The online racing simulator
And this is how clutch burns IRL, for reference.

But I really think this is not correct place for that as it is not a bug, but more like feature that would perhaps need refining.
Quote from Stigpt :If you put in a gear with manual gear and clutch, then lift the clutch veeeeeeeery slooooooooowly, the car starts accelerating by itself (as in, it presses the accelerator pedal by itself).
Basically, the THROTTLE is still exibiting the same behaviour as in patch X - just the clutch isnt.

umm, it's supposed to do that... real cars, if you are really percise with the clutch, you can take off withought pressing the gas AT ALL!

Unless you mean that the bar graphs show the throttle axis move when you are not pressing the gas pedal....
Quote from EeekiE :I don't get how people are melting clutches? I can rag the arse of a H-box on a G25 and get nothing more than 2 pixels of heat, or is that what people mean? I tried flat-shifting and stopped toe-heeling and then it soon shot up, but that's how it should be I think. It's another thing to learn.

I know how to shift. I know how to heal toe. It is not a problem for me. I was using proper technique while testing this, trust me.

It could be something to do with the clutch pedal travel that I have compared to a G25. I use ECCI pedals and they are quite a bit bigger, more stout and have longer pedal throws.

Edit: And I think it is a bug, not a feature enhancement. It (in my opinion) is not working as expected. It is a good feature overall, it just has a few glitches to work out.
Quote from AndroidXP :Not a bug. Merely an effect of the ECU (or a mechanic effect within the engine) opening the throttle to try and keep up idle RPM. The same thing happens in LFS X10, but there the auto-clutch kicks in that prevents stalling, so all you see is the clutch and throttle bar jumping up and down rapidly.

I agree, BUT, the fact that it will go almost WOT is pretty strange... If real cars worked like that you wouldn't need the loud pedal to start out! I can see some small amount of throttle opening, but it's too excessive as it is right now IMO.

While we're talking about physics, the engine takes WAY to long to shut off after you kill the ignition. It's like there's no compression, it's just a rotating / reciprocating mass slowly coming to a stop and it's odd.
Quote from yoyoML :Let's just conclude it as an "idiot proof" feature, that is not mechanically required. Same goes for requiring clutching to start even in neutral.

All cars I've driven, too, required only turning to "start" to run the starter motor. No clutch needed starting in neutral, either. But it does make sense to artificially require turning to "off" then to "start", and maybe plus pressing the clutch to a) avoid using starter when engine's running and b) avoid driving the car with the starter.

The thing about having to press in the clutch to start the car. How many of you drive? IN cold climate, a lot of times, if you leave the handbrake on overhight, it will stick... which is a bitch... so A lot of people, including me, put their car in gear instead of yanking the parking brake. Then, as you get in late for work, sometimes the fact that you left your car in gear is the LAST thing on your mind, so you start your engine, and DOH! Ah, of yeah thank god for that feature, just saved my ass! So you clutch in, start the car, and pull away, no bent bumpers and higher insurance costs. I actually like this feature in real cars quite a lot. It's simple, and does a lot more than ABS will ever do for me.
Quote from Hallen :I know how to shift. I know how to heal toe. It is not a problem for me. I was using proper technique while testing this, trust me.

It could be something to do with the clutch pedal travel that I have compared to a G25. I use ECCI pedals and they are quite a bit bigger, more stout and have longer pedal throws.

Edit: And I think it is a bug, not a feature enhancement. It (in my opinion) is not working as expected. It is a good feature overall, it just has a few glitches to work out.

It could very well be that. When I said I couldn't understand why, I wasn't advocating rubbish drivers, I was saying I couldn't understand why as on my G25 pedals it seems to work fine, even allowing a fair few cock-ups. Maybe Scawen uses G25 pedals and optimised it for them?
Quote from Mako. :umm, it's supposed to do that... real cars, if you are really percise with the clutch, you can take off withought pressing the gas AT ALL!

That depends quite a bit on the car's weight, power, and gearing. Taking off with no throttle in my wife's car would be tricky indeed because it's overly heavy and underpowered.

Quote :Unless you mean that the bar graphs show the throttle axis move when you are not pressing the gas pedal....

That seems to be the case here.
Quote from Hallen :I know how to shift. I know how to heal toe. It is not a problem for me. I was using proper technique while testing this, trust me.

Ok, I saw this for the third time now, so I'm sure it's not a typo: it's spelt heel toe.
Heal toe is only needed when you stub it
Quote from March Hare :About starting the car after a stall.

After a stall the ignition is ON but the engine isn't turning. So you need to turn it with the starter motor. You have to turn the key BACK to turn the ignition OFF before you can use the starter motor.

Most normal cars have had this double start prevention for several decades. It's there to prevent you engaging the starter motor while the engine is running.

Try it with your own car. Stall the engine and try to start it without turning the key back. If your car is working properly it shouldn't start. Only after you have turned the key back a notch or two will it be able to start again. Another test is to try and start the engine while it's already running. I don't recommend doing this as it can damage your starter/starter pinion/the teeth on your flywheel.

Well, me mom's 2003 hundai you CAN engage the starter motor when the engine is running. Maybe most European higher end cars, like audi, etc have this, not japanese or american.
Quote from Cue-Ball :That depends quite a bit on the car's weight, power, and gearing. Taking off with no throttle in my wife's car would be tricky indeed because it's overly heavy and underpowered.

it's called an idle control valve, and it's operated by the ecu. it isn't intended as a "driver aid", but it is meant to keep the engine idle steady, and when the revs dip below the normal idle point for whatever reason (environmental conditions usually), it will make an attempt to keep the revs up by opening the throttle a little.
Quote from evilgeek :it's called an idle control valve, and it's operated by the ecu. it isn't intended as a "driver aid", but it is meant to keep the engine idle steady, and when the revs dip below the normal idle point for whatever reason (environmental conditions usually), it will make an attempt to keep the revs up by opening the throttle a little.

Some cars don't have it, electric motor control throttle butterfly and ecu controls electric motor based on program, drivers just uses throttle pedal to make a wish.

This is type LFS cars seem to have. Check FZ5 traction control, same thing happens, you keep it floored and green bar decreases, not a bug, imo.

Still I fail to see how we are helping Scawen to pinpoint bugs here?
So the clutch isn't working properly, ECU works too well and flywheel is made from plastic?
Regarding the clutch, "flat shifting" used to cause the tires to spin when shifting to second gear in the LX6, now the clutch slips instead, that might be realistic, but most cars I have ever driven have no problem making the wheels spin a bit when "flat shifting".
Quote from Cue-Ball :That depends quite a bit on the car's weight, power, and gearing. Taking off with no throttle in my wife's car would be tricky indeed because it's overly heavy and underpowered.

OH... ok... lol. The thing is, this one guy was bragging about how he could do it, so I went out to my dad's F150 truck and gave it a try... and it worked!

It has a 4.2 liter V-6.. no idea on weight, but it's a full size truck.
Quote from Stigpt :No its not. I dunno what kind of car you have, but when I get it going without touching the accelerator (which I regularly do), my ACCELERATOR PEDAL does NOT strat depressing by itself...

The little motors on your throttle butterfly controlled by the ECU will maintain idle regardless of what you want though, and naturally should be fully open before an engine stalls. This is standard on all cars with modern fuel injection systems (including most race cars).

Quote from matt_tighe :
The auto-clutch is not used enough on downshifts. This causes the transmission to lock up upsetting the car (felt more on the FOX that the FBMW which is ok).
It does not feel natural to blip the throttle when using paddle and having no clutch pedal but I appreciate that the sim is technically accurate.

The clutch isn't used at all on down shifts in a sequentially shifted car you have to put a manual throttle blip on if you want to keep the rear end from locking up.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :[OT]Actually, maybe a set of "drift" tyres wouldn't be a bad idea? They're available IRL (obviously not called drift tyres, I forget the name) [/OT]

Real drifters use semi-slick tires because they look cool and make lots of smoke, really naff old tires would go sideways with less power, last far longer and be cheaper but who said the drifters got all the brains

Quote from EeekiE :I don't get how people are melting clutches? I can rag the arse of a H-box on a G25 and get nothing more than 2 pixels of heat, or is that what people mean? I tried flat-shifting and stopped toe-heeling and then it soon shot up, but that's how it should be I think. It's another thing to learn.

Exactly you've got to be trying (not just driving badly) to really have any issues.

Quote from JTbo :And this is how clutch burns IRL, for reference.

But I really think this is not correct place for that as it is not a bug, but more like feature that would perhaps need refining.

Anybody else notice a high proportion of Americans burning clutches given the low proportion of US cars fitted with one? Equally how retarded have you got to be to sit revving your engine for 30 seconds not realising the smoke is coming from your transmission tunnel rather than tires :doh:
Is it impossible to turn off autoclutch with keyboard? If it is, then i'd call that a bug.
Trucks are generally geared lower than passenger cars. And much lower than race cars, which often need higher gearing to hit top speed. Many race cars are notoriously difficult to drive away from a standstill because they have peaky engines, grabby clutches, and relatively high gearing. Just look at Richard Hammond trying to drive an F1 car. He stalled it 8 times straight.
Quote from Mako. :OH... ok... lol. The thing is, this one guy was bragging about how he could do it, so I went out to my dad's F150 truck and gave it a try... and it worked!

It has a 4.2 liter V-6.. no idea on weight, but it's a full size truck.

Slip the clutch slowly enough and you should be able to do it in any car, I suppose with very careful control one could do it with a racing clutch and a peaky race engine, you'd likely burn the clutch out trying though and wouldn't be able to be sensitive enough. In a normal road car it's not hard, you can easily feel the bite point of a clutch although it's mechanically far better to start off with more revs and slip the clutch less.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Trucks are generally geared lower than passenger cars. And much lower than race cars, which often need higher gearing to hit top speed. Many race cars are notoriously difficult to drive away from a standstill because they have peaky engines, grabby clutches, and relatively high gearing. Just look at Richard Hammond trying to drive an F1 car. He stalled it 8 times straight.

An F1 car is completely different to anything else though because apart from a racing clutch you've hardly got the torque to pull away at revs most engines would have gone bang trying to reach, then you've got to take into account you're trying to do that with a tiny paddle movement and you can soon understand how much short of a racing start would be virtually impossible without a lot of practice.
Quote from ajp71 :Anybody else notice a high proportion of Americans burning clutches given the low proportion of US cars fitted with one? Equally how retarded have you got to be to sit revving your engine for 30 seconds not realising the smoke is coming from your transmission tunnel rather than tires :doh:

Roughly the same "retardation level" as misreading "10" as "30", and failing to think what % of that 10 seconds had passed before any smoke arrived.

When trying to be a smartass, don't forget the smart part, because that just leaves you looking like the rest of the word. I would also bet both balls (not just the left one) that Eric would destroy you on any track, virtual or otherwise.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Roughly the same "retardation level" as misreading "10" as "30", and failing to think what % of that 10 seconds had passed before any smoke arrived.

When trying to be a smartass, don't forget the smart part, otherwise you look like an imbecile.

Yeah these tires take a while to get going but then you get a proper ceramic burning smell and lots of smoke in the cockpit and then if you're lucky some flames :doh:
Exactly. Tire smoke isn't generated immediately, neither is clutch smoke. As soon as some smoke was even noticed, a quick glance at the speedo indicates the bad news. No smoke inside, just noticed it coming up by the side windows.
Quote from ajp71 :An F1 car is completely different to anything else though because apart from a racing clutch you've hardly got the torque to pull away at revs most engines would have gone bang trying to reach, then you've got to take into account you're trying to do that with a tiny paddle movement and you can soon understand how much short of a racing start would be virtually impossible without a lot of practice.

Yes, of course. It was just to illustrate a point. I remember one of the races that I watched not long ago (LeMans series, I think) and the drivers were complaining about a rule that they could not spin their tires coming out of the pits. Everyone was up in arms about it because even though they have very powerful cars, the clutches are so grabby that it's difficult to take off without either stalling or spinning the tires. To get away without doing either, they risked burning up the clutch and being out of the race.

I would love to see LFS model this behavior (but we'd need fixed longitudinal grip or the change would be worthless).
Quote from ajp71 :

Anybody else notice a high proportion of Americans burning clutches given the low proportion of US cars fitted with one? Equally how retarded have you got to be to sit revving your engine for 30 seconds not realising the smoke is coming from your transmission tunnel rather than tires :doh:

What proportion of US cars do not have a clutch? Are you referring to automatics? I can't think of a car that doesn't have one.

My old Nissan Sunny automatic had TWO clutches - one for forwards and one for reverse.

BUG REPORTS : Physics
(287 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG