The online racing simulator
Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
Since when is stating facts, bragging?

:hide:
So show up 15 minutes or so late. That's what I do most of the time I go to the cinema.
Quote from amp88 :...and people wonder why there are so many movie pirates out there!
Quote from Jakg :About "I Am Legend" - ... it came out on Boxing Day, but it's been on my desktop (:razz in DVD quality since Christmas Eve,

You wouldn't steal a handbag...

One thing I miss about living in Liverpool is the little arty cinema at FACT where the seating is all two-seater couches. Like watching a film at home.
#30 - Gunn
I haven't been to a cinema in many years. No way am I going to give my money to a company that charges $40000 for a packet of chips and a small Coke.

The ads go for too long, the audio is turned up just enough to cause permanent hearing damage, the seats are uncomfortable and the staff are ugly and rude. And if you try to have sex with the cute girl in the back row they throw you out. WTF is up with that!?! :sadbanana
I don't know what to really say about the adverts, because when watching tv and the adverts come on, when watching a good program/film, it really pees me off, thats why I like watching the BBC the most because you staid concentrated on the program, but in a cinema I think they should put a few breaks in, because when needing the toilet it is nice not to miss any of the film and those chairs aren't exactly very comfortable.
#32 - Jakg
No-one likes ads, but we get ad-free shows on the BBC thanks to TV Licensing. We get ads on ITV, Channel 4 and Five, but we accept that we get to watch these channels free, and so we put up with ads.

When i pay £5, i don't expect to watch ads. Especially not as i can buy a DVD of a film (albeit not a film that came out a few days ago) for less than £10 (which means it's CHEAPER than the two tickets), watch it at home and have no ads.
Ads-in-cinemas are just picking up around here - we only got Coca-Cola last month after all (great ceremony and everything - our premier was out on the airstrip to greet the first shipment). But what bugs me the most (apart from in-theater yacking by fellow patrons) is the break in the middle of the film which is considered mandatory around here. Man, do I hate that.
Quote from Jakg :No-one likes ads, but we get ad-free shows on the BBC thanks to TV Licensing. We get ads on ITV, Channel 4 and Five, but we accept that we get to watch these channels free, and so we put up with ads.

When i pay £5, i don't expect to watch ads. Especially not as i can buy a DVD of a film (albeit not a film that came out a few days ago) for less than £10 (which means it's CHEAPER than the two tickets), watch it at home and have no ads.

We don't actually get ads for free because a TV License isn't exactly cheap for what they are, something around £200,plus you sometimes have to pay a bit extra for what extras you may have, because they have a few option now, I like the way they still have a black and white tv listed.
Quote from ajp71 :I did walk out of the cinema once when the stopped the film half way through to sell ice creams.

Those were the days, the mini cinemas that only had one projector so they had to switch reels halftime (and sell candy/icecream in the pause)

I stopped going to cinema, last time a girl answered the phone (luckily for both of us she wasn't within reach) they spoiled all the suprice plot twists in a movie I was about to see later in a trailer, some kid kicked the seat row infront of him loudly whenever the movie was too boring, and I couldnt pay with card.
Quote from Jakg :When i pay £5, i don't expect to watch ads. Especially not as i can buy a DVD of a film (albeit not a film that came out a few days ago) for less than £10 (which means it's CHEAPER than the two tickets), watch it at home and have no ads.

All of the DVDs sold here are packed full of movie trailers first. Since my DVD player has no controls on the unit it's self, and my remote we believe was mixed up with Christmas wrapping scrap and tossed out a few years ago, I'm stuck watching all the ads, LOL.

My DVD is a DVD/VCR combo and I can't find a cheap universal remote that works on DVD/VCR combos.
Quote from heson :Those were the days, the mini cinemas that only had one projector so they had to switch reels halftime (and sell candy/icecream in the pause)

I stopped going to cinema, last time a girl answered the phone (luckily for both of us she wasn't within reach) they spoiled all the suprice plot twists in a movie I was about to see later in a trailer, some kid kicked the seat row infront of him loudly whenever the movie was too boring, and I couldnt pay with card.

A good projectionist doesn't need to stop the film to change wheel. They changed them multiple times in that first half. The half time show is to get you buying more snacks, and these days you only really see them in children's movies, as it is a sure thing that half way through the movie those little rats will want something to eat.
TBh, I think American television is the worst. When I was there on holiday, I would watch the odd episode of the Simpsons/Baseball/whatever. The ad breaks are disgraceful, they are like 5 minutes long, and there are around 3 breaks in a half an hour programme.

I went to 2 movies tonight... I Am Legend and National Treasure book Of Secerts they are both amazing movies...but the boring part is the dang advertisment..I timed them both and they were 30 min long
I miss Drive-ins...

Yeah, I hate the three hours of commercials they put on before the 15 minutes of previews of movies that suck that come on before the 90 minute movie that's as plotless as the warning sign, in spanish, about leaving cell phones on that's projected on the screen when the lights are on.
Quote from Racer Y :I miss Drive-ins...

Yeah, I hate the three hours of commercials they put on before the 15 minutes of previews of movies that suck that come on before the 90 minute movie that's as plotless as the warning sign, in spanish, about leaving cell phones on that's projected on the screen when the lights are on.

You don't have drive-ins anymore? Wow we have about 2 or 3 around me but their quite a drive but they are nicewhen you sit up close in front or back in the back not even watching the movie *winks*
Quote from niall09 :TBh, I think American television is the worst. When I was there on holiday, I would watch the odd episode of the Simpsons/Baseball/whatever. The ad breaks are disgraceful, they are like 5 minutes long, and there are around 3 breaks in a half an hour programme.

Ha! I wish there were only 3 commercial breaks during a half hour broadcast. And I record most of my stuff on DVR and watch it later. I have a 30 second fast forward button and I hit it 7 times to get through a complete commercial break. So, it's actually 3 and a half minutes exactly for a commercial break. This works on everything I watch other than hockey games. The hockey game breaks are always 1:30.
#43 - Gunn
Quote from Gunn :I haven't been to a cinema in many years. No way am I going to give my money to a company that charges $40000 for a packet of chips and a small Coke.

The ads go for too long, the audio is turned up just enough to cause permanent hearing damage, the seats are uncomfortable and the staff are ugly and rude. And if you try to have sex with the cute girl in the back row they throw you out. WTF is up with that!?! :sadbanana

I completely agree. 100%

But for some reason I still go, because I can just about put up with the silly ticket prices, the silly drink/food prices, the silly length of adverts (some of which are quite amusing), the uncomfy seats, the ugly, rude staff, and the silly volume, because the films ARE [marginally] better on the big screen with proper surround sound and bass that no home-cinema system could match.

Out of all the above, it's the volume that annoys me the most. Why oh why do they need to be so loud. Is it because young people are generally too stupid to understand that quite noises are good too? It completely ruins the effect when your deafened by gun fights, but also when a pin drops.
I hate the cinema, but I do still go there...very rarely...like once a year. I must admit when I am there I enjoy the adverts, mainly because its fun taking the piss out of them.
well i hate em, their about banana's (true), monkeys and drinks :s
for bout 20 min or so, then a frog tells to be quiet :s
wich remembers me, after the ads, the add from the frog came, every1 was silent except 2 people, i turned around and said: didn"t you hear the frog? he said to shut up for cryin out loud!
those people didn't knew what to say so they shut up
other then that cinema costs me 6€
2€ for a drink, 2.50€ for a small bag of potato chips
and snacks r +3€
then we have a luxury cinema wich is 7€
5€ for a very big cola (2 liters i think)
wich is still alot to pay, the adds r less, but sound and picture doesn't allways match
The only cinemas I don't like are the really big ones (CinemaXX in Germany). The small ones with only one screen are quite nice i think. Not more than 5€, drinks and stuff for a normal prices (big box of Pringles for 1.50€)

And the picture is way better than on tele ore even beamer.

But of course these small cinemas care a lot more for their visitors. I remember once in our local cinema they restarted Lord of the Rings (3) after ~5 minutes because some people complaint that the picture wasn't sharp enough. They rewinded, readjusted and started the movie again.
Quote from ACCAkut : I remember once in our local cinema they restarted Lord of the Rings (3) after ~5 minutes because some people complaint that the picture wasn't sharp enough. They rewinded, readjusted and started the movie again.

That was the last film i saw a the cinema. The picture was so poor compared to watching at home that i never went again.
Quote from mrodgers :Ha! I wish there were only 3 commercial breaks during a half hour broadcast. And I record most of my stuff on DVR and watch it later. I have a 30 second fast forward button and I hit it 7 times to get through a complete commercial break. So, it's actually 3 and a half minutes exactly for a commercial break. This works on everything I watch other than hockey games. The hockey game breaks are always 1:30.

The NFL coverage in the UK is rather odd (not that I can watch it ATM, Channel Five has disappeared :tilt - during every timeout (that includes change of posession timeouts and the other ones), they cut back to the studio somewhere in London because no-one wants to advertise in it

I don't bother going to cinemas. There's always the people eating loudly and the fact that it's probably cheaper to eat five pound notes. And the fact that there's few films that I actually want to see, anyway.
Quote from Jakg :WHAT?! I paid £5 (per person) as a student rate - It's £7 for an adult

That is expensive, cinema by me is £5.30 for an adult, reduced to £3.50 for a student and buy one get one free with vouchers off the internet so £1.75 per ticket

I could go through the trouble of downloading a film or getting an illegal copy another way but to be honest with the cinema being that cheap then I just go the cinema. Also as someone complained earlier about seats uncomforable etc, it is a nice cinema, comfortable seats, usually about 10 minutes of adverts and unless it is the first couple of nights a big film comes out, relativly empty

Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG