The online racing simulator
Quote from w126 :There is something I don't understand here. What do you need to add to model gyro forces once you have rigid body dynamics (as described in some of these papers http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/sigcourse/index.html) implemented?

the tyres arent rigid bodies if they were you wouldnt see all those curb coliision issues
jusging by how they act in lfs theyre just point masses with some rotational inertia which should be good enough for a car sim
But you can still use rigid body equations of motion for wheels but treat them as something simpler for the purpose of collision detection. However, I agree it's possible that wheels are modelled as point masses (particles) with additional one-dimensional rotation.
yay the nkp site has been updated with a new download link to ... wait for it ... another rapidshare type site ... one that wont even load on my pc
Quote from Shotglass :yay the nkp site has been updated with a new download link to ... wait for it ... another rapidshare type site ... one that wont even load on my pc

i could be wrong but that mirror 1 (teambrd.co.uk directlink) seems new to me and not the other one?
hm now that youve said it i think youre right ... didnt even see the mirror link at first since i somewhat assumed they would put the proper dl link on top
my fault entirely for applying common sense to the nkp site
I think it is teh weekly update...
kunos has appeared on the netkar pro forum and the main website has updated the news page, it turns out they are looking for 3d artists for track design...............
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
I'm surprised you're still following this so closely deggis! Seems like you've still got the faith...
I really have given up on it...don't even mind the 30+ euros I bought the game anymore...

Even when it comes out, sometime, I'm pretty sure I'll run a test quickly to see if it's still that buggy, and close it down quickly...because it will be. To correct the countless serious bugs you have to work a lot on them and frankly he doesn't sound like he is...Saying that he's working on Netbike on his spare time just shows how much he doesn't care about Netkar Pro. It's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard.

As for the claims from Jaap that the game is much better etc, I can't trust a man that's already nuts enough to play this game on a daily basis. Maybe he's got the ''magic'' combination of hardware that doesn't show up most of the problems? Ffs, with the last patch I lost sound!!!

Kunos just makes Scawen look so good...
Quote from Paranoid Android :I'm surprised you're still following this so closely deggis! Seems like you've still got the faith...

i havent even paid for it and have no intention of ever giving a single cent to kunos and yet i still look at the netkar forum on rsc every day
its a lot like the motorcycle accident on the motorway with a 100 metre long trail of blood and brains all across the road that you just cant take your eyes away from
Quote from Paranoid Android :As for the claims from Jaap that the game is much better etc, I can't trust a man that's already nuts enough to play this game on a daily basis. Maybe he's got the ''magic'' combination of hardware that doesn't show up most of the problems? Ffs, with the last patch I lost sound!!!

Kunos just makes Scawen look so good...

Can't argue with that last statement.

Jaap is partly correct. It is a lot better in some ways but there's a lot to be sorted out still. I wouldnt hold your breath, i know I'm not.

I still find the "magic combination of hardware" funny though. I've obviously had the "magic combination" on two very different systems, and everyone i know who installed it had the "magic combination" as well. I must be a good luck charm
Quote from The Moose :I must be a good luck charm

Having seen the other end of the stick, yes you probably are. I can't describe how poorly nK ran on my old rig (Athlon XP 3000+, 1GB memory and a Radeon 9800 PRO, well within minimum requirements). I had in the region of 0.3 seconds of steering lag, which made any kind of driving more of less impossible. Add to that unstable FPS, crashing and the horrible online experience and you start to get the picture.
Quote from wien :Having seen the other end of the stick, yes you probably are. I can't describe how poorly nK ran on my old rig (Athlon XP 3000+, 1GB memory and a Radeon 9800 PRO, well within minimum requirements). I had in the region of 0.3 seconds of steering lag, which made any kind of driving more of less impossible. Add to that unstable FPS, crashing and the horrible online experience and you start to get the picture.

Probably shaders, that was for me when I had similar machine.
Quote from JTbo :Probably shaders, that was for me when I had similar machine.

Quite possible. Never did try to turn them off as FPS was okay once it stopped fluctuating. Anyway, that computer is in a box in the basement so it doesn't really matter any more. Not that it's running shockingly well on my new one...
Quote from wien : Not that it's running shockingly well on my new one...

What system are you running now?

It's flawless on my Athlon64 3200+ with a gig of ram and a 6800GS.

(not that it helps you, sorry)
Core 2 Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB memory and a Radeon HD3850... Could be an ATI thing. I get these strange FPS drops when for instance crossing the first hill at Aviano. It's big enough to annoy me, but still playable. Steering lag is also a lot more prominent than in LFS and gets worse when the above mentioned FPS drop happens, but still a lot better than on my old computer.

EDIT: Upon further inspection the FPS drop happens at random intervals as I drive. It's not at a specific point around the track. FPS drops from a steady 300+ down to ~40 (according to FRAPS) for a few seconds and then goes back up.
Quote from wien :Core 2 Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB memory and a Radeon HD3850... Could be an ATI thing. I get these strange FPS drops when for instance crossing the first hill at Aviano. It's big enough to annoy me, but still playable. Steering lag is also a lot more prominent than in LFS and gets worse when the above mentioned FPS drop happens, but still a lot better than on my old computer.

EDIT: Upon further inspection the FPS drop happens at random intervals as I drive. It's not at a specific point around the track. FPS drops from a steady 300+ down to ~40 (according to FRAPS) for a few seconds and then goes back up.

Hmm, very odd. On my pile of crap i have it locked at 60fps and it stays there.(drops to 40 on a full grid) No steering lag at all.
I only ever saw steering lag on my old system when it dropped to around 25fps.

I dunno, I just can't get NKPro though, I need the AIM display for me to be able to give it a good try. Not knowing how fast I'm going or which gear I'm in throws me off far too much than it probably should, but it's the real huge thing in the demo that annoys me.
It's certainly far from flawless on my XP3600+, with 4GB ram, X850. At the 'standard' tracks I'm lucky to get more than 20fps, and at Monaco I get about 2fps.

And that is without shaders. Half the values with them. And the draw distances & detail sliders are LOWER than default.

And it's not the rest of the system, which runs ANY game, from LFS to The Sims 2 to Half Life 2 (with HDR) to whatever game I try at AT LEAST 50fps.
My old system was useless too.....
Athlon 3000xp 1gb ram and a 128mb 5900xt.

BUT now i've got a Q6600, 3mb ram and a 8800gt it runs a dream!!

The demo is great, i've got used to not worrying about the gear indicator and revs, just driving by the sound. Got to be honest the scatzzo (or whatever its called) sounds cool, especially blipping down the gears.

I'm almost at the point of wanting to buy it!
However, I think i'll hang on.
For me if I want to drive nkpro I need to use the lowest graphics settings to get the steering lag bearable. It is just plain awful, especially when you compare it to LFS which has basically no steering lag whatsoever.

---

Personally I've finally dropped nkpro from my list. As it looks now with all that shit and more shit with MMG nkpro is imho nothing more than a joke that never delivers. Up to that mmg post I had the vision that the 1.03 patch might come some day in the next 10 years but I don't believe anymore. I would be totally surprised if any nkpro patches ever appear. No hillclimbs, no new tracks or cars, no nothing.

Kunos seems to be 100% focused on getting nkpro perform well with his commercial customers and this means that he does some little coding for nkpro on his free time. I can translate this to: nkpro is his freetime hobby project. After netbike, I might add . That then translates that Kunos has understood that he will not get anymore money from nkpro from individual customers (simracers) so he has fully focused on getting his money from companies, like brd, marangoni tyres (?) and some F-something teams. Imho, it is dead-end for nkpro, the whole situation is hopeless. Why would he develop the public version of nkpro any further - all it does it just adds up to the workload and makes no money.

EDIT: Gef7800gt, AMD64 3500+, 2 gigs ram, win xp.
I'm not going to try sticking up for Kunos. Impossible after the way he's carried on.

All i will say is that there is progress being made on the patch at the moment, the question is whether he will actually finish the job this time.

Quote from mrfell :The demo is great, i've got used to not worrying about the gear indicator and revs, just driving by the sound.

Yup ,whilst it would be loads better with the AIM working (which it will be in the next demo, whenever that may be ) just the feel of the driving was enough to convince me to buy it.

I hadn't fired up nKPro for months until a few days ago, and i instantly fell in love with it again. One huge plus point over LFS is the tracks aren't smooth as glass. That's why i think I've always found LFS lacking in the FFB department, the lack of any feeling of bumps. Driving a stiffly sprung open wheeler should not be a 'smooth as silk' experience. South City is the only place with lumps in the road.
Is the new download link dead, or is it something on my side?

I tried it with opera and firefox.
Quote from The Moose :One huge plus point over LFS is the tracks aren't smooth as glass.

Yeah, I do like the grittyness of the FFB. I can't help but think it's just a bit of noise added to the "real" output from the physics engine though. The tracks can't really be modelled with that kind of fidelity, so I just have to assume the grittyness is added after the fact. Either that, or there's some noise added at the tyre physics stage to simulate the roughness of the tarmack, which would be a good thing I guess.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG