in an FPS...

waiting for that animation sequence may be acceptable with Counter Strike players, but it's not acceptable in racing

since, we want realism and we are all moving so quickly, anything(the essential controls) that we have to wait for(that is important) will cause a crash... and your brain knows you have to shift at the end of a straight, and you will subconsciously reach for the shifter with your hand, and when you think "shift" you will do it, that is why there is no wait for you to shift after you think it.

Here's a solution:
a)if you insist on having the animation and you are a keyboard or game pad gamer, strap a "brain scanning" helmet on and the animation will initiate when you think it.

b)if you don't care for glitchy "flicking-of-the-hand-towards-shifter" animation whenever you kick the clutch, then just have the shift animation be linked to the clutch.

c)the best solution by far, just have a nose view of the car, with nothing except for the car displays(tach and speedo) floating(no wheels); and have a steering wheel set in real life!
Well , sorry i never discuss this type of tread any more
#119 - Woz
Quote from Inouva :Well , sorry i never discuss this type of tread any more

Don't worry. I think the problem is more you appear to have seen the word LAG and assumed it means something different than the context it is used here. We do not mean there will be an effect on your net connection or that it will effect your FPS.

The CPU power required to play the animation of the arm moving is tiny and will not slow down anything at all.

Most people that have questioned what we are talking about say, whats the prob. Just play the animation when you press the gear change button. Yep that is simple and easy to do.
The trouble is that when you press the button the gear changes but then the animation will start. So you will feel all the effects of the gear change and after that has happened you will watch the arm reach for the gearstick and change the gear.

The situation is worse for those of us with H shifters because we will move our arms to the shifter, change gear and as our arms move back to the wheel the drivers arms on screen will be moving to the gear stick.

By lag me just mean the animation of the driver changing the gear will happen AFTER the gear has changed.

Does that help
well, does my post sum everything up? btw, GT5 just has the hand go to the shifter when it's a probable shift point, so like, you go below 3k, hand on, you go above 6.5k, hand on. you can just randomly shift around, but the glitch doesn't matter.
Quote from Woz :Don't worry. I think the problem is more you appear to have seen the word LAG and assumed it means something different than the context it is used here. We do not mean there will be an effect on your net connection or that it will effect your FPS.

The CPU power required to play the animation of the arm moving is tiny and will not slow down anything at all.

Most people that have questioned what we are talking about say, whats the prob. Just play the animation when you press the gear change button. Yep that is simple and easy to do.
The trouble is that when you press the button the gear changes but then the animation will start. So you will feel all the effects of the gear change and after that has happened you will watch the arm reach for the gearstick and change the gear.

The situation is worse for those of us with H shifters because we will move our arms to the shifter, change gear and as our arms move back to the wheel the drivers arms on screen will be moving to the gear stick.

By lag me just mean the animation of the driver changing the gear will happen AFTER the gear has changed.

Does that help

I see now the problem

One option be , toggle the animation "on or off" if you wanna see that or not
^not really, because, then the people with animation off will have an advantage...
Quote from atlantian :^not really, because, then the people with animation off will have an advantage...

What advantage ?

Is just for eye candy
don't you remember what we have been saying?

the animation is only extra filler delay of animation before the gear change is actually initiated...

with animation on:[touch button]["i reach for the shifter"][gear change]

with animation off:[touch button][gear change]
Quote from atlantian :don't you remember what we have been saying?

the animation is only extra filler delay of animation before the gear change is actually initiated...

with animation on:[touch button]["i reach for the shifter"][gear change]

with animation off:[touch button][gear change]

This vid explain what you say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-3S_RfOBuM

sorry if i am slow to understand =(

Hand Changing Gear
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG