The online racing simulator
Quote from DanielC :
Pressing F12 it just says [no] and I can't find how to change it ...

Press the Left / Right arrows on your keyboard.
Quote from gishuk :not liking the new clutch and shift thing

shame the auto-lift on upshifts couldnt be left in for those of us without clutch pedals

I really don't understand how the lack of a clutch pedal means you can't lift your foot (the OTHER foot at that) of the loud pedal for a bit?
hm how do you guys feel about bringing back the old paddle shift behaviour which disengages the clutch for as long as you hold the paddle?
with the current autoclutch blipping and lifting is hit and miss as you dont have any control over the clutching
Quote from tristancliffe :I really don't understand how the lack of a clutch pedal means you can't lift your foot (the OTHER foot at that) of the loud pedal for a bit?

It just feels pointless lifting your right foot when you aren't pressing in a clutch pedal at the same time. You just look like an idiot trying to clutch it.
Quote from kurent :For me not having a speedo is like driving blind. When I'm learning the track I try a corner at 100: safe, 105: safe, 110:grass, 107:safe. And I ALWAYS prefer digital over analogue except for the rev counter for some strange reason.

Try and adjust. I used to do just that, and having readjusted, I'm much faster, more consistent and even my race craft has improved because I'm not concentrating on what speed I'm going but rather going as fast as I can given the surroundings and conditions. You'll see that soon you'll be enjoying LFS much more.
Quote from BlueFlame :It just feels pointless lifting your right foot when you aren't pressing in a clutch pedal at the same time. You just look like an idiot trying to clutch it.

Lifting your foot from the gas pedal is perfectly imaginable wheather you have clutch pedal or not
How can something that has a point be pointless?.

It has nothing to do with the clutch, lifting the throttle is unloading the transmission making it possible to change gear.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about.............
Quote from danowat :How can something that has a point be pointless?.

It has nothing to do with the clutch, lifting the throttle is unloading the transmission making it possible to change gear.

I really can't see what all the fuss is about.............

You obviously have a clutch pedal then
I do, however, I am a lazy S.O.B. and still use autoclutch,
Quote from danowat :I do, however, I am a lazy S.O.B. and still use autoclutch,

The fact is, race cars have auto-cut upshift boxes anyway... At least if the FBM doesn't Scawen can change it so the other cars do, like the GTR's....
Quote from BlueFlame :The fact is, race cars have auto-cut upshift boxes anyway... At least if the FBM doesn't Scawen can change it so the other cars do, like the GTR's....

Don't understand your prob. Some racecars have ignition-cut on upshift some do not have. Same in LFS. The FBM doesn't has ignition-cut in reallife. So you just have to lift the throttle to unload the transmission for an upshift. This definately has nothing todo with clutching?

Don't get your point!

Greets,
Warper
Well afaik considering there is only clutch damage and not engine damage, i find this 'perk' very distracting and annoying, sure i can cut the throttle on upchange and still do with X10, but why should it mis-gears constantly just because i was 1.millisecond off or so? This is a game, and at the end of the day, my if my steering is done electricly and lightningly fast, why cannot my gearchanges be?
Quote from kurent :For me not having a speedo is like driving blind. When I'm learning the track I try a corner at 100: safe, 105: safe, 110:grass, 107:safe. And I ALWAYS prefer digital over analogue except for the rev counter for some strange reason.

IRL you can't just go the "same" speed on turn-in everytime. Conditions of the track, tires, weather are constantly changing. You have to adjust. LFS is slowly coming away from the robotic hot-lap racing, and becoming more dynamic. I suggest you try and adjust accordingly.
Quote from axus :Try and adjust. I used to do just that, and having readjusted, I'm much faster, more consistent and even my race craft has improved because I'm not concentrating on what speed I'm going but rather going as fast as I can given the surroundings and conditions. You'll see that soon you'll be enjoying LFS much more.

What kind of attitude is that? I've been playing LFS for almost 2 years, now I'm forced to change how I drive because its more 'realistic' how my speed is displayed? :rolleyes:

I'm trying to like this new approach of LFS but I'm finding it difficult, at the moment I dislike the test patch but I'll give it more time and see how it goes.
why cant i use reverse tracks in demo?
But otherwise
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Seemed fitting...
does anyone else find it "unnatural" that you have to press shift up again for each gear in the f-bmw ?
since its supposed to emulate pulling back on the sequential lever anyway i think being able to constantly hold the shift up button and lifting every time youd like to shift would be more like youd do in real life
Quote from BlueFlame :It just feels pointless lifting your right foot when you aren't pressing in a clutch pedal at the same time. You just look like an idiot trying to clutch it.

second that. IRL you'd only do this when shifting without clutch (at least it works on bikes).

Quote from [RF]-art555 : Lifting your foot from the gas pedal is perfectly imaginable wheather you have clutch pedal or not

yeah, for braking and decelerating.

Quote from Warper :Don't understand your prob. Some racecars have ignition-cut on upshift some do not have. Same in LFS. The FBM doesn't has ignition-cut in reallife. So you just have to lift the throttle to unload the transmission for an upshift. This definately has nothing todo with clutching?

I totally see the "unload the transmission"-aspect. but having a clutch you'd cut the throttle anyway not to hit the limiter or whatever. having NO clutch at all like in a tiptronic-car, it FEELS totally unnatural.

Quote from BlueFlame :This is a game, and at the end of the day, my if my steering is done electricly and lightningly fast, why cannot my gearchanges be?

some people might say "because it's supposed to be realistic - it only changes gear as fast as you're able to..."
but I support your point of LFS being a game: IMHO it has to FEEL realistic, because it can never BE realistic. the strange gearchange-behavior we have now when using paddles for h-shifted cars feels totally incomparable to any gear box in any serious car.

the old tiptronic-like behavior was perfect for a PC-based simulation: the software did what you couldn't decently do with your clutch- and shiftlever-less steering-wheel... and for a powerful start you had the button-clutch.

I mean, we could also take out the steering-compensation so G25 will remain the only choice. Logitech will be thankful.

I understand that at the moment the clutch-heat-feature would be quite pointless when "tiptronic" is activated... but then again I wonder if clutch-overheating is really such an issue in RL compared to brake-overheating for example.
I was actually not planning on chiming in here, but I can't help but getting really annoyed by this constant bickering about having to manually cut the throttle on upshifts. It is more realistic, frigging easy and almost impossible to misshift if done properly. I bet all formula bmw drivers do it in rL without feeling stupid at all. And no, I don't have a clutch pedal.

Also, since this has been brought up, on the big GTRs and on the FOX you don't need to cut, because those sequentials have ignition cut.

Geez, people get over it, just because you're used to use LFS in an unrealistic manner, doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to adjust now that it becomes more realistic. No matter what kind of lame excuses you think you've found.

And further more, we'll sooner or later get engine damage. Will you then still insist that LFS should do the driving for you, because you're too stubborn and lazy to use it properly?

rant over.
Quote from axus :Try and adjust. I used to do just that, and having readjusted, I'm much faster, more consistent and even my race craft has improved because I'm not concentrating on what speed I'm going but rather going as fast as I can given the surroundings and conditions. You'll see that soon you'll be enjoying LFS much more.

Well the thing is, I (think ) I am fast, consistent and emm...race crafty and have no problem looking at the speedo, it's just a quick glance down there and if it's a digital you really can just take a little peak and you know the speed. Maybe that doesn't work for you, but then again your way doesn't work for me.

It sounds crazy that we are making such a big deal of something like this, but for some of us it really is a big problem now.
Quote from Rooble :What kind of attitude is that? I've been playing LFS for almost 2 years, now I'm forced to change how I drive because its more 'realistic' how my speed is displayed? :rolleyes:

I'm trying to like this new approach of LFS but I'm finding it difficult, at the moment I dislike the test patch but I'll give it more time and see how it goes.

The attitude of someone willing, and better yet, keen to adapt to new challenges? Of course the extent of the changes is pretty much proportional to the challenge: if you're turned away by your speed being displayed differently, what will happen when you can't stay in someone's slipstream for more than a few laps because of you radiator overheating? Or setup options being limited to a realistic range? If you're turned away by such a small adjustment, might as well quit now.
Quote from Warper :The FBM doesn't has ignition-cut in reallife.

From what I hear they are adding it for the 2008 season - SOURCE - http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102639.

Not saying it should change though (throttle cutting isn't really an issue for many people when blipping is).

It's rather interesting (not wrong) that the UFR and XFR have H patterns though. Clio Cup cars (on paper rather similar to the UFR but have a bigger engine in a lower state of tune) gave a stick sequential (not sure if ignition cut), all S2000 and BTC-T touring cars apart from some BMWs have stick sequentials and (oddly) SEAT Leon Supercopa cars (the new 2 litre turbo ones) have paddle shifts. Older Supercopa cars (the 1.8 litre Toledos) have H patterns though.

Interesting, but not wrong (unless they are based on any of those classes). Not that I mind, I don't drive them much.

Quote from Stefani24 :why cant i use reverse tracks in demo?

There's an easy solution to this.
Quote from Linsen :
Geez, people get over it, just because you're used to use LFS in an unrealistic manner, doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to adjust now that it becomes more realistic.

to put it in your words: I can't help getting really annoyed by people claming a new feature realistic just because it's harder to handle.

do you really want to say that pulling a flappy-paddle just a tad after you release throttle and have some funny autoclutch in between to shift up is more realistic than having a system that works exactly like a tiptronic (which basically does electronically what a good driver would do manually)?

well then, i'm out of here.
-
(duke_toaster) DELETED by duke_toaster : Stupid double post. Sorry guys.
Quote from Bandit77 :
I totally see the "unload the transmission"-aspect. but having a clutch you'd cut the throttle anyway not to hit the limiter or whatever. having NO clutch at all like in a tiptronic-car, it FEELS totally unnatural.

But even if you have a clutch (and you have one in the FBM) you wouldn't use it for upshift! There is no difference at all in having a clutch or don't have a clutch if it comes to upshift in the FBM. Am i stupid? Or is it just the language prob

Thanks... Linsen. Totally agree!
This thread is closed

TEST Patch X30 (to X38)
(1444 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG