The online racing simulator
Yup, Sinbad sums it all up pretty nicely, nuff said as far as I am concerned
does everyone REALLY care about the AI?
Quote from KSheppard :does everyone REALLY care about the AI?

The only reason I care about the AI is because Scawen has stated that he wants it done and finished and usable. If he wants AI in his sim, and the sim isn't to progress much until it has decent AI, then I'd like to see it done so LFS can move on to other things.

Other than that, I could care less about AI. I've used AI only in the unofficial benchmarking replays, and I think I got on an AI only server where everyone had their AI battling it out. Actually, that AI only race was a hoot to sit back and watch while we were all able to sit and chat and belittle each others AI drivers. (But then again, since I'm American, I guess I couldn't get much of the humor....)

I guess.. but we're forgetting the LFS for the biggest part is an online racing game (at least, that's what most of us do)... and who need AI when racing online?
Of course, I too would like to see the AI updated (at least the pit thingy, cos' the AI can't pit).. and other stuff too.. but from were I see it, any update whatsoever would be nice just to see LFS is still alive and kicking!
I guess it might be good to be able to start a server with 25 cars, all AI untill someone shows up, then 1 AI gets removed for that player untill they leave then the AI goes back out...their would then be no less than than 25 cars ever.

But I guess you'd have to request to take over for the AI so they could pit (oh ya they can't pit ) - first real driver gets the first place AI, next real person gets the 2nd place AI...hmm this means you'd have to actually pit so the AI could go out (no more telepitting)
if we had good AI i wouldn't mind seeing them on online servers to fill out the field
Quote from UncleBenny :if we had good AI i wouldn't mind seeing them on online servers to fill out the field

Agree with you on that.
They could work as an replacement for drivers if the field was short on drivers.

Nah, I don't. I wouldn't mind (or even notice) if they were removed completely.
As much as the devs interact with the community (which is almost unheard of), I don't think they're going to read a thread and decide to change what they're working on or move up a deadline to get a feature out the door.

Like most people, I played the demo, saw what else I could get if I bought a license, thought is was worth the money, and bought it. I still think it was worth the money. Any new content or updates from the time of purchase is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Sure there are lots of thing I'd like to see added. They've already been suggested in the "improvement suggestions" thread, so I keep quiet.

I don't, I never use it, and have no interest in using it.

However, it just occurred to me why it may be in LFS' long term interest to get the AI sorted sooner, rather than later.

One area where LFS lacks, currently, is in North America. It's common to hear people from there mentioning the lack of online activity during their timezones - there's no denying LFS is very Euro-orientated. And the AI is currently pretty unuseable, so there's no LFS for them in NA. But give them working (and good) AI, and you'll build an offline community of LFS racers in North America. When the offline players reaches a critical mass, an active online community will begin to form that could rival that of the European time zones. Obviously, North America is a huge sales market, and it can only be good for LFS in the long term to tap into it. Having revamped AI is like a first foothold in building the product's appeal in North America.
Quote from mrodgers :(But then again, since I'm American, I guess I couldn't get much of the humor....)

Well, it is highlighted when you mention it.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Just to be clear, I don't care about content because I agree with you on that point. More would be better, but I'm not hung up on tracks or cars at all. I am bored of not having to worry about braking issues, engine damage, better suspension damage, engine temps / rad damage, locked diffs and other stupid setup issues, poor longitudinal slip behaviour, incomplete aero and so forth. Those things would revolutionize the content we already have, and the racing experience. There are not enough things to worry about compared to real racing. I would rather play the XFG at BL1 with those things, and rather have consequences for curb hopping, rear stabbing, wall banging kamikaze "racers" with 5 balls unlike now where too much goes unpunished. I should have to worry about brakes during MoE. You can always obsess over one single thing in any circumstance, that doesn't just apply to LFS. Shotglass' fabulous quote comes to mind right about now

My point wasn't and isn't lame, it's in fact a waste of time to try and master tire physics that still aren't done, simply by definition - especially with a locked differential all the time.

Yep, i agree totaly BBT, my post was towards people asking for content just for the sake of content... the people who say, i am bored of that track and that car while they are not even within 50% of their capabilities there...
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :firing the LX6 around S04R with the G25 at 720deg in full manual mode after a few Guinness... It's just so freaking fun, and the most lifelike driving experience I've ever had on a PC.

Someone call the cops! We have a drunk driver
Basem knows all about it
The poor guy...
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yep, i agree totaly BBT, my post was towards people asking for content just for the sake of content... the people who say, i am bored of that track and that car while they are not even within 50% of their capabilities there...

well, there are also racers who don't have the time and motivation to become the perfect driver. there are people who get bored by combinations quicker. people are different. also, if you, like me, don't like monopostos, frontwheeldrive and lots of downforce, there aren't that many combinations possible. everytime i played lfs the last months, i just wanted to be entertained, i really didn't care about being the fastest. more content would be nice, just to experience something new. it wouldn't be a problem if i have to pay for it.
With such a discussion you take the devs every fun of working on the project away...
Quote :
more content would be nice, just to experience something new. it wouldn't be a problem if i have to pay for it.

I'd gladly pay the full price again to run,
1) Spa
2) at night
c) in the rain
Quote from mrbogeyman :Someone call the cops! We have a drunk driver

someone ask for a cop? I'll track him down in my FZ5
I think the main problem is not necessarily the lack of content, in the form of new tracks and cars. The fact that there have been no updates to the physics or in other parts relevant to game play, in a year and a half. A year ago i would of thought there would of been a lot more improvement by now.

If one person is doing the programming and another is doing the modeling and tracks. i don't think is unreasonable for the team to release a track or a car.

i don't think its too much to ask for like a WIP letting the community know what your working on.
Quote from lalathegreat :I think the main problem is not necessarily the lack of content, in the form of new tracks and cars. The fact that there have been no updates to the physics or in other parts relevant to game play, in a year and a half. A year ago i would of thought there would of been a lot more improvement by now.

If one person is doing the programming and another is doing the modeling and tracks. i don't think is unreasonable for the team to release a track or a car.

i don't think its too much to ask for like a WIP letting the community know what your working on.

The only problem is your own attitude towards LFS. Most of the other people on this forum don't have a "problem". You've not even paid for the game so just walk away if you don't like how things happen - it's not going to change. As a matter of fact, considering the amount of things that have thrown LFS off course (need for Vista compatability for one), development has been coming along just fine. With any luck, there won't be much more of that to come.
Of course everyone can "walk away" from the game if they don't like the way it's being developed, but the reason most people strive for improvements and additions to the game is simply because they like it very much.

I can't see whats wrong with wanting to improve something that you like.
All of us want improvements (at least I hope so ), but what "annoys" me is that every few month comes a thread like this around and we start the whole discussion again and again and again. Sure physics updates would be nice, or some new content but we are not the persons to decide about what we get and that's it. ("LFS is not a democracy" )

I guess Scawen has a long to do list and works it to the bottom step by step or his inspiration on what he feels like to do / finish. And at some point all the small (minor) things have to be done to make the game easy to use and provide all the small things we have now. I prefer that than having an uber hardcore sim which is a nightmare to use or where I still don't even know how to set up my wheel properly
when i first started playing the game. i thought ok only 4 real tracks, but hey its 3 people. I thought maybe well i guess instead of waiting until its complete they can release as they go. 2 years later virtually the same content. I am getting the feeling that they won't be any new cars or tracks in S2.
Quote from sinbad : - and I also have a slight annoyed feeling (now that I'm thinking of it) about how other (to my eyes) easy changes are yet to be made - like the pit-stops and strategy systems, despite being requested years ago.
I remember how pit stops were a large part of the S2 boast at launch - to help sell licenses perhaps, but what about the people who have paid and are actually using the software? We have to "make do" with something which is so limited and in some ways laughably flawed that it's half-baked at best.

What exactly are you pointing at, Sin? How are they flawed and easily changeable? Any detailed infos?

Cheerio, old buddy

LFS nothing new for long time!
(419 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG