The online racing simulator
Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Rant - Cinema Adverts
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Went to watch a film today, and although the film "starts" at 4:15, the film didn't start until 4:45.

That's 30 minutes of adverts, which i have to pay £5 to get in and watch. On TV for an hour and a half show, you'd expect 6 ad-breaks of roughly 3 minutes each, which works out as 18 minutes of adverts. You would then get to watch the thing for free (if you've have a TV License and a telly, but 95% of the country do). Seeing as ITV can afford to do a lot of Films, and they know that most people concentrate less or leave the room to get a drink or whatever during the adverts, yet the Cinema company (Cineworld in this case) have you sitting in a chair looking forward and concentrating on a screen (as theres little else to look at in a dark room) showing ads for half an hour, they must be bloody raking it in.

Using the 3-minute ad break example (was testing a new watch, and was timing the ad-break on the Sci-Fi channel - and yes i know how sad that sounds!), for 30 minutes of ad's, that would be enough for 150 minutes of program, aka 2 and a half hours!

The picture isn't amazing, and the audio isn't exactly stellar (to be fair it wasn't an action film, and i don't need my dialogue in 5.1 with lots of bass). What did i spend £5 on, other than to see it a little bit earlier...?

</RANT>
#2 - amp88
I went to see I Am Legend on Boxing Day. Being a premiere, it was basically full but because we got there 15 minutes before the advertised start time we got decent seats. Even so, we had strangers on one side and the aisle on the other. The film actually started about 8:35 (so we spent 50 minutes sitting waiting for the ads to start then for the film to start). The guy directly infront of me was tall so I had to keep looking round his head. The people behind me were nudging my seat (unintentionally I think, but still annoying) and they were talking about the film through it. The film was terrible and it cost just under a fiver. The petrol to drive to and from the cinema probably cost about £5 too. The only good thing was that because I paid for the tickets in advance we didn't have to queue.

...and people wonder why there are so many movie pirates out there!
Last time I went to the cinema it was to watch Emo-Man 3, and the best part of the night was when the smart buggers used something to ring everyone's phone to reminds us to turn them off. What I HATE more than anything at the cinema is the sound (and at times smell) of other people eating. Good god that is always enough to make me want to leave. If you're going to eat in public learn how to chew quietly.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from amp88 :The film was terrible and it cost just under a fiver.

WHAT?! I paid £5 (per person) as a student rate - It's £7 for an adult. Damn our Cinema must suck (i say "our". It's about 20-30 miles away, Ipswich - the one nearest to me is crap, and takes about 4 months to get a film as it's released, has terrible sound and picture (ie my PC is better) quality, and is small and expensive.

About "I Am Legend" - One reason why i hate the UK (or companies attitudes towards the rest of the world), it came out on Boxing Day, but it's been on my desktop (:razz in DVD quality since Christmas Eve, and i could of got it sooner if i want. The only advantage a cinema has is "see it first" (Which is now gone in a way), a better Sound+Picture (which i find debateable - the picture looks a bit... odd, and while the sound is good, i wouldn't have to hear over hundreds of people eating pop-corn and talking at home) and "the atmosphere".

Is that worth a fiver to me? Not really...
#5 - amp88
Yeah, we got student tickets (my student card is out of date but the two other guys I went with have valid cards). Since we booked online we never had to actually show our student cards anyway, so I suppose anyone could get student tickets.

You don't need to tell me about getting movies before they're out in the cinema...I do have an extensive 'Power Rangers' collection remember (click)
What? You mean you guys go to the movies when you're not on a date? No wonder you hate it so much.

#7 - Jakg
Quote from MAGGOT :What? You mean you guys go to the movies when you're not on a date? No wonder you hate it so much.

Suprisingly that was the reason i was there, actually...!
Quote from MAGGOT :What? You mean you guys go to the movies when you're not on a date? No wonder you hate it so much.

You take girls to the cinema for a date? That is just shooting yourself in the foot, cinema is for when you're going out and/or house mates and you have nothing to do. But the suck is so sucky it is usually easier to just grab a DVD and watch it at home.
Quote from amp88 :I went to see I Am Legend on Boxing Day. Being a premiere, it was basically full but because we got there 15 minutes before the advertised start time we got decent seats. Even so, we had strangers on one side and the aisle on the other. The film actually started about 8:35 (so we spent 50 minutes sitting waiting for the ads to start then for the film to start). The guy directly infront of me was tall so I had to keep looking round his head. The people behind me were nudging my seat (unintentionally I think, but still annoying) and they were talking about the film through it. The film was terrible and it cost just under a fiver. The petrol to drive to and from the cinema probably cost about £5 too. The only good thing was that because I paid for the tickets in advance we didn't have to queue.

...and people wonder why there are so many movie pirates out there!

Quote :I saw it last week for free; three days before Christmas..didn't have to queue, sat in my comfy chair watching it in 5.1 surround sound on a 50" widescreen TV.
Had somebody to bring me a beer whenever I wanted one..didn't have to stand around waiting for tickets..didn't have to fight for a parking space, didn't sit through ANY adverts, didn't get wet on the way home...

Signed...

Bluebeard the Pirate

Yep...I can see exactly what you mean
I did walk out of the cinema once when the stopped the film half way through to sell ice creams.
Quote from Jakg :Suprisingly that was the reason i was there, actually...!

So why were you watching the adverts?

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You take girls to the cinema for a date? That is just shooting yourself in the foot, cinema is for when you're going out and/or house mates and you have nothing to do. But the suck is so sucky it is usually easier to just grab a DVD and watch it at home.

A pub is better for that Movies and a meal is sorta the typical first "date." Admittedly my "dates" are usually a pub or just wandering aimlessly downtown for an afternoon. Not really dates, though, I guess.

Quote from ajp71 :I did walk out of the cinema once when the stopped the film half way through to sell ice creams.

They still got your money. Should have asked for your money back, and some free icecream.
Quote from Jakg :About "I Am Legend" - One reason why i hate the UK (or companies attitudes towards the rest of the world), it came out on Boxing Day, but it's been on my desktop (:razz in DVD quality since Christmas Eve, and i could of got it sooner if i want. The only advantage a cinema has is "see it first" (Which is now gone in a way), a better Sound+Picture (which i find debateable - the picture looks a bit... odd, and while the sound is good, i wouldn't have to hear over hundreds of people eating pop-corn and talking at home) and "the atmosphere".

Is that worth a fiver to me? Not really...

Going to a cinema avoids breaking the law...
Cinema rips you off.. thats why i am actually fairly happy to get the £11 per month Unlimited card at Cineworld (previously UGC) One thing i always do though is aim to get in the cinema / to my seat 20 mins or so after the announced start time... Although i have often left it later than that and timed it perfectly for the Turn off your phone ads .

So just add an extra 20 mins on for the start time and then there is nothing to complain about...

Wouldn't bother going if it was going to cost me 7 - 8 quid every time i went. As long as i see 2 films i get my moneys worth... Tend to miss a few months out and end up seeing a bulk of good new things around spring / summer...

as for taking women to the cinema.... what don't people like about that? Dark room. plenty of other noise close quarters.... need i go on?
Quote from MAGGOT :A pub is better for that Movies and a meal is sorta the typical first "date." Admittedly my "dates" are usually a pub or just wandering aimlessly downtown for an afternoon. Not really dates, though, I guess.

The aimlessly wandering is the best way to go, then when you're hungry go grab a bite to eat, then continue the aimless wandering. No distractions so you can just enjoy each others company and talk about whatever.

Quote from franky500 :as for taking women to the cinema.... what don't people like about that? Dark room. plenty of other noise close quarters.... need i go on?

I am one of a rare breed that likes to communicate with a woman, and you can't do that in a cinema. It is fine if you're 12, but really it isn't a place you take someone for a date.
Haha, yeah we sit for 20 min watching stupid ad's that they replay the same 5 ads the whole time...the only good thing about the theater here we have reclinable seats and the arm rests move so we can lay down while we wait for the ads to be over . I take my gf to the movies all the time when I have the money. But other than that I sometimes wait that 20 min walking around our mall then go in and watch the movies..
#16 - SamH
The day they tell you to turn off your phone and stop talking BEFORE they show you the ads.. that will be the last time I go to the cinema, for sure.
Quote from Jakg :Suprisingly that was the reason i was there, actually...!

Jack, I thought we told you not to go on dates with John!

I'm disappointed in you...
#18 - J.B.
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. I always ask for the actual start time of the movie when I buy the ticket and then I spend my time outside with the people I'm with instead of watching the adverts.
#19 - JJ72
Quote from P5YcHoM4N : But the suck is so sucky it is usually easier to just grab a DVD and watch it at home.

when we get home we are already too busy doing the sucky.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The aimlessly wandering is the best way to go, then when you're hungry go grab a bite to eat, then continue the aimless wandering. No distractions so you can just enjoy each others company and talk about whatever.

Damn right.

Quote :I am one of a rare breed that likes to communicate with a woman...

I as well. Why is it we get screwed over?

Quote from scoobyrbac :...the only good thing about the theater here we have reclinable seats and the arm rests move so we can lay down while we wait for the ads to be over.

Now that's just not fair. I want a reclinable seat in my local theater.
Quote from MAGGOT :
Now that's just not fair. I want a reclinable seat in my local theater.

#22 - aoun
Dont know about you guys, but in Australia, the ads always go for about 20mins before the movie. Sometimes 15, even 25. But roughly 20mins. Good sometimes incase im late .
#23 - Jakg
Quote from franky500 :
So just add an extra 20 mins on for the start time and then there is nothing to complain about...

Except this film was a sell-out - i bought tickets in advance, and when i turned up at the Cinema they had sold out anyway. As such, there would have been no seats to choose from.

FTR this wasn't a date per se, it was my GF's Birthday and she wanted to go to see a film, so we did.
Jakg, you failed. You're supposed to take her to your room and "show her a film"...

Wait, your GF ain't named Sarah... :hide:
#25 - SamH
Stop bragging, Dustin

Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG