The online racing simulator
I love the way, people seem to think just because there is only 3 dev's, that they are allowed to take all the time in the world. If they want to make money, they will need to work very fast indeed.
^
right!
-----------------------

Guys what going on here?
Meeting?

(If what, i readed all posts.)
But that is the thing - they aren't making LFS to 'make money'. It currently, apparently, covers their costs and allows them to live happily, and allows them to work at their pace. If you don't like that work ethic, then LFS isn't for you in the long term.
Quote from BlueFlame :I love the way, people seem to think just because there is only 3 dev's, that they are allowed to take all the time in the world. If they want to make money, they will need to work very fast indeed.

I love the way, people seem to think just because LFS is a software product, that the dev's main goal is to make heaps of money.

In fact it is not. Sure the money is also a factor, but the main goal is to create a realistic and accessible racing simulation. Just listen to the recent interview with Victor that was done by SRT.
The goal is more along the lines of enjoying the development process and sharing it with people I think. The journey is no less enjoyable than the finished game will be. Plus, as I see it, a challenger is yet to come along and dethrone LFS anyway.
Ahhh.....complatency, just because nothing has challenged it yet, doesn't mean nothing ever will.

As for added content, it has been a long time since something decent (i.e. car/track) was added, sure we had the BF1, but IMO it's not a decent car for racing, it isn't really a lot to ask for new content.

It does become very apparent when you are looking at combo's to run in leagues, we have had the same combo's for years, I guess you can't be suprised that people are getting a little tired with them after so long.
if development is slow to the point where no new people are buying, or people are leaving the game(which ultimately hurts the overal game). They won't be able to live off that lowered income.
They are not sharing their selling. without all of you who bought the game, it would not be possible
Think it more as a hobby which the Devs have let us join in with that turned into a viable cottage industry, rather than a large scale multi-million pound marketing concept. The Devs owe us nothing and we have no right to demand anything from them at all, we've easily had our £24 back and more besides with the product we've already got.

But maybe it's indicative of this fast food generation that we live in now. We always want more and more and we want it right now, and if we don't get it we'll scream and scream until we're sick !

Don't misunderstand me though, i'd love more content etc just as much as the next guy, but patience is a virtue after all
Quote from lalathegreat :if development is slow to the point where no new people are buying, or people are leaving the game(which ultimately hurts the overal game). They won't be able to live off that lowered income.
They are not sharing their selling. without all of you who bought the game, it would not be possible

That's just the point. There ARE new people buying the game, the devs are living happily, developing LFS to be what they envision it to be and enjoying the process. And that's enough for them and (most of) us. If you don't like it, go play something else.
Why is that all people can say 'if you don't like it play something else'
The point is, NOBODY here likes the slow development we all want new things, so in your terms Axus and AndriodXP, that means nobody should play LFS. Which proves me and Lalathegreat correct.
Quote from BlueFlame :The point is, NOBODY here likes the slow development we all want new things, so in your terms Axus and AndriodXP, that means nobody should play LFS. Which proves me and Lalathegreat correct.

Do i wish LFS was developed faster? Yes, who doesn't

Do i dislike the fact it's developed slowly? Not really.
for me the speed of development in lfs is a huge disappointment. the development till the first release of s2 alpha produced much more interesting content in a short time.

especially the lack of graphical updates (new tracks,new cars) are a reason why i am bored of lfs at this time. it's still the best sim out there. i just wish that the devs accept help from talented modders/trackbuilders to spice up lfs a little. e.g. there is still no decent rallycross car in lfs....(i don't get the point of rx-tracks without a rx car).

i think it's sad that such a good gameengine with so many opportunities isn't used as it could be.
Quote from BlueFlame :Why is that all people can say 'if you don't like it play something else'
The point is, NOBODY here likes the slow development we all want new things, so in your terms Axus and AndriodXP, that means nobody should play LFS. Which proves me and Lalathegreat correct.

Do I wish we had awesome physics, hardcore racing mode with most of the HUD stuff stripped, 64 car netcode, etc. etc. Yes. Am I patient enough to wait for it? Yes, because I have a meaningful life which takes over when I get bored of LFS. Furthermore, Scawen is free to do things the way he likes, and as long as he gets enough money from LFS, everything will be fine. One day, I'd also like to work on something I want to work on without feeling pressure or being rushed - it's the way society should be, and could be, if there were more people like Scawen (or at least more patient people) instead of more people that want everything, now.
Quote from BlueFlame :so in your terms Axus and AndriodXP, that means nobody should play LFS.

Wait what? When did I say that
Quote :One day, I'd also like to work on something I want to work on without feeling pressure or being rushed - it's the way society should be, and could be, if there were more people like Scawen (or at least more patient people) instead of more people that want everything, now.

I agree with Axus. Really, I think that most people are able to wait for the good stuff, but the promise of seeing LFS evolve beyond what it is now is quite tantalising, and admittedly sometimes frustrating- especially if you're closely following development. We know LFS is different from other games because we have a fairly close relationdship to development that 99% of other games don't allow. A typical game maybe worked on for years (much longer than LFS) before anyone ever gets a chance to experience it for themselves. That's why things seem slow here sometimes- because the next development patch is always just around the corner.

Impatience can be viewed in both negative and positive ways. Sure- it could be seen as an effort to nag and rush the devs, but on the other hand many people are simply saying that they are hoping to see some new stuff and are excited by the work that they're doing. Hopefully, the devs don't read too many of these threads, as I think they're more for us than for them, but if they do, I hope they interpret what's written in the more positive way, as rushed work will get LFS nowhere.
I don't really get where axus gets his feeling that the next patch will make a big difference. It's been said many times that the AI is the main thing along with the GTR cockpits (textures?). Add some tire tweaks and the huge surprise, like the tire sidewalls. That's what I've read. What else is there to make it awesome? Not asking what it is, just checking. Everything else is a plus

Before anyone mentions the said Westhill updates and South city improvements, look at Aston.

Quote from axus :...

The next patch promises to be quite awesome, I think.

Was the last physics patch awesome too?
Yes, it revolutionized the car handling and fixed or at least drastically improved a lot of the tyre issues. If you're referring to the patch X series, just because one letter was dedicated to lots of small things doesn't mean every future patch will only improve small things too. The time will come where aero and damage are fixed, brake wear/fade/heat included, setup options restricted to realistically achievable values, etc etc.

However, one thing will always stay, which are the people who come here and cry and complain about how LFS will die a horrible and lonely death if the devs don't do XYZ right NOW! I wonder when the next Brazilian salesman wave comes...
Quote from AndroidXP :However, one thing will always stay, which are the people who come here and cry and complain about how LFS will die a horrible and lonely death if the devs don't do XYZ right NOW! I wonder when the next Brazilian salesman wave comes...

So true..... wasn't LFS dying a slow death 2 years ago?? And it was still dying a death 1 year ago? And apparently, with more S2 licencesed racers than ever playing online, its still dying a slow death. Makes sense........ NOT.

Fact is, nobody has been promised anything in terms of content or timeline for release so all this "its taking too long" crap is thrown into irrelevance. When you bought S2 (or S1) you knew how it worked and the difference in development schedule, so if you didn't like it, why the hell did you buy it????? And if it you didn't know how it worked when you bought it, you must be a nitwit.
So last patch was 2.5 month ago, so what?

Who of you guys was out for summer holidays this year? Anyone blaming you for taking a break?

Of course it's hard with the "slow" developement sometimes, but I rather wait one or two month more (and knowing that the game is still being worked on) than buying the next cool EA title, get at max. one patch and then buy the next upda... ahm pat.. ahm sorry, game for the full price again.

And at some points the so called less important things have to be done as well. I remember several game magazines critizing the AI in LFS, and now it's being worked on.

Apart from that, Scawen commented on how he's working often enough now, but it seems that he has to point that out again every few month again...

If you guys are really so bored about LFS and its slow progress... hell there are so many other games out there, play them and come back when there is progress. It's still a game afterall and not a religion.

EDIT: